Seemingly trivial things that you give absolutely no f's about, but others go apeshít over.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm in the 'can't be too fussed about coffee' camp. Have a cup it two of instant with milk every day. .

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

There's not being fussed about coffee and there's outing yourself as someone with appalling taste.
    Coffee tastes bad. The world has deluded itself.
    As does alcohol. I don't think anyone ever thought their first coffee or pint of lager tasted amazing. Much is done to actually disguise the taste (especially with alcohol)
    Ahaha you softie.

Booze changes the flavour make up of drinks to highlight different flavours over others. It acts like a solvent for smells and flavours.
    Do you like whisky? (refer to the posts above)
    Ja.

Aren't many spirits I don't like.
    What about that weird stuff the Norwegians drink, made of musk ox urine?*

(*Not completely sure what it is made of, but ours is never getting drunk).
    No idea mate.

I tend to stick to the staples.

TBH if you get any decent spirit, i.e. not the really cheap stuff, it'll be nice.

I got a rather nice mescal for my birthday and it's LOVELY.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,645

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'm in the 'can't be too fussed about coffee' camp. Have a cup it two of instant with milk every day. .

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

There's not being fussed about coffee and there's outing yourself as someone with appalling taste.
    As does alcohol. I don't think anyone ever thought their first coffee or pint of lager tasted amazing. Much is done to actually disguise the taste (especially with alcohol)
    Ahaha you softie.

Booze changes the flavour make up of drinks to highlight different flavours over others. It acts like a solvent for smells and flavours.
    Ja.

No idea mate.

TBH if you get any decent spirit, i.e. not the really cheap stuff, it'll be nice.

Akvavit. Tastes like armpit.

There are also some "artisan" gins out there that would challenge anyone's taste.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

Ja.

No idea mate.

There are also some "artisan" gins out there that would challenge anyone's taste.
    You think the Norwegians care what it tastes like?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

Ja.

No idea mate.

Oh man. I think we're over the worst of it, but the whole Gin thing will end up on talking heads programs in 20 years time as a weird thing people did in the naughties that no-one understands.

There are some great gins out there and I am partial to a decent martini, but come on guys.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    shortfall said:

As above, never really seen the appeal of bourbon which just tastes like bland whiskey with sugar in it to me. Rye I've found to be the opposite, quite harsh but still lacking in flavour. Of all the Scotch I've tried Talisker 10 year old takes some beating but I'm partial to a Speyside and the 17 quid stuff at Aldi is right up there for me. Back to the thread, I read the tasting notes on Masters of Malt and I wonder what the f.uck theyre on. "Liquorice, a pinch of salt and some seaweed give way to cardamom and black pepper". Er, ok if you say so.......

Real ale has gone the same way. Top notes with hints of elderflower over bass notes of chocolate etc.. I drink real ale but can't say I ever think about the flavour over and above do I like it or not. I'm not sure why everything has gone down the wine tasting route of pretentiousness.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    shortfall said:

As above, never really seen the appeal of bourbon which just tastes like bland whiskey with sugar in it to me. Rye I've found to be the opposite, quite harsh but still lacking in flavour. Of all the Scotch I've tried Talisker 10 year old takes some beating but I'm partial to a Speyside and the 17 quid stuff at Aldi is right up there for me. Back to the thread, I read the tasting notes on Masters of Malt and I wonder what the f.uck theyre on. "Liquorice, a pinch of salt and some seaweed give way to cardamom and black pepper". Er, ok if you say so.......

I blame Jilly Goolden for starting this ridiculous one-upmanship in tasting descriptions.

I know what I like, so rarely venture beyond the star rating.

On a side note, if it's Irish, I am rather fond of Slane Whiskey.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,645

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

Ja.

No idea mate.

Oh man. I think we're over the worst of it, but the whole Gin thing will end up on talking heads programs in 20 years time as a weird thing people did in the naughties that no-one understands.

There are some great gins out there and I am partial to a decent martini, but come on guys.
    Well, we needn't keep guessing what the Apprentice candidates will have been up to this year.

Hendrick's Gin | Premium Scottish Gin Infused with Cucumber ...www.hendricksgin.com
    Meet the delightfully peculiar Hendrick's Gin - a most unusual premium gin distilled in Scotland with curious, yet marvellous, infusions of cucumber & rose."
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

It still amazes me that people think they're drinking alcohol for the taste and not the effect. Yes you can enjoy certain drinks but without the effect people would only ever drink the ones where you can't taste the alcohol.
  • rjsterry
    nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

It still amazes me that people think they're drinking alcohol for the taste and not the effect. Yes you can enjoy certain drinks but without the effect people would only ever drink the ones where you can't taste the alcohol.
    Surely not an either/or. The really daft one is people who claim they like the taste of cigarettes.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794
    nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

To be fair, I won't countenance either alcohol free beer or decaffeinated coffee so there is likely something in that. I do like the taste though.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

Nonsense.

I’d drink a lot more whisky if it wouldn’t get me smashed.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I'm rather partial to Ardbeg single malt.

The gin phenomenon leaves me scratching my head.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

I completely disagree with this. If non-alcoholic beer tasted the same as the proper stuff, then I'd drink it as a preference. But the alcohol gives beer a kind of thickness, and really rounds the flavour (if you're not drinking some sh1te like Budweiser).
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

mr_goo likes Ardbeg single malt.
    You wouldn't drink that for effect: that's all about the taste, which is acquired.
    Plus it's expensive these days.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Ben6899 said:

nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

I completely disagree with this. If non-alcoholic beer tasted the same as the proper stuff, then I'd drink it as a preference. But the alcohol gives beer a kind of thickness, and really rounds the flavour (if you're not drinking some sh1te like Budweiser).

Absolutely. Having had about 10 years off alcohol, there's nothing out there to match the complexity of a really good beer or especially a good red wine. I've no idea why that should rely (as it appears to) on the inherent alcohol of these drinks.
  • nickice

nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

mr_goo likes Ardbeg single malt.
    You wouldn't drink that for effect: that's all about the taste, which is acquired.
    Plus it's expensive these days.
    You see I've never really bought the idea of an acquired taste either. It seems to happen with substances that contain drugs like caffeine or alcohol. People might think they like the taste but what they actually like is the effect of the alcohol.
  • nickice
    Ben6899 said:

nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

That's the alcohol and the endorphins (NB not a neuroscientist) that are released when you drink.
  • nickice
    rjsterry said:

nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

Surely not an either/or. The really daft one is people who claim they like the taste of cigarettes.
    It's the same principle. All these things are addictive substances so we come to associate the taste with the substance.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who enjoyed their first drink (though there is a reason alcopops were marketed), cigarette or cup of coffee. Haven't you noticed that a lot of people start by taking sugar in their tea and coffee until they develop dependency.
  • briantrumpet
    nickice said:

Ben6899 said:

nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

That's the alcohol and the endorphins (NB not a neuroscientist) that are released when you drink.
    It's not. If you've never tasted a complex vintage red wine that's like a symphony unfolding on your taste buds with each taste, then that's your loss.
  • nickice
    edited June 2020

nickice said:

Ben6899 said:

nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

It's not. If you've never tasted a complex vintage red wine that's like a symphony unfolding on your taste buds with each taste, then that's your loss.
    I think I can deal with that. What do you think a person who's never drunk alcohol would think of that wine? Most likely that it tastes like fruit juice that's gone off (which, although, simplistic) is what alcohol is. I like wine and I like beer but I'm not deluded (not meant as a personal dig) enough to think it's not really about the effect. There are better or worse ways to deliver alcohol to your system, of course.
  • nickice
    All I had to do was post this link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMyjNBMfopE
  • pblakeney
    nickice said:

I don't think I've ever met anyone who enjoyed their first drink (though there is a reason alcopops were marketed), cigarette or cup of coffee.

Oh! That's not true. I detested coffee, which was usually Nescafe.
    Then on a business trip to Milan we stopped at a services after being picked up at the airport for a break and I was given an espresso. That one cup completely changed my view on coffee, and I view it as my first cup of (real) coffee.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    edited June 2020
    nickice said:

nickice said:

Ben6899 said:

nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

I think I can deal with that. What do you think a person who's never drunk alcohol would think of that wine? Most likely that it tastes like fruit juice that's gone off (which, although, simplistic) is what alcohol is. I like wine and I like beer but I'm not deluded (not meant as a personal dig) enough to think it's not really about the effect. There are better or worse ways to deliver alcohol to your system, of course.

In my experience, often the things that appeal instantly are the things that are one-dimensional; the things that don't reveal themselves on first taste/hearing, often because they are complex, are the things that are the most satisfying in the long term.

If you just like the simple things, fine - but to discount the world of complex flavours in good wine as "fruit juice that's gone off" is rather like dismissing Bach as "Vivaldi that's gone off". I'm fine with people who enjoy Vivaldi and not Bach, but generally they tend not to claim that their limited palate has a scientific basis.
  • rjsterry
    nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

It's the same principle. All these things are addictive substances so we come to associate the taste with the substance.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who enjoyed their first drink (though there is a reason alcopops were marketed), cigarette or cup of coffee. Haven't you noticed that a lot of people start by taking sugar in their tea and coffee until they develop dependency.
    I think that's just children not liking bitter flavours. They don't like dark chocolate either. I think the idea that tea is generally unpalatable and people only drink it for the tiny amount of caffeine is a bit of stretch.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney

In my experience, often the things that appeal instantly are the things that are one-dimensional; the things that don't reveal themselves on first taste/hearing, often because they are complex, are the things that are the most satisfying in the long term.

Oh that is so true on so many levels. I remember recording my weekly new record (This was back in the day ;) ) to C90 and playing it back to back in my car on my commute for a week.
    It became obvious after while that I went off the records I liked on Monday morning while I still listen to the records today that I wasn't sure of on the Monday.

I am aware that perspective just doesn't fit well today. I find it sad. People are missing so much by dismissing after a single listen/view/taste.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • fatted864
    fatted864 Posts: 67
    Theodore Roosevelt
    “Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”
  • rick_chasey
    Our own resident Jordan Peterson 😂😂
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Why does having a drink have to be a difficult complex experience?

I could no doubt get a complexity of flavours drinking water from the ditches I pass on my rides, and if I did it often enough, I'm sure I could "acquire the taste" for it. But I'm not going to.

I appreciate the difference between Bach and Vivaldi, I like them both, but neither of them kill my brain cells.

I like a glass of wine or cider occasionally, but my life seems to have got better since massively reducing my alcohol intake.
  • nickice
    rjsterry said:

nickice said:

rjsterry said:

nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

I think that's just children not liking bitter flavours. They don't like dark chocolate either. I think the idea that tea is generally unpalatable and people only drink it for the tiny amount of caffeine is a bit of stretch.
    Actually, the video I posted is of adults trying alcohol for the first time. If tea is so great then why do we add milk (and often sugar) to it? And the amount of caffeine in tea is not negligible. The caffeine gives you a kick and you come to associate that with the taste. I like tea and coffee and I like alcohol (though I drink much less than when I was younger) but I know they're all addictive.
  • nickice

nickice said:

nickice said:

Ben6899 said:

nickice said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh mate.

Appalling behaviour.

Ahaha you softie.

If you just like the simple things, fine - but to discount the world of complex flavours in good wine as "fruit juice that's gone off" is rather like dismissing Bach as "Vivaldi that's gone off". I'm fine with people who enjoy Vivaldi and not Bach, but generally they tend not to claim that their limited palate has a scientific basis.
    Music isn't, basically, a poison. I'm not disputing the fact that some wines taste better than others but what I am saying is that alcohol basically tastes horrible and the rest is just trying to make the alcohol palatable. I think the science behind what alcohol does is pretty clear.