Seemingly trivial things that you give absolutely no f's about, but others go apeshít over.

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    shortfall said:

I was going to write "Cake Stop going AWOL", then I thought about it, and decided I did actually miss it, even if the world didn't stop spinning in the meantime.

In the absence of Cakestop I found that logging onto Twitter provided a similar experience of metropolitan liberals looking down their noses at everyone who don't share their opinions. 😉
    Aww, I'm touched that you missed us.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457

"projecting soft power"

is this a uniquely British thing to kid ourselves we are still a major player?

Taken as a whole, I'd say the UK still punches slightly above its weight.

Not a world power, but a long way off bottom of the league.

I just don't get why a load of supposed nationalists and patriots would want to further hurt Britain's standing in the world by removing soft power.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    Jeremy.89 said:

"projecting soft power"

I just don't get why a load of supposed nationalists and patriots would want to further hurt Britain's standing in the world by removing soft power.
    People that argue that because they don't watch it, they shouldn't pay for it also miss the point*.

*I accept that the licence fee structure makes it seem like a subscriber model rather than a tax to fund an independent media which is what it actually is.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,539

shortfall said:

I was going to write "Cake Stop going AWOL", then I thought about it, and decided I did actually miss it, even if the world didn't stop spinning in the meantime.

In the absence of Cakestop I found that logging onto Twitter provided a similar experience of metropolitan liberals looking down their noses at everyone who don't share their opinions. 😉
    You will note the absence of the word 'elite' in SF's post ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    edited June 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

You will note the absence of the word 'elite' in SF's post ;)
    That's why I thought I might be included 😀
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585
    Stevo_666 said:

Actually the thick end of a week with no Leftiebollox, Eurobollox or COVIDbollox has been quite refreshing. Good to see that life goes on without the forum.

Didn't take you long to come back for more though. You must have been forlornly checking regularly for the last few days to see if it was back up and running.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,539
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Actually the thick end of a week with no Leftiebollox, Eurobollox or COVIDbollox has been quite refreshing. Good to see that life goes on without the forum.

Didn't take you long to come back for more though. You must have been forlornly checking regularly for the last few days to see if it was back up and running.
    Just reading stuff in the media was good as it was far more balanced than in this forum.

So what are you doing here? ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Pross
    edited June 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Just reading stuff in the media was good as it was far more balanced than in this forum.

Not complaining about the political leanings of other posters ;)
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Not complaining about the political leanings of other posters ;)
    In general, the political leanings of Cakestoppers seem to be at odds to those of people in the big wide world.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited June 2020
    I'll give the liberals here their props as most of them are intelligent and can articulate their case well (with the odd notable exception ahem). What I find unusual about Cakestop however is that the discussion and standpoints are very different from the ones I have within my circle of friends, immediate family and workmates. That could well be something to do with the fact that Ive worked for nearly 40 years in male dominated, and heavily unionised manual occupations in the north of England I suppose which I'm guessing isnt the demographic here. I have no way of knowing this for sure but my assumptions picked up from the 3 or 4 years I've been active on this forum is that people like me and those who share my views are in a small minority in a group over represented by well off metropolitan types . Even the people who are my allies in debate seem to live in the South and move and work in very different circles to me. I'm not sure why this should be the case on a cycling forum of all places but FWIW I think that can make it seem like an echo chamber a lot of the time and the range of opinions on show certainly doesn't seem to reflect the recent referendum and election results. That said I did miss it when it was offline.
  • Pross
    Maybe I've been brainwashed. I'm just from a working class family in the Valleys whose natural political leaning is slightly right of centre.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641
    shortfall said:

I'll give the liberals here their props as most of them are intelligent and can articulate their case well (with the odd notable exception ahem). What I find unusual about Cakestop however is that the discussion and standpoints are very different from the ones I have within my circle of friends, immediate family and workmates. That could well be something to do with the fact that Ive worked for nearly 40 years in male dominated, and heavily unionised manual occupations in the north of England I suppose which I'm guessing isnt the demographic here. I have no way of knowing this for sure but my assumptions picked up from the 3 or 4 years I've been active on this forum is that people like me and those who share my views are in a small minority in a group over represented by well off metropolitan types . Even the people who are my allies in debate seem to live in the South and move and work in very different circles to me. I'm not sure why this should be the case on a cycling forum of all places but FWIW I think that can make it seem like an echo chamber a lot of the time and the range of opinions on show certainly doesn't seem to reflect the recent referendum and election results. That said I did miss it when it was offline.

A lot of people here post while at work. That means there is a natural bias against manual occupations.
  • shortfall

shortfall said:

A lot of people here post while at work. That means there is a natural bias against manual occupations.
    I hadn't thought of that. Explains a lot.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Jeremy.89 said:

"projecting soft power"

I you are serious then they don’t like doling out money for free, the new way allows them to trade aid for defence contracts. If you believe aid is a way of projecting soft power then at least their way has more honesty.

With aircraft carriers, 3rd highest aid bill and the BBC we really pay a lot of money to feel good about projecting soft power
  • surrey_commuter
    Pross said:

Maybe I've been brainwashed. I'm just from a working class family in the Valleys whose natural political leaning is slightly right of centre.

So at home you are seen as a borderline Nazi and on here (by the labelists) a radical leftie?
  • surrey_commuter
    shortfall said:

Lack of pensioners on a cycling forum will also skew the results. What % of 30-60’s got out and actually voted leave or Tory.

I would only say I know how two forumites voted, the others I have no idea.
    What is your perception of the political bias of this forum..

It seems pretty centrist tome and would have elected Blair and Cameron.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    Cameron? Camoron? Doubt that.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

shortfall said:

So when people use the phrase 'metropolitan elite' to describe the middle class posters on here, it has some merit?

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737

shortfall said:

So when people use the phrase 'metropolitan elite' to describe the middle class posters on here, it has some merit?

Haha don’t flatter yourself, Bally.
  • Pross

Pross said:

So at home you are seen as a borderline Nazi and on here (by the labelists) a radical leftie?
    Pretty much though oddly many life long Labour voters in these parts have pretty right wing views when it comes to immigration or crime and punishment!
  • shortfall
    edited June 2020
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737
    If it makes you feel better Shortfall, people like you and Stevo and Bally are really the only people I interact with on the topic who share a load of values you would typically see on the modern right. And I talk to a lot of people for a living.

I have a boss who’s a Brexiter but he never really wants the argument; though it is clear what I think of the whole process and I don’t shy away from that.
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457

Jeremy.89 said:

"projecting soft power"

I you are serious then they don’t like doling out money for free, the new way allows them to trade aid for defence contracts. If you believe aid is a way of projecting soft power then at least their way has more honesty.

With aircraft carriers, 3rd highest aid bill and the BBC we really pay a lot of money to feel good about projecting soft power
    The aircraft carriers would be the opposite of soft power though surely?

Besides the nationalists are always saying its not about the money with brexit.

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

shortfall said:

If people want to place others on the "Elite" pedestal, they can please themselves.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Shall we get back on topic.........................

People getting way over-the-top excited about a tv series and telling me "You MUST watch it." No, I really don't need to, the world will not stop revolving on its axis if I don't watch Killing Eve. Or Breaking Bad. Or any of the similar series that folks seem to be intoxicated by.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,926

Shall we get back on topic.........................

People getting way over-the-top excited about a tv series and telling me "You MUST watch it." No, I really don't need to, the world will not stop revolving on its axis if I don't watch Killing Eve. Or Breaking Bad. Or any of the similar series that folks seem to be intoxicated by.

I'd agree with all that. Six Feet Under. Mad Men.

But you really must see The Wire.
  • surrey_commuter
    Jeremy.89 said:

Jeremy.89 said:

"projecting soft power"

The aircraft carriers would be the opposite of soft power though surely?

Besides the nationalists are always saying its not about the money with brexit.

for nationalists it seems there is no price too high for regaining sovereignty
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    People who get over excited about not having seen certain TV shows and movies, like it is a badge of honour of some sort.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    There is also a small subset of people who get a bit over enthusiastic about BBC world service and Radio 4, because knowing about Guatemalan domestic politics and thought for the day is somehow vituous.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847

People who get over excited about not having seen certain TV shows and movies, like it is a badge of honour of some sort.

:D