Seemingly trivial things that you give absolutely no f's about, but others go apeshít over.

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    Pross said:

Anyway.

Any superhero film which seems to break box office records every time they’re released

Was going to be my choice. Alongside science fiction they have no real-life rules they need to follow and yet somehow manage to follow the same, formulaic plot everyone and the fight scenes between two 'indestructible' superheroes are just mind-numbingly boring.
    Following on and we have CGI: just 21st animation, yet it dominates today's cinema and has become the substitute for a decent script. A great example of the misuse of technology.
    Usually looks about as real as a 7 pound note, yet often gets rave revues.
    Will be laughed at in the near future.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    rjsterry said:

Football.

I like football but what I'll never understand is grown men caring enough that when their club team loses they can't enjoy the rest of the day/weekend/week. I lost that for my local team when I was about 12.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    the Rothschilds
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

Pross said:

Anyway.

Any superhero film which seems to break box office records every time they’re released

Was going to be my choice. Alongside science fiction they have no real-life rules they need to follow and yet somehow manage to follow the same, formulaic plot everyone and the fight scenes between two 'indestructible' superheroes are just mind-numbingly boring.
    Following on and we have CGI: just 21st animation, yet it dominates today's cinema and has become the substitute for a decent script. A great example of the misuse of technology.
    Usually looks about as real as a 7 pound note, yet often gets rave revues.
    Will be laughed at in the near future.
    Out of fashion now but (Pixar co-fouder) John Lasseter's observation that the inventors and early adopters of CGI had no concept of how to tell a story still holds true for many studios.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    nickice said:

rjsterry said:

Football.

I like football but what I'll never understand is grown men caring enough that when their club team loses they can't enjoy the rest of the day/weekend/week. I lost that for my local team when I was about 12.
    Everyone wants to belong to something. Apparently.

Also: cars
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    People being paid a lot.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

People being paid a lot.

Intensely relaxed about that are you?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

People being paid a lot.

can I add especially the amount footballers get paid usually backed up by the moronic "just for kicking a ball around"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738

People being paid a lot.

Wehay.

Nah it's not people being paid a lot that gets me excitable. People being paid not enough, sure, fine, that will get me out of bed, but someone doing well for themselves? Go for it.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

People being paid a lot.

Wehay.

Nah it's not people being paid a lot that gets me excitable. People being paid not enough, sure, fine, that will get me out of bed, but someone doing well for themselves? Go for it.
    Absolutely. I'm perpetually dismayed by the zero-sum mentality that says people can only get rich by making other people poorer.
  • Driving to Durham
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

People being paid a lot.

Wehay.

Absolutely. I'm perpetually dismayed by the zero-sum mentality that says people can only get rich by making other people poorer.
    I agree but I always have a niggling doubt when it comes to immovable property. Especially in more crowded areas of the country.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

People being paid a lot.

Wehay.

Same. People furious that so and so is a billionaire. Fair play to so and so, don't whinge to me about it or expect me to give anything more than zero f*cks.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    8ft chunks of cast bronze and/or their eventual plight.

I don't have the energy for it, more than anything, to be honest.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • That there are only two genders for a human being
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Going to the pub and drinking alcohol in general. Don't get me wrong, I'm not tee total and I enjoy a drink or the pub occasionally but I don't get the whole having to go out to the pub a couple of times a week or having to have a drink every evening. I got bored of it in my mid 20s.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Love Island.

Seriously, WTF.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,268

Love Island.

Seriously, WTF.

They should do it socially distanced this year, and the first two weeks is in isolation.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,559
    Edward Colston. (Admittedly the debate on here might be partly down to 'COVID fatigue').
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    The Godfather.

I might have seen it once, can't recall, but there's nothing about even the idea of it that would make me want to watch it. The same goes for The Krays and Kill Bill.

The older I get, the better I was.

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    I love the Godfather trilogy - even the third one. It's head and shoulders above its imitators. I guess I watched it at an impressionable age (13 or 14) in the 80s when it was fairly new.

Very quotable.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Facebook.
    Twitter.
    Instagram.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    BBC impartiality.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Horse racing.
    Used to watch all sorts of sport on the two Saturday afternoon shows of the 70’s and 80’s. Never did I ever understand the appeal.
    And no, not a betting man.
  • BBC impartiality.

The BBC are impartial? When did that happen?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited June 2020
    Zwift

Comic Movies (& comic books, but they've never been a big deal)

I've only recently found out that Wakanda and Wattopia aren't the same place...

& Love Island too. In fact any of those TOWIE type shows. I just don't get it...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    morstar said:

Horse racing.
    Used to watch all sorts of sport on the two Saturday afternoon shows of the 70’s and 80’s. Never did I ever understand the appeal.
    And no, not a betting man.

I think you kind of answered your own conundrum. Gambling.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Strava
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816

Love Island.

Seriously, WTF.

Heck, why stop there?

Reality tv.

Oh and talent shows. Zero interest in both.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.