Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396

This Barney Ronay article did make me chuckle a fair bit.

https://theguardian.com/sport/blog/2023/jul/19/jonny-bairstow-catch-bazball-england

The joking aside, it does raise a serious point about the age of our bowling attack (Wood and Woakes are both mid 30's as well). There seems to have been little effort to develop young players. I understand that when you have had an attack led by Anderson and Broad for years, you can get a bit complacent, but in the next year or 2 we will be in big trouble if we have no real Test quality replacements.

I think there are a few waiting in the wings but the best / most proven happen to be that bit older. I still struggle to think of Broad being in his late 30s and think of him being not much older than the kid who made his test debut 16 years ago now! Wood obviously hasn't played a huge amount of Test cricket due to injuries but that might mean he is able to prolong his career and he should have a few years left in him.

England gave Tongue a run out in the Ireland match and the 1st Test and he'll no doubt be one for the future. There are a few others that have a bit of Test experience such as Curran and Overton. Hopefully Archer can get through his injuries and come back again too.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    What's happened to Olly Stone and Saqib Mahmood? I seem to recall they were on the fringes a couple of years ago before injuries.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited July 2023
    Either 500 by the end of the day or all out by lunch.

Fingers crossed for the first 🤞
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

This Barney Ronay article did make me chuckle a fair bit.

https://theguardian.com/sport/blog/2023/jul/19/jonny-bairstow-catch-bazball-england

The joking aside, it does raise a serious point about the age of our bowling attack (Wood and Woakes are both mid 30's as well). There seems to have been little effort to develop young players. I understand that when you have had an attack led by Anderson and Broad for years, you can get a bit complacent, but in the next year or 2 we will be in big trouble if we have no real Test quality replacements.

I think there are a few waiting in the wings but the best / most proven happen to be that bit older. I still struggle to think of Broad being in his late 30s and think of him being not much older than the kid who made his test debut 16 years ago now! Wood obviously hasn't played a huge amount of Test cricket due to injuries but that might mean he is able to prolong his career and he should have a few years left in him.

England gave Tongue a run out in the Ireland match and the 1st Test and he'll no doubt be one for the future. There are a few others that have a bit of Test experience such as Curran and Overton. Hopefully Archer can get through his injuries and come back again too.
    If I was Archer I would forget about Test cricket and see how long I could make my T20 career last
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,423
    Ali playing alright at 3 so far, 31 off 44 so he's done a job, especially with Duckett going so early - for me anything else is a bonus from here from him.
  • bobmcstuff
    Also very confident in getting a full day's play today, once again the forecast showers early on didn't appear (there were a few spots when I went for a run this morning, and I'm about 6 miles East of the ground).

On Saturday it really depends on the timing, I reckon there might still be some chance of some play in the afternoon.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Batted Mo!
  • bobmcstuff
    Yep.

Think this performance from Crawley and Ali highlights how the Aussies underperformed.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    I was a bit concerned at 9-1, but we already have two batters scoring more than any of the Australia side. Ali doing well as effectively an opener.
  • On Saturday it really depends on the timing, I reckon there might still be some chance of some play in the afternoon.

Let's hope so. Irrespective of who wins, t would be a great shame if the series was decided by the weather and not general play.

Fair play to Moeen, he had the guts to step up to 3 and has delivered. I did think if he cut the stupid 20/20 shots (mostly) out of is game that he could still score some handy runs. This has gone well beyond 'handy' though!
  • bobmcstuff
    Sunday will be on off all day I think. I would have thought if we get 4 days in total there will be a result - although chasing in those conditions might be tough.

And that's Ali out for 54 - can't complain about that I'd say.
  • Tashman
    Root coming in at 130 with 27 overs on the ball is definitely preferable.
    I think Crawley has been quite underrated in this series. He's scored swiftly and consistently throughout
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    And then Ali gives a catch to the same place that he got dropped less than an over ago.
  • bobmcstuff
    Well, scoring rate has gone up!
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2023
    Someone in the pub here said Zak must have nine lives - well if he does he's used them all now!!
  • Tashman
    Ton up for Creepy
  • 8 an over for the last 10!

They are definitely playing for the weather now.

I don't want to jinx it but we have played this Test pretty flawlessly so far, the Aussies look baffled at the moment. Hope it continues!
  • bobmcstuff
    I really hope Australia come to regret their team selection - they're now bowling two part timers in Marsh and Head.
  • bobmcstuff

I really hope Australia come to regret their team selection - they're now bowling two part timers in Marsh and Head.

Well 2 no balls in an over won't help them.
  • Pross

8 an over for the last 10!

They are definitely playing for the weather now.

I don't want to jinx it but we have played this Test pretty flawlessly so far, the Aussies look baffled at the moment. Hope it continues!

Think what they'll do if they get their noses in front with plenty of wickets in hand!
  • JimD666
    Rather entertaining afternoon session 😁
  • Pross
    Duckett must be livid that he missed out.
  • Think what they'll do if they get their noses in front with plenty of wickets in hand!

Absolute boundary fest if that happens!
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 289
    What happens if Stokes gets in at 320/4 rather than 100/4, a 60 ball 100 or out for 2?
  • JimD666
    Pross said:

Duckett must be livid that he missed out.

He got cracking delivery TBF to him
  • Pross
    Crawley 150 at a run a ball.
  • Tashman
    Brook, Stokes, Bairstow still to come yet too. Plenty of quick runs potential there.
    I recon if required Broad might fancy a swing ahead of Woakes further down the order too.
  • Pross
    Over 300 with just two wickets down. Really didn't see that coming.
  • Pross
    They don't need to do anything different now either, they're scoring quickly so build a healthy lead and try to make it a 3 innings match to insure against the weather.
  • Pross
    Ahead with 8 wickets in hand. Where has this batting been earlier in the series?