Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    172 from 148 balls. Fairly safe to say England need wickets
  • JimD666
    edited July 2023
    Schutt had faced only 14 balls in the last 4 years of ODI's. Shows how often Australia gets bowled out.

England WIN
  • JimD666
    First time Australia have lost a bilateral ODI series in 10 years.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,423
    Australia lose both white ball series!

Such a shame they couldn't win that second ODI
  • bobmcstuff

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492

Not jealous at all, honest!!
  • JimD666
    Toss won and we're bowling.

Sky on the TV. No sound. TMS on the Phone for the commentry. And the pad is ready with GCN for the cycling.

Gonna be a good day.

I hope 😉
  • JimD666
    Nice too see Bairstow filling people with confidence right from the beginning. 😟
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    BOOOOOM. Kawaja is a huge wicket, I think.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,061
    I've not been to watch cricket in years, then all of a sudden I'm going twice in 2 weeks. A mate has got tickets to go see Kent v Surrey at the Oval on 11th August then the boss called me this morning to ask if I wanted to see the Ashes on Thursday next week. Not a bad couple of freebies.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535
    Warner gone for 32
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Unfortunately with the forecast not showing any improvement for the weekend I think Aus just need to bat through today and the Ashes will very probably be theirs.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Smith gone....
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535
    Need some wickets pretty quickly I think . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Bairstow grabs a screamer apparently. Could that be the trigger he needs!!
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2023
    Bairstow!! That was awesome. Two wickets in an over from Woakes!

All 3 umpire reviews have been amazing in the ground as well.
  • verylonglegs
    It would be nice. If we can clean up the tail quickly then it is certainly game on.
  • bobmcstuff

Wish I hadn't worn black jeans... was very damp when I left home this morning.
  • bobmcstuff

Unfortunately with the forecast not showing any improvement for the weekend I think Aus just need to bat through today and the Ashes will very probably be theirs.

The weather today has been much nicer than forecast and the scattered showers didn't materialise. So I wouldn't write it off that quickly.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    Honours about even at the end of day 1? Quite a few of the Aussies got in but failed to go on to big scores. Need to mop up the final two wickets quickly and not let them add a chunk of runs like in other matches. The weather is not England’s friend though so they don’t want to waste time wrapping it up either.
  • verylonglegs

The weather today has been much nicer than forecast and the scattered showers didn't materialise. So I wouldn't write it off that quickly.
    I don't want to, I'm relying on your local knowledge to come good!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Good catch by Bairstow
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross said:

Honours about even at the end of day 1? Quite a few of the Aussies got in but failed to go on to big scores. Need to mop up the final two wickets quickly and not let them add a chunk of runs like in other matches. The weather is not England’s friend though so they don’t want to waste time wrapping it up either.

Average first innings Test score at Old Trafford is 382. And given today was undoubtedly a batting day in the end, 299 for 8 is well below par.
  • bobmcstuff
    Put it this way, if we'd batted today and got to 299/8 I'd have been disappointed.
  • JimD666
    Hopefully you had a good day out though
  • bobmcstuff
    JimD666 said:

Hopefully you had a good day out though

I had an incredible day out, I was in free hospitality with my old man!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396
    That catch from Bairstow was a cracker to be fair. Nice to see him have the confidence to dive across first slip too as he sometimes leaves those. Even he looked surprised when he saw it in his glove.
  • This Barney Ronay article did make me chuckle a fair bit.

https://theguardian.com/sport/blog/2023/jul/19/jonny-bairstow-catch-bazball-england

The joking aside, it does raise a serious point about the age of our bowling attack (Wood and Woakes are both mid 30's as well). There seems to have been little effort to develop young players. I understand that when you have had an attack led by Anderson and Broad for years, you can get a bit complacent, but in the next year or 2 we will be in big trouble if we have no real Test quality replacements.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

This Barney Ronay article did make me chuckle a fair bit.

https://theguardian.com/sport/blog/2023/jul/19/jonny-bairstow-catch-bazball-england

The joking aside, it does raise a serious point about the age of our bowling attack (Wood and Woakes are both mid 30's as well). There seems to have been little effort to develop young players. I understand that when you have had an attack led by Anderson and Broad for years, you can get a bit complacent, but in the next year or 2 we will be in big trouble if we have no real Test quality replacements.

I have always wondered why we don't give up and comers experience in dead rubbers and against sh1t opposition.

ie Jack Leach should have an understudy who should have played against Ireland, as should our nominated back up opener.
  • I have always wondered why we don't give up and comers experience in dead rubbers and against censored opposition.

ie Jack Leach should have an understudy who should have played against Ireland, as should our nominated back up opener.

Completely agree with this. We have had a good 4-5 years to plan and develop players in light of Broad and Anderson's respective ages. Even if you are playing them against weaker opposition you are still giving them a feel for Test cricket and integrating them into the team environment.