Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535
    Bairstow was magnificent!

Here we go . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,423
    You guys are being too negative, Sunday doesn't look that bad - even if it does rain its going to be on/off. They need to get 275 now, I think they might struggle even to make that.
  • bobmcstuff
    Someone's flying a plane round the ground with "we're gonna win 3 2" behind it.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,395
    Left stranded on 99! Sums up his series a bit
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Pross said:

Bairstow having a far better match.

but could his century end up costing us the match and the Ashes?

Letting him get a sympathy century has cost us an hour and counting
    Nah there's going to be plenty of play on Sunday I reckon. The score is getting to the point now where Australia won't be able to chase it and we won't need to bat again.
    I just don't get why you would risk running out of time with an excess of runs rather than declaring early and knocking off a small chase. It just seems an obvious way to optimise your time.
  • bobmcstuff
    Woody!

Waiting for DRS in the ground is so much fun
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Boom Khawaja caught. Waste of review.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Rather a quiet and staid sounding crowd.....

• bobmcstuff
    JimD666 said:

Rather a quiet and staid sounding crowd.....

You what... was raucous for that whole Wood over
  • JimD666
    I really need to use more emojis apparently.....😜
  • bobmcstuff
    Haha OK... it got a bit quieter after a few overs with no real chances tbf. Watching Wood bowl is something else.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    WAAAAARNER yessss

Smith now the big threat
  • JimD666

WAAAAARNER yessss

Smith now the big threat

It's just not the same when it isn't Broad getting him😉
  • bobmcstuff
    It's starting to reverse - Anderson got some great movement there.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644
    Bit late to the party here but a couple of questions.

When did bowlers start running in with the ball in their non bowling hand? Wood, Anderson. Was that always a thing?

And why is Ronald Weasley keeping wicket for England?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • JimD666
    For the first time the series I've actually got us a wicket rather than cost us one.

Been out with the dog, got back stuck the radio on and we get Smith with the first delivery
  • bobmcstuff
    seanoconn said:

When did bowlers start running in with the ball in their non bowling hand? Wood, Anderson. Was that always a thing?

Hiding the ball - they think it is starting to reverse swing, but in any case - they shine the ball on one side and make the other side rough to cause it to move through the air and deceive the batsman (maybe you knew that already!), but this means the batter has a clue as to what the balls going to do if he can see it. Wood particularly has been hiding the ball till the last moment so the batter doesn't know if it will swing towards or away from him.
  • Pross
    One more tonight would be nice
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644

seanoconn said:

Hiding the ball - they think it is starting to reverse swing, but in any case - they shine the ball on one side and make the other side rough to cause it to move through the air and deceive the batsman (maybe you knew that already!), but this means the batter has a clue as to what the balls going to do if he can see it. Wood particularly has been hiding the ball till the last moment so the batter doesn't know if it will swing towards or away from him.
    Clears that up nicely, I should have known that.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Pross
    Tomorrow afternoon looks like there might be a break in the rain. Light might still be an issue though.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    If England want to make the most of the time available, why don't they bowl their overs?
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2023
    Hmm, Sunday forecast has got worse.

So far the weather has been much better than forecast though so we will see.

Looking at it, it's quite a narrow band of rain so we just have to hope it goes slightly further north or south.
  • No point trying to second guess this weather, it is what it is at the moment. Three times this week I have been out on the bike with the forecast saying less than 10% chance of rain. It has bucketed down every time.

Last week it was 60% thunder on a couple of occasions and was bone dry!
  • bobmcstuff
    Yeah which is why I'm reasonably optimistic about there being some breaks tomorrow.

It's just if the outfield is soaked I guess.
  • I think they will manage to cobble enough play together to get a result. A complete washout or enough of one to save the Aussies is unlikely.
  • bobmcstuff
    Just walked home from the pub, 90% chance of rain apparently but its not raining. After lunch tomorrow is meant to be 50-60%. Let's see.
  • Pross
    It’s one of those where the forecasters are saying one thing whilst the radar they are using says something else. On the Met Office app tomorrow looks a write off but the radar on BBC shows it clearing up a lot by lunch and the BBC forecaster said she’s optimistic. Today they reckon play is unlikely but the radar shows some decent breaks in the rain, whether it will be enough to dry the pitch and get out there is probably the main issue.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

It’s one of those where the forecasters are saying one thing whilst the radar they are using says something else. On the Met Office app tomorrow looks a write off but the radar on BBC shows it clearing up a lot by lunch and the BBC forecaster said she’s optimistic. Today they reckon play is unlikely but the radar shows some decent breaks in the rain, whether it will be enough to dry the pitch and get out there is probably the main issue.

It really is not looking good.

Let’s hope Bairstow doesn’t Want to open the bowling at the Oval.
  • bobmcstuff
    Moist here this morning.

Looks like a few hours after lunch where it could be alright, I think I'll head over in a bit and chance it.
  • bobmcstuff
    It's actually hardly raining here, further proving my point that the forecasts are way too conservative as its meant to be 90% chance of heavy rain. There was a while earlier on where it sounded quite heavy but I wasn't looking.

To be honest I am quite glad of a later start and some quiet time this morning because 3 days in a row has really taken it out of me :p