Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Somerset show you don't have to have games of 200+ to make T20 interesting. Stunning bowling performance in both the semi and final. Congrats to my Northern neighbours.. 😉
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,423
    JimD666 said:

Somerset show you don't have to have games of 200+ to make T20 interesting. Stunning bowling performance in both the semi and final. Congrats to my Northern neighbours.. 😉

Yeah I watched that, taking full advantage of the Sky sub I took out for the ashes...

Travesty that the Blast is behind a paywall. If it wasn't there would be no need for the Hundred.
  • bobmcstuff
    JimD666 said:

Ashwin took 5-60 and 7-71 and wasn't man of the match.

What was the crowd like? Numbers wise.
    I don't think it was a big crowd from the few clips I saw. Apparently it was a rubbish pitch as well.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    edited July 2023
    JimD666 said:

Yes, well done to Somerset. My Hampshire lot were well and truly stuffed by DLS though. Gutted we can't win it every year though 😁
  • JimD666
    Tashman said:

JimD666 said:

Yes, well done to Somerset. My Hampshire lot were well and truly stuffed by DLS though. Gutted we can't win it every year though 😁
    Not to sure how to deal with DLS and T20. Been suggestions that they also reduce the number of wickets a side has as well. Just can't see how it would work in practise. Yes DLS is better than the old way of doing it but it still sucks.

2nd Womens ODI due to start at 11. England won the toss and put the Aussies in to bat.

Must win match.

Again.

While my nerves wish for a easy game, frankly I prefer the nail biters. Far more memorable.

• JimD666
    Ruddy fielding again. 😒

Lauren Bell bowled a decent 8 overs. Pity about the 9th and final one.

283 runs to win. Another record chase required
  • bobmcstuff
    Think they should bring the boundaries in more for the women.

This is going to be tense again!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804

Preferably between the innings today.

• bobmcstuff
    Well another very tense game, just going the wrong way in the end.

I really thought that was going to go to a super over at the end there :D
  • bobmcstuff
    They should have brought Cross up the order!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804

They should have brought Cross up the order!

Yeah, the lass who was in with Sciver-Brunt there seemed a much less capable hitter.

• JimD666
    Gutted for them. Hopefully they can bounce back at Taunton on Tuesday and win the ODI series 2-1
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

This is going to be tense again!

I think that would clash with the fielding circle
  • Anderson in for Robinson and Moeen batting at 3 as we all suspected. I was rather surprised to find that Moeen actually scored 293 runs at nearly 37 avg in the 2015 Ashes, that was the 6th highest batting stats overall on both teams, ahead of Bell and Stokes and only slightly behind Cook! I know that was almost a decade a go but shows if he bats properly he is more than competent.
  • surrey_commuter

Anderson in for Robinson and Moeen batting at 3 as we all suspected. I was rather surprised to find that Moeen actually scored 293 runs at nearly 37 avg in the 2015 Ashes, that was the 6th highest batting stats overall on both teams, ahead of Bell and Stokes and only slightly behind Cook! I know that was almost a decade a go but shows if he bats properly he is more than competent.

That was before he got found out. Getting him out with the new ball will be childs play for Cummins/Starc. Like picking Bairstow it feels unfair to put him in the situation.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535
    Looking at the forecast, I fear rain is going to win The Ashes for Australia . . . hope I'm wrong
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

Looking at the forecast, I fear rain is going to win The Ashes for Australia . . . hope I'm wrong

Was going to say the same thing, team selection may turn out to be irrelevant.
  • Tashman

Just have to find a way to knock them over in 2 1/2 days
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535
    Tashman said:

Just have to find a way to knock them over in 2 1/2 days
    I think a first innings declaration is on the cards . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • That was before he got found out. Getting him out with the new ball will be childs play for Cummins/Starc. Like picking Bairstow it feels unfair to put him in the situation.

You are probably right. I guess the experiment lives or dies on how well Root and Brook do batting in their favoured positions. If Moeen has a placebo effect of allowing those two to play their normal games and score runs I guess it will be a success. If he is toppled quickly and they follow suit then it was a pointless exercise. Part of me thinks Root should step up and bat at 3.
  • surrey_commuter

That was before he got found out. Getting him out with the new ball will be childs play for Cummins/Starc. Like picking Bairstow it feels unfair to put him in the situation.

You are probably right. I guess the experiment lives or dies on how well Root and Brook do batting in their favoured positions. If Moeen has a placebo effect of allowing those two to play their normal games and score runs I guess it will be a success. If he is toppled quickly and they follow suit then it was a pointless exercise. Part of me thinks Root should step up and bat at 3.
    I think Stoke is a better option at 3.

If you had Ali coming in after Woakes you have a strong tail
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2023

I am going to days 1, 3 and 4 so I have been following the forecast very closely (not least because the Friday tickets are very expensive hospitality ones for my dad's birthday, so I would like to see some play...) - it depends which forecast you follow, BBC looks decidedly more gloomy for Saturday and Sunday, Met Office suggests shower affected to a greater or lesser extent.

I personally find the BBC forecast to be total rubbish, if that makes any odds... But a forecast today for Saturday or Sunday is pretty unreliable at this stage either way.

I'll take showers throughout though which is what the Met Office suggests - I'm of the mind that the more English the conditions, the more the Aussies will struggle...
  • surrey_commuter

I am going to days 1, 3 and 4 - it depends which forecast you follow, BBC looks decidedly more gloomy for Saturday and Sunday, Met Office suggests shower affected.

I personally find the BBC forecast to be total rubbish, if that makes any odds...
    BBC forecast is very negative
  • bobmcstuff

I am going to days 1, 3 and 4 - it depends which forecast you follow, BBC looks decidedly more gloomy for Saturday and Sunday, Met Office suggests shower affected.

I personally find the BBC forecast to be total rubbish, if that makes any odds...
    BBC forecast is very negative
    I find it much less accurate than the Met Office which is good then!
  • bobmcstuff
    edited July 2023
    The Met Office doesn't go as far out as the BBC, but their rainfall map for Saturday doesn't look great so far (only runs up to early hours of Sat morning so far).

There's a system coming in off the Atlantic into Saturday so it depends where it ends up tracking as to how much and how long it rains for, and I know from experience that where it tracks can be quite changeable. So it could end up raining pretty much all day or it might just as easily track slightly further South, so it could be anything from a complete washout to not that bad.

If I had to gamble I think there will be a slightly late start Wednesday, we should see more or less a full day Thursday (maybe a shower or two), and similar Friday but more showers. Saturday forecast could go either way at this stage. Annoyingly Saturday is the one day I won't be under cover.

They should pre-emptively extend play to 7pm on the first 3 days...
  • BBC weather is outsourced to an American company. They put worst case scenario as a matter of choice as they think it is better to prepare people for any eventuality. Agree that it just ends up being largely innaccurate.
  • bobmcstuff
    Detailed rain forecast on the met office has gone out a bit further on Met Office and it does look moist on Saturday... looks like it might not be a total washout though, maybe better later in the day.

First 3 days might get through largely uninterrupted 🤞

Plenty of time to change though.
  • Tashman
    edited July 2023
    Rate climbing nicely at the minute. Let's hope they can maintain it with Wyatt gone. NS-B does love batting against the Aussies!
  • bobmcstuff
    Going to be tight again I bet!

Also we are probably going to lose most of Saturday - any play would be a bonus I think. Looks like there could be some play in the afternoon, the rain is generally forecast to be pretty light. Sunday similar but throughout the day.

I think we will get through most if not all of the first 3 days though.
  • bobmcstuff
    Rain delay - Australia are behind on DLS as well :#