Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    Put Bairstow in at number 3. Make him a lightning rod for the batting as well.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    England Women requiring 264 to win the 1st ODI. Some very poor catching (and one world class grab) not helping the cause. It would be England's highest run chase in a ODI against a team who have won 41 out of their last 42 ODI's
  • kingstongraham
    JimD666 said:

England Women requiring 264 to win the 1st ODI. Some very poor catching (and one world class grab) not helping the cause. It would be England's highest run chase in a ODI against a team who have won 41 out of their last 42 ODI's

20 overs gone and well up on the required rate.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,423
    They'll either win or get bowled out - rate isn't an issue but only 4 wickets left...
  • JimD666
    Nervous. Fun but definitely nervous
  • bobmcstuff

I think having Ali there is their best option at the moment - moving Brook up obviously didn't work and his runs are key, Root likes 4 (although he's not been at his best either), and Bairstow needs some time off after keeping before batting, to be fair. And Stokes seems to be really good at batting with the tail, Australia are obviously scared of him so putting him up against the newer ball and risking losing him early isn't a great idea.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    *Disclaimer I am not a cricket fan*

My daughter had a visit at her school from Lauren Bell who appears to be playing in the ashes. My daughter received a signed ball and shirt from her, and was fortunate enough to be paired with her for practice, so is a bit starstruck I think.

We don't have sky, and I haven't searched too hard yet, but just wondered if anyone knew where she could watch the ashes - I thought I read somewhere C4 had highlights at 7pm, but failed to find any for the days coming up/weekend.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • JimD666
    Kate Cross 😍
  • JimD666
    daniel_b said:

My daughter had a visit at her school from Lauren Bell who appears to be playing in the ashes. My daughter received a signed ball and shirt from her, and was fortunate enough to be paired with her for practice, so is a bit starstruck I think.

We don't have sky, and I haven't searched too hard yet, but just wondered if anyone knew where she could watch the ashes - I thought I read somewhere C4 had highlights at 7pm, but failed to find any for the days coming up/weekend.

iplayer at around 11pm unfortunately
  • bobmcstuff
    Ehm I would have thought it would be on BBC, they have the men's Test highlights, but I can't see anything. Sky often put a 10-12 minute highlights show on YouTube.

That's a nice story though 😀
  • bobmcstuff
    This has been some game, where did Kate Cross get those shots from! Amazing from the number ten.
  • JimD666
    Previous highest run chase for England was 245-7 against NZ.

Cracking game.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    daniel_b said:

BBC also have key moments clips on the sport pages.
  • bobmcstuff

Ehm I would have thought it would be on BBC, they have the men's Test highlights, but I can't see anything. Sky often put a 10-12 minute highlights show on YouTube.

That's a nice story though 😀

ECB on YouTube have just posted a 15 minute highlights of today's game
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I think having Ali there is their best option at the moment - moving Brook up obviously didn't work and his runs are key, Root likes 4 (although he's not been at his best either), and Bairstow needs some time off after keeping before batting, to be fair. And Stokes seems to be really good at batting with the tail, Australia are obviously scared of him so putting him up against the newer ball and risking losing him early isn't a great idea.
    Why would Bairstow need time off after keeping?

It can’t be from concentrating for long spells so I assume it is to put ice on his bruised hands
  • bobmcstuff

Why would Bairstow need time off after keeping?

It can’t be from concentrating for long spells so I assume it is to put ice on his bruised hands
    Yes well his crappy keeping performance aside - if he came in at 3 he could potentially be straight back on again if there's an early wicket. Given he gets worse each innings after keeping, I can see the argument why trying to keep him off the field for a while in between keeping and batting is a good idea.

I still think he should have been dropped mind.

I think if the openers can get through a few overs and tale the shine off the new ball a bit, Ali might be able to get some useful runs.
  • bobmcstuff
    Just found out I have scored a second hospitality ticket for my dad next Wednesday... He's absolutely chuffed.

Now frantically checking the weather forecast! I know it is too far out to be accurate at the moment.
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 2,031
    edited July 2023
    For anyone who has the time and inclination, Times Radio podcasts with Mike Atherton and Gideon Haigh (cricket journo from The Australian) discussing The Ashes are available on Youtube. Very in depth and interesting analysis on the Ashes Tests so far.

Interestingly on the latest one, that they feel Root should bat at 3 for the next Test as our best batsman. As his form has been poor so far I would argue they have a point, he has nothing to lose and if Ali stays at 3, it is unlikely to buy him much more time at 4 anyway.
  • kingstongraham
    Just watched a bit of India batting against WI. It's almost a different sport from the ashes.
  • kingstongraham
    They got through 90 overs in a day though.
  • It is the place Test cricket is destined to end up sadly. Eventually it will be England, Australia and India playing series amongst themselves with perhaps NZ and SA filling in for the odd 2 test series.

Hope I am wrong but I think we will get to a point of maybe 5 test nations left.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396

Just watched a bit of India batting against WI. It's almost a different sport from the ashes.

It’s like a different sport between the two sides from looking at the scorecards. 150 all out of over 60 overs? Of you’re getting out that cheap at least be entertaining.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    I know it's only his 1st test but Jaiswal really does look the part too. It'll be interesting to see how our bowlers deal with him this winter. His past 12 months have been superb.
  • bobmcstuff
    I don't really understand why India kept knocking it around at 2 an over when they already had WI soundly beaten - why not take it on a bit and give some more players a go. Two days of watching paint dry isn't my idea of entertainment.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,396

I don't really understand why India kept knocking it around at 2 an over when they already had WI soundly beaten - why not take it on a bit and give some more players a go. Two days of watching paint dry isn't my idea of entertainment.

One for the purists!
  • JimD666
    Vaughan and Boycott would be in raptures
  • kingstongraham
    Ashwin took 5-60 and 7-71 and wasn't man of the match.

• JimD666
    edited July 2023

What was the crowd like? Numbers wise.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804

Should count himself lucky he got picked.