Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    NZ 222.5 overs for their 655. Eng? 121.2 overs to get the runs. It's mad.

Will be interesting to see the media (and fan) response when it all goes wrong. And it will do at some point.

I'm happy enough though. Would rather get beat swinging a bat than tamely rolling over as has been our recent performances.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Pross said:

Declaration bowling in the 4th innings is a bit of an odd tactic.

not as odd as starting the game with 3 front line seamers and a part time spinner
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,397
    edited June 2022
    Still highly reliant on 3 or 4 batsmen for the runs though and the opening partnership is still a big concern (Broad and Anderson with a better batting average than Crawley!)

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/averages/batting_bowling_by_team.html?id=14150;team=1;type=series
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,978
    JimD666 said:

Will be interesting to see the media (and fan) response when it all goes wrong. And it will do at some point.

I'm happy enough though. Would rather get beat swinging a bat than tamely rolling over as has been our recent performances.

We were only a ridiculous batting performance at number 8 from Overton away from it going horribly wrong here. 55/6 at that time remember.
  • kingstongraham
    Mitchell averaged 107 over 6 innings. Impressive.
  • surrey_commuter

JimD666 said:

We were only a ridiculous batting performance at number 8 from Overton away from it going horribly wrong here. 55/6 at that time remember.
    But the history books will show that we won 3-0
  • Pross

Mitchell averaged 107 over 6 innings. Impressive.

They'd have been completely stuffed without him, he was basically what Root has been for England in the last few years.
  • JimD666
    To the surprise of just about no-one Eoin Morgan has confirmed his retirement from international cricket.

Considering the state of England white ball cricket when he took over, all I can say is "thanks for the memories" :)
  • surrey_commuter
    JimD666 said:

To the surprise of just about no-one Eoin Morgan has confirmed his retirement from international cricket.

Considering the state of England white ball cricket when he took over, all I can say is "thanks for the memories" :)

One for the unpopular opinions thread but based upon his palmares I think he was over rated.

He should have gone after the WC in 2019
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,712
    A new bowling record for Stuart Broad, although it's one he would prefer not to own.
    Most runs conceded in a test over: A mere 35.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JimD666
    They have "highlights" of that over on the BBC live text. WTF are they bowling short for to tailenders?! Pitch it the fcuk up FFS.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    I don't think sending Leach in with 20mins to go was very wise.
  • blazing_saddles
    India had the batting strength to recover from 5 wickets down.
    No way are England’s last 5 wickets capable of producing anything like that.
  • Pross
    Just watched that Broad over, I couldn't workout how he'd gone for 35 and assumed it was something like 5 sizes, a four and a no ball but he 'only' got hit for two three sizes. Shocking bowling for someone so experienced, really don't know what he was trying to do.
  • kingstongraham
    Impressive. At one point he'd gone for 16 and still had 5 balls left in the over.
  • surrey_commuter
    Should have been another no ball so would have been 36+
  • Pross
    India fell apart a bit in their second innings. Didn't see England going into day 5 with a fighting chance this time yesterday.
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

India fell apart a bit in their second innings. Didn't see England going into day 5 with a fighting chance this time yesterday.

I was only 60% confident when they went from 107-0 to 109-3.

But as long as there's Root, there's a good chance, and Bairstow is like Neo at the moment.
  • JimD666
    Who knew chasing 370odd in the 4th innings would end up being a cakewalk?
  • Pross
    Helps when the openers do their job as well.
  • blazing_saddles
    The last month has been quite surreal.
    Today was the icing on England’s cake.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    After watching some of West Indies tour, which was utterly dire, it is difficult to understand where the last four results have come from, still processing what I am seeing!
  • JimD666
    Wonder if the Test guys need to give the white ball lot a few pointers......
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Bring back Morgan...
  • JimD666
    mrb123 said:

Bring back Morgan...

OK that did make me chuckle :)
  • Pross
    Didn't realise there was a Twenty20 on. Turned on to see SA falling apart.

Current over 6 6 wide wide ball that would have been wide but smashed by Bairstow and dropped (for second time) on the boundary 6 6 6
  • Pross
    edited July 2022
    Dropped again as next over starts 4 4 no ball wide 6

50 off 16 balls for Ali
  • Pross
    A dot!!
  • Pross
    Dot wicket dot to finish. Wicket brings Livingstone in to back which doesn't help.
  • Pross
    Petered out a bit in the last 2.5 overs if you can call a score of 234 petering out.

Bairstow finally caught on 90 needing 10 runs from 2 balls to get his ton.