Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    If we get them out early tomorrow we can expect some hyper aggressive England batting to try to set it up.

Hard to see a result though unless pitch starts falling apart all of a sudden.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,397
    Someone took Duckett to one side after the first innings and explained to him what is required of an England opener. He’s obviously a fast learner.

Prediction above is looking good though.
  • JimD666 said:

Whoopie. We've taken 7 wickets. If there's a result in this pitch I'll eat a hat.

Englands scoring rate has effectively bought 2 or 3 extra sessions and Stokes said when he was made captain that they don't care for draws so they can set Pakistan a gettable target. Trouble is you need Pakistan to play ball too and not settle for a draw and I can't see that being the case.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited December 2022

JimD666 said:

Whoopie. We've taken 7 wickets. If there's a result in this pitch I'll eat a hat.

Englands scoring rate has effectively bought 2 or 3 extra sessions and Stokes said when he was made captain that they don't care for draws so they can set Pakistan a gettable target. Trouble is you need Pakistan to play ball too and not settle for a draw and I can't see that being the case.
    That's the thing. Doesn't matter how aggressive we bat: if the opposition refuse to play the same way and there is nothing in the pitch then you still end up with a draw.

How many runs is going to be too many for Pakistan to chase?
    Too few and they chase it down then media (and too many "fans") will crucify the team.

Fortunately I love mustard so I can eat almost anything with enough of the yellow ambrosia :)

Edit: Assuming we're not bowled out in the next 20 minutes.....
  • mrb123
    England need to be slightly careful here. The pitch still looks perfect for batting. 300 lead not going to be enough.
  • JimD666
    edited December 2022
    mrb123 said:

England need to be slightly careful here. The pitch still looks perfect for batting. 300 lead not going to be enough.

Not sure the words "England" and "careful" are going to be seen together with this test team anytime soon.

350 enough? Think 400 will be too many to entice Pakistan.
  • Pross
    The scoring rate is crazy, about 7.5 an over by my quick calculation!
  • JimD666
    24-1 after 5. I may owe Pakistan players an apology. Perhaps they are going to go for it....
  • JimD666
    2nd wicket down.

Any recommendations for edible hats?
  • Pross
    In the balance at the moment but and England win looks the least likely result. The target they gave was pretty sensible but because of the speed they got there it felt like they gave Pakistan too much time to get it. It has allowed Pakistan to play their normal game on a decent batting pitch.
  • mrb123
    The declaration did seem a little bold when considering how good the pitch still is.

That said, Stokes and McCullum deserve massive praise for trying everything in their power to force a result in this game, even if it goes against us.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Getting to the crunch now. Going to be a close run thing either way
  • Pross
    86 runs in the final session with 5 wickets spare feels very getable albeit the session will undoubtably be shortened again by light.
  • 4 wickets and 83 runs... it's swung back England's way. Could do without the ball hitting the stumps and not dislodging the bails though.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,756
    3 wickets and 83 runs.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,535
    7 wickets down now . . . this is getting very interesting
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Going by previous days they have about 15 overs left
  • Pross
    England have certainly managed to make it an interesting finale despite the pitch. Now 8 down and probably 40 minutes or so left to play.
  • Going by previous days they have about 15 overs left

2 wickets in an hour feels very gettable
  • laurentian
    9 wickets gone now!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross
    Big umpires call that one.
  • Anderson has been truly incredible in his career, he really has.
  • Pross
    Mohammad Ali on the ropes.
  • Pross
    edited December 2022
    Highest scoring (5 day) test of all time but should have been all out.
  • Whatever happens (and I think we will get the last wicket), this is remarkable from England.

I played at a reasonable level as a kid and have watched Test cricket all my life, but this is something else. This team are genuinely changing Test match cricket for good (I don't think this is hyperbole). All other teams will have to follow the template in future.
  • laurentian
    Done!! LBW

(Review underway . . . )

Wilier Izoard XP
  • JimD666
    Never in doubt........
  • Pross
    Well that was unexpectedly exciting finish. I'm really liking the way England are playing, I just hope they don't get criticised when they do inevitably lose a few playing in that manner.
  • mrb123
    One of the great performances.
  • Pross
    I was amazed to hear earlier that this is Anderson's first ever Test in Pakistan. Hadn't realised quite how long it had been since Tests were played there.