Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Not a big fan of Root as captain, never have been, so let him go back to just batting and make Burns the skipper instead. It's not like he's doing anything else.
  • JimD666 said:

Not a big fan of Root as captain, never have been, so let him go back to just batting and make Burns the skipper instead. It's not like he's doing anything else.

I'd let Burns be the 12th man if he was willing to pay his own travel and accommodation costs but that is about it.
    By the sounds of it I was always a bit more in favour of Root as Captain than yourself but for me there was still a lingering annoyance at the way those Indian tailenders gave him the runaround this summer that resurfaced today when Starc and co added a few. If you want to be a top test side then mopping up the tail should be something done on autopilot and we never seem capable or ruthless enough.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    I reckon central contracts are the issue with a lack of strength in depth. Those on them simply don't play enough multi-day cricket outside of Tests and the selectors seem to feel duty bound to select players on contracts.
  • Collapse coming any moment now.......
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • It was going well when I got up.
  • JimD666
    I apologize unreservedly. We were going well then I switched the TV on. Root went 2 balls later.

The central contract point is interesting. Not sure there's a way to avoid it unless we go to 3 separate teams for the 3 formats, too much short form cricket otherwise too allow them to play county championship.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    Following a depressingly similar pattern to our innings in the previous game when Root and Malan both made runs.
  • JimD666
    Who'd enforce the follow on?

I'm going yes. Offset bowling in hot conditions with getting a new ball under lights.
  • mrb123
    JimD666 said:

I'm going yes. Offset bowling in hot conditions with getting a new ball under lights.

Yeah, if they've got a chance to knock off our openers tonight they'll take it I reckon.
  • JimD666 said:

Definitely, as long as there's more than 15 overs left tonight.
  • Pross
    mrb123 said:

JimD666 said:

Yeah, if they've got a chance to knock off our openers tonight they'll take it I reckon.
    So one over?
  • Pross
    Stokes is trying a new tactic of sending them to sleep to give himself the whole pitch to play with free of risk. It could be a cunning plan.
  • Then if England are still somehow batting tomorrow night, another new ball for the night session.
  • mrb123
    Pross said:

mrb123 said:

JimD666 said:

So one over?
    Certainly sufficient to deal with Burns.

• Pross
    I thought Woakes and Stokes might see them through to the close. Should know better than now.
  • JimD666
    Stokes wakes up for a few runs then gets cleaned up.
  • Pross
    Burns better get padded up, it will double the amount of time he usually gets to wear his batting kit.
  • JimD666
    You know things are going badly when the Aussie commentators are feeling sorry for England.
  • JimD666
    Aussies batting again. Very surprised
  • Pross
    The really bad thing is they've been losing wickets despite apparently trying to be cautious and scoring slowly.
  • JimD666 said:

So am I.

Surely it increases England's minuscule chance of forcing a draw.
  • JimD666

JimD666 said:

So am I.

Ah, an optimist ;)
  • JimD666 said:

JimD666 said:

So am I.

Ah, an optimist ;)
    To be fair, I think it also increases England's miniscule chance of winning.
  • Someone remind them that if it's nowhere near the stumps, they aren't going to play it under the lights.
  • JimD666
    Always a relief to see the Aussies are just as capable of making a pigs ear of things.
  • mrb123
    JimD666 said:

Presumably a consequence of Lyon getting some turn on an otherwise good batting pitch.
  • mrb123 said:

JimD666 said:

Presumably a consequence of Lyon getting some turn on an otherwise good batting pitch.
    Don't understand - that would have meant them knocking us over tomorrow day time
  • Pross

JimD666 said:

So am I.

I think they were just trolling to demonstrate that it is still a good batting surface despite what England would have you believe
  • mrb123

mrb123 said:

JimD666 said:

Don't understand - that would have meant them knocking us over tomorrow day time
    What I meant it that the turn will probably only increase, so they can give their quicks a rest now and have some fun against our bowlers, confident that Lyon can run through us in the 4th.

• JimD666
    mrb123 said:

mrb123 said:

JimD666 said:

What I meant it that the turn will probably only increase, so they can give their quicks a rest now and have some fun against our bowlers, confident that Lyon can run through us in the 4th.

You really think they'd of had to bowl a 2nd time if they had put us back in?