Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,932
    No captain on the field for the first hour or so. England pitch the ball up and take wickets. Captain back on the field they start bowling short and the ball goes round the ground.
  • Just need Stokes to do a Headingley repeat and the game is in the bag.
  • JimD666
    edited December 2021
    The weird thing is I'd actually believe the England One Day squad could chase this down. The Current test team? I'll be surprised if they're not 3 down (at least) by close of play, then they just need to survive day 5 on a turning pitch.....
  • Against Lyon with this field, the one day team wouldn't have a chance.
  • I think England might struggle from here.
  • JimD666
    all over by lunch? Tea? Or will we bat through (as if)?

Before Tea for me.
  • JimD666 said:

The weird thing is I'd actually believe the England One Day squad could chase this down. The Current test team? I'll be surprised if they're not 3 down (at least) by close of play, then they just need to survive day 5 on a turning pitch.....

Roy would not last 5 mins which would be 3 mins longer than Bairstow, Malan and Stokes would show some grit and do alright but Buttler would struggle to make an impact and Morgan can not buy a run. Tail would fold like a cheap suit and total score probably would not reach three figures.

I am starting to think that English test cricket is 10 years behind the Anzacs and India and needs a clear out of all coaches and capt.
  • JimD666
    I'm guessing I wasn't too clear in my meaning. Set a score of 468 in a 1 day match is what I as getting at. I know it's comparing apples and elephants but it was more to show a difference of faith in test team vs 1 day team.
    Didn't mean to imply that if we dropped in the full 1 day team now, with current conditions that'd they'd chase it down.
  • JimD666 said:

all over by lunch? Tea? Or will we bat through (as if)?

Before Tea for me.

Getting to lunch would be considered an achievement, that is how low the bar is set right now.
  • JimD666
    They managed to survive. 2nd new bail being taken. 4 wickets left. This could be over soon.
  • JimD666 said:

I'm guessing I wasn't too clear in my meaning. Set a score of 468 in a 1 day match is what I as getting at. I know it's comparing apples and elephants but it was more to show a difference of faith in test team vs 1 day team.
    Didn't mean to imply that if we dropped in the full 1 day team now, with current conditions that'd they'd chase it down.

Still not 100% sure what you mean but if you are referring to the mentality of chasing down such a total then I think India are the best at this. They bat normally and then if they have the wickets will be confident of getting 100 runs in the last 10 overs.

Fundamentally our problem is that we are a 250 run team, ie if you count up our averages.

As an example Butler has played 54 tests and averages 33 with just 2 centuries yet he is in the team to play Gilchrist like match changing innings.

The “dangerous Ben Stokes” averages 36

YJB will probably be hailed as the solution yet he averages 33
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,584

JimD666 said:

Still not 100% sure what you mean but if you are referring to the mentality of chasing down such a total then I think India are the best at this. They bat normally and then if they have the wickets will be confident of getting 100 runs in the last 10 overs.

Fundamentally our problem is that we are a 250 run team, ie if you count up our averages.

As an example Butler has played 54 tests and averages 33 with just 2 centuries yet he is in the team to play Gilchrist like match changing innings.

Pretty sure he is just saying that if the one day team were set that total (in a one day game) he'd back them to chase it down as an example of how much more on top of their game they are than the Test team at present.
  • Pross
    Keep forgetting how late they are starting over there. When I saw they were still batting I thought there was a glimmer of hope as I was thinking close of play was around 11. I was also surprised when I saw they were 4 down at close yesterday as the last time I checked the score they were 3 down and I had assumed play had ended.
  • JimD666
    Pross said:

JimD666 said:

Pretty sure he is just saying that if the one day team were set that total (in a one day game) he'd back them to chase it down as an example of how much more on top of their game they are than the Test team at present.
    ^This ^.
    Poorly worded on my part.

I'm not saying they would do it, just I'd have more faith in them doing it.

Not that it matters any. My 2-1 England prediction is looking a little optimistic....
  • Pross said:

JimD666 said:

JimD666 said:

History would suggest he would lose his money, nobody has chased more than 438 and England’s best is 364.

If he is saying we have the wrong mentality then I would totally agree.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641

Pross said:

JimD666 said:

JimD666 said:

History would suggest he would lose his money, nobody has chased more than 438 and England’s best is 364.

They have scored 481 though in an ODI.
  • Pross said:

JimD666 said:

JimD666 said:

Their record score in a Test match is 902 and they declared and it was against Australia
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,641

Pross said:

JimD666 said:

JimD666 said:

Their record score in a Test match is 902 and they declared and it was against Australia
    Yes, not all that recently though. If the current team had just scored that there might be more confidence in it.
  • Pross said:

JimD666 said:

JimD666 said:

Yes, not all that recently though. If the current team had just scored that there might be more confidence in it.
    The recency (sorry Brian) makes it as relevant
  • Pross
    Buttler seemed to try to show the others how to occupy the crease (although to then get out hit wicket probably sums things up).
  • Pross said:

Buttler seemed to try to show the others how to occupy the crease (although to then get out hit wicket probably sums things up).

Doesn’t even scratch the surface of the extra runs gathered after his dropped catches.

Aussie pundits say he stands too far back as not good enough to stand closer, the slips take their lead from him which means they are too far back and catches don’t carry
  • Boxing Day Test, Day 1, 4pm: England 6/138.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

Thanks for coming.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Pross
    185 all out despite a half century from Root and the Aussies 61-1 in return. It really is a humiliation.

It feels a bit like the Welsh rugby team, for a while they've managed to get wins despite obvious problems but because they were winning the problems get overlooked
  • I can't even be bothered to watch the highlights, if you can call them that. The first problem they need to solve is finding some openers where you aren't guaranteed that at least one will be back in the pavillion within the first five overs.
  • JimD666
    Been watching the full days play on catch up. Just about to come out after lunch.

The only good thing I can say about it so far is....

It's nice to hear David Gower on commentary again :)
  • Pross said:

185 all out despite a half century from Root and the Aussies 61-1 in return. It really is a humiliation.

It feels a bit like the Welsh rugby team, for a while they've managed to get wins despite obvious problems but because they were winning the problems get overlooked

I live in a parallel universe (with Root/Silverwood) and Buttler came in and played a Gilchrist like innings of 123 and we scrapped to 300, not great but all to play for.
  • JimD666
    I still can't believe that our bowling attack is incapable of pitching the fscking ball up. On the odd occasions that they did, they looked a threat. Just not enough.

As to the batting?

Hameed was a little unlucky. He did what all the Aussies have so far failed to do. Got an edge on a good ball. The others? Less said the better.
  • JimD666
    edited December 2021
    Sometimes it helps when you can't catch....

https://www.skysports.com/cricket/news/12340/12504392/the-ashes-third-test-to-continue-despite-england-covid-scare

With little over an hour before play was due to start, England's players had not yet left their hotel for the Melbourne Cricket Ground and were instead "awaiting results of Covid tests following a positive test in the team's family group".
    But rapid flow test results gave England the all clear to head to the MCG.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    Well it had been a rather better day for England up until the point we had to bat again...
  • Turned on, heard England batting, good news. Heard two wickets in two balls, turned off. Missed two more wickets.