Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666 said:

Can't help but wonder that, at 39, with dodgy calf (and the rest of his body) this may be a tour too far. If he pulls up lame in his first game (probably the 2nd test) and you're a bowler down for the full game. Wouldn't matter too much in the shorter versions of the game, but in Tests?

I seem to remember that during the tests in the summer it was mentioned a couple of times on TMS Anderson was still hitting the top metrics for all the fitness tests the players go through so I like to think they've taken someone who is still very capable. I too would have liked him to start this test but I guess they think the day/night test is better for him? The workload Stokes will be able to bear after his break is also an unknown. We'll find out soon.

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,961
    edited December 2021
    The Aussies seem to think Christmas has come early. No Anderson, no Broad. General consensus from those commentating (TMS: English and Aussie) is for the first Ashes test you play your best team.

Apparently green pitch, overcast and we're batting first having won the toss.
  • JimD666
    Oh dear. Wicket first ball. Burns gone
  • JimD666
    edited December 2021
    Malan gone. Caught behind. 11-2
  • JimD666
    Root gone for 0. Time for bed.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    Well that was all rather predictable...
  • Ah.
  • I guess you don't know until both teams have batted?
  • Burns being bowled behind his legs like that..christ.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782

Burns being bowled behind his legs like that..christ.

Only saw it very quickly on the news but the ball seemed to swerve all over the place. Looked like a bit of a loosener that got lucky.
  • Pross said:

Burns being bowled behind his legs like that..christ.

Only saw it very quickly on the news but the ball seemed to swerve all over the place. Looked like a bit of a loosener that got lucky.
    Half volley at his legs. It swung late, but it should have been at the boundary before it had a chance to.
  • JimD666
    Anyone with access to the BT sport app able to say if there is a full on-demand replay of the days play? If they are replaying the full days play then I'll look to pick up a months sub. If all that is available is the highlights (not sure that's the right word after last night) then I'll not bother and stick with replaying TMS instead
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,704
    JimD666 said:

Anyone with access to the BT sport app able to say if there is a full on-demand replay of the days play? If they are replaying the full days play then I'll look to pick up a months sub. If all that is available is the highlights (not sure that's the right word after last night) then I'll not bother and stick with replaying TMS instead

They seem to have 10 mins of highlights or 8 hours of the full day. I'd probably prefer one hour highlights, but maybe that will appear later.

At the moment, there are no obvious spoilers either, but I wouldn't trust that to continue.
  • JimD666
    edited December 2021
    Thanks. Was hoping for the full day. Not too worried about spoilers TBH, it's less stressful if I already know they've collapsed ;)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,330
    edited December 2021

JimD666 said:

They seem to have 10 mins of highlights or 8 hours of the full day. I'd probably prefer one hour highlights, but maybe that will appear later.

At the moment, there are no obvious spoilers either, but I wouldn't trust that to continue.
    They've got a 90 minutes highlight programme on tv twice today (first one on now) so you'd imagine that will be on demand later.

From how far they've got into the innings in 45 minutes so far, it looks like it might be one of those highlight programmes that has a load of chat at the end.

Edit to say the programme finished half an hour early, so no idea if it started early or they couldn't find many highlights.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,450
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtTrpy-F-x4

"Courageous to bat first, the wicket is green, it has grass on it'.

[Or words to that effect]

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401
    All could have been so different today if chances were taken and no-balls were being constantly monitored.
  • Tashman said:

All could have been so different today if chances were taken and no-balls were being constantly monitored.

and if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle

if the chances were taken the biggest difference is that Warner would have been out 3 times.

I have zero sympathy with Stokes. His job is to literally bowl a cricket ball. I am surprised that people aren't questioning his motives.
  • mrb123
    Unfortunately the strategy of picking a spinner for the fourth innings doesn't work very well when there isn't a fourth innings.
  • When I said I understood why Anderson wasn't playing, I'd assumed that Broad was.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,401

Tashman said:

and if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle

if the chances were taken the biggest difference is that Warner would have been out 3 times.

I have zero sympathy with Stokes. His job is to literally bowl a cricket ball. I am surprised that people aren't questioning his motives.
    Whilst I appreciate the sentiment, if your whole playing career has involved that input from the officials then it's understandable to expect it at the very pinnacle of the game. I have this conversation as an umpire with bowlers in local 5th div round here.
  • JimD666

When I said I understood why Anderson wasn't playing, I'd assumed that Broad was.

I'd assumed Broad was playing and I still wasn't happy about Anderson. Beggared belief, to me at least, that they'd leave both out.

Been listening to TMS this morning and most of the luck went the Aussies way. A lot of play and miss in the first 30 minutes of play. Can't help but feel we'd of nicked the ball more often. After that some poor fielding in general and then the Aussies went to town.

Only chance I can see for anything other than a draw is if the weather helps us out. Looking at the current forecast we may get lucky in Fridays afternoon session - 60% chances of heavy showers. Saturday looks glorious though :(
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,450
    England's Ashes record at the Gabba.

Wins: 4
    Losses: 11
    Draws: 5
    Highest total: 517/1 in 2010
    Lowest total: 79 in 2002
    Highest score: Alastair Cook – 235 not out v Australia in 2010
    Most runs: Alastair Cook – 434
    Best bowling: Bill Voce – 6-41 v Australia in 1936
    Most wickets: Bob Willis – 19

We've improved.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mrb123
    Showing a bit of fight at least...
  • Looks like we should get a fourth innings at least.

There was one ball that leapt off a crack at Malan this morning, could become more difficult to bat on tomorrow.
  • JimD666
    edited December 2021
    Certainly better batting. Going into day 4 which is more than expected. Day 5 is still a bit optimistic but if Root/Malan can survive the new ball tomorrow then it's still possible.

Malan has hit the nail on the head in his interview though, 195-5 to 425 was the biggest problem

EDIT: Still having issues wrapping my head around how polite everyone is being to each other. Don't expect this in an Eng-Aus cricket match o:) It's a rather pleasant change.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    I reckon the two of them need to make a 100 and one of them needs to make 150 plus, with the rest chipping in. I would quite like to see Buttler walking out at tea and batting for a couple of hours. Who knows what happens then.

I know how it's going to go though, nothing like that.
  • JimD666
    edited December 2021
    Need Root and Malan to survive the 10 overs until the new ball and then the following 10 to take the shine off a little. If they can manage that......

Ruddy big word that. If.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,782
    Wipe out the remaining deficit and then hope Stokes can do what Stokes does. The reality is there'll be an early wicket and a battle to avoid an innings defeat.