Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    You look at the bowling figures and the obvious question is how did they think leaving Anderson out of the first test was a good idea?
  • Pross
    Malan seem to have caught the openers inability to get a score. They'll move him up the order at this rate
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,919
    Watched the 1st session live then went to bed feeling fairly optimistic. We bowled consistently for the 1st time this tour. Little more luck in taking the edge and we'd of had them in serious trouble.
    The last headline I saw before I gave in to sleep was along the lines of "England roars back"

Then I got up and reality came crashing back down. From a roar to a whimper to rolling over in meek capitulation in the space of a couple of hours.

Can't see anyway the series ends better than 5-0.

Don't think I'll bother watching anymore.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    It's the hope that kills you.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • JimD666
    And now we're hopeless.

Just like England batting.
  • At least they aren't stringing it out.

Oh dear.

Statistic of the tour (so far): English team have spent more time in hotel quarantine than it’s taken to lose the Ashes .
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • JimD666
    edited December 2021
    Congratulations to the Aussie team. Bowled superbly, far better than they probably need to considering the opposition.
  • Pross
    Lots of talk before play started about how perfect conditions were for batting and that Root / Stokes could help them get a decent lead.
  • JimD666
    Brother sent this to me earlier from twitter:

Hey, just a heads up

If anyone in Melbourne is looking for super quick test results just go to the MCG.

— Christian O'Connell (@OC) December 28, 2021
  • JimD666
    Anyone with any hope for the fourth test? Aussies not included.
  • Ridiculously, England have the series' top run scorer.

Are you sure?

(Not now though.)

If we can have another match where Root bats twice and the Aussies only once, he can overtake them I'm sure.

Better end to the day today, it feels about even which is great stuff.
  • JimD666
    Ignore being 36-4, it's been entertaining. Test purists will be grumbling watching Wood hit 6's but it shows a bit of application at least
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    JimD666 said:

Ignore being 36-4, it's been entertaining. Test purists will be grumbling watching Wood hit 6's but it shows a bit of application at least

Yeah, at this stage showing a bit of fight is very welcome.

• mrb123 said:

JimD666 said:

Yeah, at this stage showing a bit of fight is very welcome.

I take your point but we will concede a huge first innings deficit and our only hope of snatching a draw rests with the weather
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    edited January 2022

Ridiculously, England have the series' top run scorer.

Are you sure?
    At time of writing, yes.

After the first three matches, Root had scored 253 from 6 innings, the next best was Head with 248 from 4 innings, then Warner with 240 and Labuschagne on 229.

Warner and Labuschagne now overtaken him.
  • JimD666 said:

I woke up and heard it was 135-4 and thought "oh they've underperformed again", then heard this was a 99 run partnership....
  • Whilst we are on the subject of waking up to TMS can I say that Alex Hartley is an embarassment and a stunning indictment of the UK education system. How can a cricketer have no understanding of % or averages?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570

Whilst we are on the subject of waking up to TMS can I say that Alex Hartley is an embarassment and a stunning indictment of the UK education system. How can a cricketer have no understanding of % or averages?

What did she say?

Have you not noticed how tax rates are always quoted in pence as opposed to percentages?
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338

Whilst we are on the subject of waking up to TMS can I say that Alex Hartley is an embarassment and a stunning indictment of the UK education system. How can a cricketer have no understanding of % or averages?

She is awful, a genuine example of 'equality over quality'.

She actually said 'wake up with a bit of wood' in commentary this morning.

She doesn't exactly have a radio voice either.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    edited January 2022
    Anyway, decent total from England without Root (considering current form).
  • Whilst we are on the subject of waking up to TMS can I say that Alex Hartley is an embarassment and a stunning indictment of the UK education system. How can a cricketer have no understanding of % or averages?

What did she say?

Have you not noticed how tax rates are always quoted in pence as opposed to percentages?
    she is a spin bowler and they were discussing throwing" and she thought the arm could be bent no ore than 45 degrees

Tota crowd was 78,000 but she mused because of all the rain the average would be higher

Jim Maxwell asked her for her thoughts on the dearth of spin bowling in England - " what does dearth mean"
  • joe2019 said:

the equaity point did cross my mind but then it begs the question of how bad the other options are
  • mrb123
    joe2019 said:

She basically sounds like they've got a 14 year old girl in the commentary box.

• mrb123 said:

joe2019 said:

She basically sounds like they've got a 14 year old girl in the commentary box.

a 14 yr old would know she was totally out of her depth and keep her words to a minimum
  • Pross
    She was doing a podcast before and the BBC now seem to think podcasting is an edgy education in media that will appeal to the youth. Ebony or Isa would be better alternatives and who was the one with the fantastic Caribbean accent? I could listen to her all day.
  • mrb123
    Pross said:

She was doing a podcast before and the BBC now seem to think podcasting is an edgy education in media that will appeal to the youth. Ebony or Isa would be better alternatives and who was the one with the fantastic Caribbean accent? I could listen to her all day.

Michael Holding?

• Pross
    mrb123 said:

Pross said:

Michael Holding?

Was talking female. Possibly Donna Symmonds.

In terms of Caribbean accents, Tony Cozier's was superb. It came as a real surprise when I first saw him and learned he was white. It goes to show the mental image a voice can conjure.