Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,196
    220-2 is pretty good.
    It's clear England should not have elected to bat first. The wicket is obviously getting easier to play as it dries out. Now that means it will be easier for the Aussies in their 2nd innings. But, the wicket could get rough as there were divots developing which could make things difficult.
    Who knows.
    Could England change tack and stay in until late morning on day 5 leaving a total which Australia won't have time to reach?
    England need what... 300 with their 8 wickets in hand? To have a lead iro 250? Although, as said by an Aussie commentator a few years back "...the England tail end goes quicker than a bunch of convicts escaping".
    Hopefully Root's partnership inspires the rest of the team and gives them some optimism but they are going to need the bowlers to really step up in Anderson's absence.

Just my tuppence.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Bugger
  • pinno

censored

3rd wicket?
  • pinno said:

censored

3rd wicket?
    Malan gone, caught off bat and pad
  • And root caught behind.
  • Ah well.
  • pinno
    Root gone. New ball in 3 overs.
    It's game over.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    pope gone as well.
  • Pope gone. Might still be an innings defeat.
  • pinno
    Fooked.

• JimD666
    It's the hope that kill you as an England supporter :'(
  • pinno
    "The deficit is under 40"

We may avoid being beaten by an innings.

I'm going to bed.
  • I woke up around 2.30am and went to check the score with the intention of putting the radio on...saw we were all out with a lead of 19 so put the radio remote down again. I pretty much laughed, I was suprised and yet not surprised. As Jim said, they dangle that little carrot of hope...and then it's gone.
  • And there is an extra day and a half that Anderson could have recovered in.
  • JimD666
    Technically we did better than the last time we played there. Beaten by 10 wickets in Nov 2017...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    Pross said:

Wipe out the remaining deficit and then hope Stokes can do what Stokes does. The reality is there'll be an early wicket and a battle to avoid an innings defeat.

Almost as if I've seen an Ashes tour before. Hope I'm as lucky predicting the lottery numbers tonight!
  • Pross said:

Pross said:

Wipe out the remaining deficit and then hope Stokes can do what Stokes does. The reality is there'll be an early wicket and a battle to avoid an innings defeat.

Almost as if I've seen an Ashes tour before. Hope I'm as lucky predicting the lottery numbers tonight!
    Are you predicting there'll be 6 numbers plus a bonus ball?
  • If you count up our averages then 250 is a par score for our current team. Another calculation is 200 + Root.
    In other words we need to find a way of taking 20 Aussie wickets for less than 500 runs.
  • pinno
    Still begs the question - why did Root elect to bat first?
    What was his thinking?

Did he think the wicket was going to be slow and that the bowling options lacked pace without Anderson?
  • pinno said:

What was his thinking?

Did he think the wicket was going to be slow and that the bowling options lacked pace without Anderson?

The accepted mantra is that if you win the toss you bat, if you think about bowling then think again and bat.

People are still laughing at Nasser Hussain 20 years after electing to bowl.

I doubt it would have made any difference as the Aussies would have dug in and played for time. at least two of our clowns were caught in the deep.
  • pinno
    Well, we should have played for time with some anticipation of a changing wicket. It's not rocket science.
    Okay, we made mistakes in the first innings but the ball was moving around, the air was humid and the forecast was that the wicket was to dry out.
    But the pressure to rack up runs from the off to set a decent total is a balancing act that has to be executed well in terms of time and run rate.
  • pinno said:

Well, we should have played for time with some anticipation of a changing wicket. It's not rocket science.
    Okay, we made mistakes in the first innings but the ball was moving around, the air was humid and the forecast was that the wicket was to dry out.
    But the pressure to rack up runs from the off to set a decent total is a balancing act that has to be executed well in terms of time and run rate.

We have chosen to play a brand of cricket which is akin to having a train to catch and seem to be unable to adapt to different conditions and circumstances.

Probably fairer to say that they have a fatalistic outlook that there is a ball with your name on it so get as many runs as possible before it gets you.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392

pinno said:

What was his thinking?

The accepted mantra is that if you win the toss you bat, if you think about bowling then think again and bat.

I doubt it would have made any difference as the Aussies would have dug in and played for time. at least two of our clowns were caught in the deep.
    I seem to remember that mantra being trotted out on here in the summer when England chose to bowl first and things didn't go well in the first innings. They went on to win.
  • JimD666
    edited December 2021
    Pross said:

pinno said:

What was his thinking?

I seem to remember that mantra being trotted out on here in the summer when England chose to bowl first and things didn't go well in the first innings. They went on to win.
    Fairly sure its a WG Grace quote, so it's not like its a new thing.

Honestly, sometimes, its good to lose the toss and have the decision removed from you.

Finished listening through the mornings play on TMS earlier and I'm not 100% sure that this collapse wasn't worse then the 1st innings one. The majority of wickets in the 1st innings seemed to be from quality bowling and fielding. Ruddy awful shots seemed to be the constant theme of the 2nd.

Disclaimer: that observation is from audio descriptions only. The only wicket I've actually seen was the 1st ball duck from Burns.
  • JimD666
    Some interesting team choices from England again. Green pitch? Don't play either of your best/most experienced fast bowlers. Dry pitch? Only play a part time spinner.

Australia innings starting to look rather ominous.....
  • JimD666 said:

Some interesting team choices from England again. Green pitch? Don't play either of your best/most experienced fast bowlers. Dry pitch? Only play a part time spinner.

It's a proper old school test match innings. Only been a couple of big hits, and scoring at a couple an over.

53 overs in two sessions though - I don't know the rules on finishing time but they aren't going to have many overs with the new ball under lights tonight.
  • JimD666 said:

I am probably being daft but who is the 2nd (best/experienced) fast bowler we did not pick
  • It feels very much to me like we have a policy of slowing down the overs and scoring opportunities with the hope of boring them out.

It feels very much to me that the Aussies are determined to not lose patience and bat for two days knowing that we are incapable of lasting more than 4 sessions and scoring more than 300 runs
  • JimD666 said:

I am probably being daft but who is the 2nd (best/experienced) fast bowler we did not pick
    Broad. We left two of the top 6 test wicket takers in history out in Brisbane.
  • JimD666 said:

Broad. We left two of the top 6 test wicket takers in history out in Brisbane.
    Broad is playing