• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,560
    Oh look. A milemuncher.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Pross said:

Ncovidius said:

Pross said:

Dan Roan is reporting on it now, he was a bit late to the game but may have found a genuine scandal.

Who knew, a player crying “Racist” turns out to be a racist himself ( anti Semitic tweets ).

He wasn't crying racist though was he? He reported incidents that have since been accepted as true but which Yorkshire CC stupidly tried to bury.

That said, I'm surprised his advisers didn't ask him if he had anything in his closet so that they could get it out there first and 'control the narrative'.

Not sure how that would have worked; care to clarify?

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Ncovidius said:

Pross said:

Dan Roan is reporting on it now, he was a bit late to the game but may have found a genuine scandal.

Who knew, a player crying “Racist” turns out to be a racist himself ( anti Semitic tweets ).

He wasn't crying racist though was he? He reported incidents that have since been accepted as true but which Yorkshire CC stupidly tried to bury.

That said, I'm surprised his advisers didn't ask him if he had anything in his closet so that they could get it out there first and 'control the narrative'.

Pretty common practice in PR, if you know there's something there that is likely to get unearthed when you come under the spotlight you get in there first, bring it into the open yourself and limit the damage.
  • joe2019
    Pross said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Ncovidius said:

Pross said:

Pretty common practice in PR, if you know there's something there that is likely to get unearthed when you come under the spotlight you get in there first, bring it into the open yourself and limit the damage.

Yeah, but how would it have helped?

Hey I have posted these anti Semitic tweets but...
  • Pross
    joe2019 said:

Pross said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Ncovidius said:

Pross said:

All the mea culpa stuff he's said since being found out but admitting it before being caught generally plays out better
  • joe2019
    Pross said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

joe2019 said:

Pross said:

Ncovidius said:

Pross said:

All the mea culpa stuff he's said since being found out but admitting it before being caught generally plays out better

Had he admitted it first, he'd never have been in front of the DCMS Committee.
  • Pross
    Why? Anything he has done in the past doesn't absolve YCC from their actions (inaction?).
  • joe2019
    True, but would he have had the front to go through with it?
  • Enough of the racist who cried racist.

This time it impacts the forthcoming Ashes series. Aussie captain Tim Payne resigns over historical text messages.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/59343005

Social media 2021: Making athletes around the world sweat more than a full workout.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,488

Enough of the racist who cried racist.

This time it impacts the forthcoming Ashes series. Aussie captain Tim Payne resigns over historical text messages.

Social media 2021: Making athletes around the world sweat more than a full workout.

Aussie male in sexist case shocker! :#
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Pross said:

Why? Anything he has done in the past doesn't absolve YCC from their actions (inaction?).

Rafiq's apology is notable for actually being a real apology rather than the usual "I'm sorry you were offended" non-apology.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    edited November 2021
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Rafiq's apology is notable for actually being a real apology rather than the usual "I'm sorry you were offended" non-apology.
    To me, Robinson's and Rafiq's apologies look remarkably similar in both structure and content.
    Not that it matters, but I accept both at face value.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

To me, Robinson's and Rafiq's apologies look remarkably similar in both structure and content.
    Not seen Robinson's and was speaking more generally. If it is similar then good for him. I do very much understand why people are advised to say something conciliatory and non-specific, but I'm not sure it helps in the long run.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited November 2021
    A victim of racism being found to have done some racist stuff himself (unrelated) doesn't mitigate either act.

Can we make that clear? It's not the gotcha some people seem to think it is.

If you're expressing or feeling glee at the discovery of the text exchange, you're really not understanding the problem.
  • Enough of the racist who cried racist.

Aussie male in sexist case shocker! :#
    Ashes series are never short of off field "incidents" for the press to feed upon, but this time it looks as if they are going to have surplus ammunition.
    Cricket these days reminds me of cycling in the noughties and the week before the start of Le Tour: explosive stuff.
    I wonder who is next to be blown up by the media minefield?
  • rjsterry said:

Pross said:

I think the messages and the apology are similar between Robinson and Rafiq.

What would have been said as a kid and either been a private source of shame or forgotten in a previous era will surface for a lot of people.
  • Ajaz Patel, NZ v India, first innings 10 - 119.

Amazing achievement, especially as a spinner in the first innings.

Also if somebody gets a tenfer itv usually means they were skittles but India got 350.

You would not want to be holding tix for day 4

Amazing achievement, especially as a spinner in the first innings.

Also if somebody gets a tenfer itv usually means they were skittles but India got 350.

You would not want to be holding tix for day 4
    And NZ might follow on, at 39-6, so it's possible they are all the wickets taken by NZ.

Watching a bit of it, every spin ball could take a wicket.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited December 2021
    NZ all out for 62. They couldn't play the pace of Siraj who got the first three, but looked like they had no idea what was happening with any of the spinners.

But no follow on.
  • NZ all out for 62. They couldn't play the pace of Siraj who got the first three, but looked like they had no idea what was happening with any of the spinners.

But no follow on.

After only 30 overs and end of play in sight I just don’t get the no follow on
  • NZ all out for 62. They couldn't play the pace of Siraj who got the first three, but looked like they had no idea what was happening with any of the spinners.

But no follow on.

After only 30 overs and end of play in sight I just don’t get the no follow on
    Only reason could be to make sure it goes to day 4.

It's a bit weird seeing Ajaz getting all the plaudits at close of play when his team is getting completely demolished.
  • So...Ashes begins in a few days, be interesting to see how Australia fare with a fast bowler as captain, certainly something I've not seen before.
  • Pross

So...Ashes begins in a few days, be interesting to see how Australia fare with a fast bowler as captain, certainly something I've not seen before.

Bob Willis off the top of my head or did you mean the Aussies specifically?
  • Not just Australia but cricket in general. More of a in my lifetime regard, born mid-seventies so don't recall much about cricket until late eighties.
  • Not just Australia but cricket in general. More of a in my lifetime regard, born mid-seventies so don't recall much about cricket until late eighties.

Flintoff
  • Pross
    Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Courtney Walsh.
  • joe2019
    edited December 2021
    Daniel Vettori, Jason Holder, Shaun Pollock, Heath Streak, Anil Kumble.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    edited December 2021
    joe2019 said:

Daniel Vettori, Jason Holder, Shaun Pollock, Heath Streak, Anil Kumble.

Daniel Vettori and Anil Kumble? Fast Bowlers?!!!

Flintoff
    I think we all want to forget that tour.