Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,804
    How do they measure the 6 distances when they hit the stands? Is it taken from where they make impact or where they would have landed if the stand hadn't got in the way?

That Moeen one was immense.
  • mrb123
    Livingstone even bigger. Full swing of the bat, right off the middle.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,392
    Still just about doable
  • mrb123
    Pross said:

Still just about doable

Morgan in at 7. The strength of the England batting line up is ridiculous.
  • Pross
    Collapsing doesn't help though
  • A hat trick of catches on the boundary isn't an everyday occurrence.
  • mrb123 said:

How do they measure the 6 distances when they hit the stands? Is it taken from where they make impact or where they would have landed if the stand hadn't got in the way?

Got me thinking -
    What's the biggest hit recorded by the current TV technology?
    What's the biggest hit pre-technology (anecdotes of clearing a pavilion roof are fine)
    Is there an actual world record for how far a cricket ball has travelled from the bat?
  • Pross

mrb123 said:

Got me thinking -
    What's the biggest hit pre-technology (anecdotes of clearing a pavilion roof are fine)
    Is there an actual world record for how far a cricket ball has travelled from the bat?
    Apparently it uses the "range of projectile" formula so measures how far the ball would have gone if the stand wasn't in the way. Longest recorded is apparently 127m by Guptill in 2012, Livingstone hit 122m v Pakistan which is the longest recorded since that.

In terms of older matches I seem to recall a couple of huge ones on the footage I saw of Sobers hitting Malcolm Nash (whose mum lived in the next street to me when I was a kid) for 6 sixes in an over. Bats were much lighter then too.

Biggest hits I've seen live were probably Ravi Shastri on the small ground in my home town where he did some damage to the parked cars at one end and put a couple into the brand new luxury houses at the other end. Possibly not as big as they seemed due to it being a small ground though. Saw Botham and Viv bat there too but Shastri's is the innings I remember most.

Edit - just watched the Sobers over again. The first and second were nearly identical over long on, third was a long straight hit, the fourth was huge over mid wicket, fifth was caught over the boundary and the sixth was the massive one out of the ground over mid wicket. St Helen's isn't a small ground either.
  • Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Got me thinking -
    Apparently it uses the "range of projectile" formula so measures how far the ball would have gone if the stand wasn't in the way. Longest recorded is apparently 127m by Guptill in 2012, Livingstone hit 122m v Pakistan which is the longest recorded since that.

In terms of older matches I seem to recall a couple of huge ones on the footage I saw of Sobers hitting Malcolm Nash (whose mum lived in the next street to me when I was a kid) for 6 sixes in an over. Bats were much lighter then too.

Biggest hits I've seen live were probably Ravi Shastri on the small ground in my home town where he did some damage to the parked cars at one end and put a couple into the brand new luxury houses at the other end. Possibly not as big as they seemed due to it being a small ground though. Saw Botham and Viv bat there too but Shastri's is the innings I remember most.

Edit - just watched the Sobers over again. The first and second were nearly identical over long on, third was a long straight hit, the fourth was huge over mid wicket, fifth was caught over the boundary and the sixth was the massive one out of the ground over mid wicket. St Helen's isn't a small ground either.
    I would be amazed if the olden days saw longer sixes as the players were not atheletes and people who have picked upmodernbats say they are like trampolines in comparison
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    Brett Lee hit some big sixes, but his bat was subsequently banned.

Albert Trott cleared the pavilion at Lords which is a big hit.
  • Pross

Pross said:

mrb123 said:

Got me thinking -

I would be amazed if the olden days saw longer sixes as the players were not atheletes and people who have picked upmodernbats say they are like trampolines in comparison
    I don't think it was anywhere near the 127m mark that's for sure but that final 6 was massive especially considering the bat technology as you say. If you look at those shots though there was far more body going into the shot than you usually see now to the point he was virtually falling over. A lot of modern day sixes are down to the rope being so far from the field boundary, I suspect a lot of them would have been caught when the roped was more or less on the perimeter.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    NZ win the toss and bowl. A real challenge for England now
  • 166 looks pretty good to me
  • Feeling confident at the 1/2 way mark
  • Not now... that's some impressive hitting.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Come on the Kiwis
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Tashman said:

Come on the Kiwis

I'm guessing most neutral (and all England!) supporters are saying the same thing...
  • Pross
    Pakistan and England in classic 'peaked too early' form. Both started the tournament incredibly strongly.

Conway out of the final after breaking his hand punching his bat!
  • Pross said:

Pakistan and England in classic 'peaked too early' form. Both started the tournament incredibly strongly.

Conway out of the final after breaking his hand punching his bat!

I think that will be a huge miss for them.

I can not see how that is possible when wearing batting gloves
  • bikes_and_dogs
    bikes_and_dogs Posts: 130
    edited November 2021
    Back to the big hits thing - the bit about a world record.
    Has someone had dollies bowled at them, with the express intention of hitting the ball as far as it could possibly go?
    I would like to see Tyson Fury and Bryson Dechambeau try this.
    Maybe an ice hockey player, a strongman, even a basketball player(tall = rotational force)
    Sounds way better than Strictly.
  • Pross
    edited November 2021
    Anyone remember that weird cricket match they played at the Millennium Stadium where they had the roof closed and it was something like a 6 for the bottom tier of the stand, 8 for the middle, 10 for the top and 12 to hit the roof?

The big hitter of the day, think it was a South African, tried for the roof but got nowhere near it.

Edit - it was Power Cricket, not sure who the player was I was thinking about originally but Afridi did manage to hit the room albeit above the stands rather than in the middle which was where I recall someone trying.
  • Back to the big hits thing - the bit about a world record.
    Has someone had dollies bowled at them, with the express intention of hitting the ball as far as it could possibly go?
    Maybe an ice hockey player, a strongman, even a basketball player(tall = rotational force)

They do that all the time, it is called range hitting and allows them to figure out the optimum distance to try and hit it. Sounds daft but if the boundary is 70 metres why try and hit 100m.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree with power hitters as timing is more important. Buttler is our best hitter and is far from the most muscular guy.

Yes I know Livingstone hits the odd one further but Buttler is a class apart
  • Back to the big hits thing - the bit about a world record.

They do that all the time, it is called range hitting and allows them to figure out the optimum distance to try and hit it. Sounds daft but if the boundary is 70 metres why try and hit 100m.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree with power hitters as timing is more important. Buttler is our best hitter and is far from the most muscular guy.

Yes I know Livingstone hits the odd one further but Buttler is a class apart
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Cricket makes the front pages and no one comments?!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    edited November 2021

Cricket makes the front pages and no one comments?!

Not sure anything new came out

Am also quite surprised that Yorkshire people being racist is front page news. Probably the biggest surprise was that it got better with an Australian in charge (yes, I know but don’t ruin it)
  • I've been wondering what to say really, I have followed the hearing today and it's quite incredible what has gone on. Not so much the racism and I don't mean to dismiss the seriousness of that in any way, more a case of not really being surprised to hear of racism unfortunately, but the handling of the investigation.
    Left with the impression it couldn't have been handled more badly and they'll struggle to find a broom big enough to sweep the place clean. Is it an affliction a lot of sports clubs suffer, the tie and blazer brigade running it and refuse to believe anything is wrong?

Wonder what those dismissing Ollie Robinsons tweets a few months back as just young mans banter feel about it now.
  • Pross
    Dan Roan is reporting on it now, he was a bit late to the game but may have found a genuine scandal.
  • Pross said:

Dan Roan is reporting on it now, he was a bit late to the game but may have found a genuine scandal.

Who knew, a player crying “Racist” turns out to be a racist himself ( anti Semitic tweets ).

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,750
    Ncovidius said:

Pross said:

Who knew, a player crying “Racist” turns out to be a racist himself ( anti Semitic tweets ).

Did he commission a report to dismiss the claim as banter or deny all knowledge of it?
  • Pross
    Ncovidius said:

Pross said:

He wasn't crying racist though was he? He reported incidents that have since been accepted as true but which Yorkshire CC stupidly tried to bury.

That said, I'm surprised his advisers didn't ask him if he had anything in his closet so that they could get it out there first and 'control the narrative'.