Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

Getting run out in this situation is unforgiveable.

Indeed. Brain fart. Particularly after almost getting run out an over or two before.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Was it Hameed's call?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391
    That said, Malan seemed a bit bogged down. Hopefully getting Root in will get things moving more positively.

Sounds like the crowd is predominantly Indian.
  • Pross said:

Getting run out in this situation is unforgiveable.

or running out your colleague is unforgiveable
  • If anybody is interested it was misty first thing but now the sun is out and it is heating up already

Yep, going to be clear as a bell, no wind and forecast 23 degrees by midday. Could be a great day's cricket with every result still possible.
    Agreed - can’t see India winning without the pitch breaking up and Jadeja bowling better.

History is against us on the chase but I think the Test chase records will get smashed in the coming years as one day experience kicks in.

We just need to tick over, keep wickets and then knock off 100-120 in the last 20 overs. Just need a proper batsman at one end and then Bairstow, Ali and Woakes doing a quick 30.
    There's always chat about it, but one day restrictions make it much harder to restrict scoring.
    I would love to see a one day game played with no fielding restrictions.

Today with the bigger boundaries there would be a lot of non-boundaries on offer so allowing and easy 5/6 an over
    With current one day rules about wides on the leg side/bouncers or test rules?
    bouncers are not an issue on ths pitch. Leg side wides I just think players are far more adept at scoring. Hopefully we will get to find out.

I think slow over rate will have more of an impact
    I meant your theoretical one dayer - would you allow bowling down the leg side with no fielding restrictions?
    good question but there is so little leeway for legside wides that would be very risky
  • Pross
    Not looking good now. Root and Bairstow need to bat until tea
  • elbowloh
    Pross said:

Not looking good now. Root and Bairstow need to bat until tea

Yeah, looks like England are going to lose this now.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    And now Bairstow gone for a duck.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    I can hear the fat lady warming up...

sorry the plus size individual of a non-binary sex warming up.
  • Pross
    Classic England batting. I thought that Pope might have what it takes, I can see Root stranded yet again.
  • elbowloh
    and now Ali gone for 2.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • JimD666
    This won't make tea.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    Bugger, Bugger, Bugger
  • They deserve this win - once England got a bit too far behind the rate, they absolutely went on the attack.

Pope's was a bad one though. Could have got a bus through that gap.
  • elbowloh
    Root gone, all hope gone.

Been a very disappointing day. I suppose the ball has been swinging, but it seems that since the run out India got their tails up and England just collapsed.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    England just aren't very good at batting out, they either set about the bowling and get heroic wins or fall apart. They needed to bat like India did in their second innings, if the ball isn't there for an easy hit or threatening the stumps just ignore it.
  • elbowloh said:

Root gone, all hope gone.

Been a very disappointing day. I suppose the ball has been swinging, but it seems that since the run out India got their tails up and England just collapsed.

The weather got a lot closer just after lunch - it feels like it's got a bit less humid just now, so not really surprised it swung around.
  • Pross
    That scorecard is making grim reading after the openers, that are usually a problem, got things off to a decent start.
  • JimD666
    I'm trying to decide if we're being a little unfair to the Indian bowlers. After all if the positions were reversed we'd of being singing the praises of Anderson, Robinson, Ali et al..

I know our batting is a little fragile and the less said about that run out the better but still...

Well played India
  • JimD666 said:

I'm trying to decide if we're being a little unfair to the Indian bowlers. After all if the positions were reversed we'd of being singing the praises of Anderson, Robinson, Ali et al..

I know our batting is a little fragile and the less said about that run out the better but still...

Well played India

I agree with you plus I think that Kohli's game management is much better than Root's.

I think I have said it on here before that taking into account their strength in depth this is one of the all time great cricket teams up there with the great Windies and Oz teams.
  • JimD666 said:

Well played India

Bumrah is magnificent. He has a run up like he's going to spin it, then swings it like a demon.

Kohli's field placings were so attacking, was great to see.
  • Pross

JimD666 said:

Well played India

Bumrah is magnificent. He has a run up like he's going to spin it, then swings it like a demon.

How does he bowl 90mph off that run up? To be fair, England didn't give many wickets away other than the run out. There really wasn't much Bairstow or Pope could do.
  • Pross said:

JimD666 said:

Well played India

How does he bowl 90mph off that run up? To be fair, England didn't give many wickets away other than the run out. There really wasn't much Bairstow or Pope could do.
    Yes, I thought Pope left a big gap, but the angle it came in at him, he'd have been lbw even if it hadn't ricocheted onto the stumps.
    Bairstow's was a perfect inswinging yorker that moved a huge amount before pitching. Unplayable.
  • JimD666 said:

Well played India

JimD666 said:

Well played India

Apparently where he grew up he had no room for a run up and has never changed, he generates his speed through massive upper body strength.
  • elbowloh
    On another note, is anyone at the ECB thinking about how we can get more England fans into the matches? It seems that the team would benefit if they felt like they were playing in front of a home crowd rather than away. I'm guessing they don't care so long as the tickets are sold?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

On another note, is anyone at the ECB thinking about how we can get more England fans into the matches? It seems that the team would benefit if they felt like they were playing in front of a home crowd rather than away. I'm guessing they don't care so long as the tickets are sold?

The tickets for the Oval went on sale in December 2019 for the Windies and got rolled over. Therefore I would suggest that the perception of it being anymore than 10% Indian fans is an optical/audio illusion created by the cameras.

Day 5 is of course an exception.

There best hope is to encourage drunkeness
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

The tickets for the Oval went on sale in December 2019 for the Windies and got rolled over. Therefore I would suggest that the perception of it being anymore than 10% Indian fans is an optical/audio illusion created by the cameras.

That's a given.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

That's a given.
    They actually restrict you to no more that 4 drinks per person

I just got an email inviting me to enter the ballot for 2022 and they actually ask who you are supporting. Also reminded me that the tix are sold by the venue not by ECB
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

That's a given.
    They actually restrict you to no more that 4 drinks per person

I just got an email inviting me to enter the ballot for 2022 and they actually ask who you are supporting. Also reminded me that the tix are sold by the venue not by ECB
    At a time not total?

I drank a shed load more than that in the last Ashes test at Lords.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk