Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,931
    edited August 2021
    Pretty much what Cook has just said on TMS.

EDIT to add. My concern is getting bowled out tonight without allowing enough time to come out again. India get a chance to freshen up over night, and start with a clear head tomorrow.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,544
    edited August 2021
    Felt like a great chance for that middle order, who can be pretty destructive in limited overs cricket, to have a stress free swing but they missed out.

Edit - Curran seems keen to do it though.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    With so much time available I would have India chasing leather for as long as possible, serve up a little humility for their bowlers after Lords.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Whatever happens I wouldn't be sending Jimmy out for a bat in this innings.
  • JimD666
    My thought would of been what would I, if opening the batting, would least like to do. Would be much happier going out this morning (assuming we're bowled out, the tail may well wag yet) than I would of been last night.

However it's somewhat easier to make that attacking call knowing that I'd never be a a position to actually make the decision.

If we can bat this mornings session out though, the call to keep batting made by most others would be fully justified.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,251
    Root should opt to bowl whenever Anderson looks at the sky and says "It is time".
  • Pross
    They were debating on TMS yesterday evening on what would be the latest you could inform India of a declaration and whether you could go as far as getting your batsmen padded up then putting them in to bat straight away when they might not be mentally prepared. I don't think it would matter much as I suspect that the Indian openers are thinking they will be batting very soon whether there's a declaration or not. I would have given them 5 overs last night when they were tired and no doubt a bit dejected after 4.5 sessions in the field and having gone over 300 runs behind.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    TBH I was hoping we'd kick on and make about 600 to really grind them into the dust before then sticking them in to bat after tea today. Not like there's a lack of time in the game. Felt a bit like we were content for our innings to fizzle out somewhat on the basis we've probably already scored enough not to have to bat again.
  • Pross
    mrb123 said:

TBH I was hoping we'd kick on and make about 600 to really grind them into the dust before then sticking them in to bat after tea today. Not like there's a lack of time in the game. Felt a bit like we were content for our innings to fizzle out somewhat on the basis we've probably already scored enough not to have to bat again.

That was my hope until we lost the middle order quite cheaply. I thought 500 was a reasonable chance. Once we were down 8 wickets though I think I would have declared and given the bowlers a few overs. I was disappointed the likes of Buttler didn't make the most of a rare opportunity to bat with a bit of freedom.
  • JimD666
    Anderson batting. Can't help but feel a lack of ambition from England.
  • JimD666
    So, a rested India have taken 2 quick wickets which will do their confidence the world of good as they come in to bat.

Over to the bowlers.
  • JimD666
    Covers on. Drizzle
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,251
    JimD666 said:

So, a rested India have taken 2 quick wickets which will do their confidence the world of good as they come in to bat.

Over to the bowlers.

Why would quick wickets give them confidence?

This is the start of day 3. I don't think a lack of ambition is a problem.
  • Pross
    Alternatively 2 quick wickets might be a sign that conditions are good for bowling (I didn't see the wickets though). I note it is now drizzling, this will probably carry on for 2 days allowing India to save the match.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,621
    Pross said:

They were debating on TMS yesterday evening on what would be the latest you could inform India of a declaration and whether you could go as far as getting your batsmen padded up then putting them in to bat straight away when they might not be mentally prepared. I don't think it would matter much as I suspect that the Indian openers are thinking they will be batting very soon whether there's a declaration or not. I would have given them 5 overs last night when they were tired and no doubt a bit dejected after 4.5 sessions in the field and having gone over 300 runs behind.

Would assume it is 10 mins before. If England had declared at 11am, India would have needed to bat at 11.10am.
  • Pross
    The Indian openers look determined to go back to their previous form and just stay there forever.
  • Pross
    Not having much luck on the appeals. The one that looked a certainty had a desperation review by India that over-ruled the umpire. I think they should either appeal less or be prepared to challenge a not out as there's a risk that by appealing and then not having the courage of their conviction it might make the umpire less likely to give things. The bowling deserves a wicket or two.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    Sounds like an outstanding catch from Bairstow to dismiss Rahul - last ball before lunch . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    . . . from Overton bowling
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • JimD666
    edited August 2021

Sounds like an outstanding catch from Bairstow to dismiss Rahul - last ball before lunch . . .

Yeah, just waiting for the BBC live text to get the clip :)
  • JimD666
    Clip is up on the live text page. Cracking 2nd slip catch
  • laurentian
    JimD666 said:

Clip is up on the live text page. Cracking 2nd slip catch

Just saw it! Great Stuff!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Pross
    Suspect Root would have been a bit annoyed if he'd dropped it as it looked to be going straight to him. Superb reflex catch though.
  • Pross
    Feels like the game is going away from England a bit here despite still having a good lead. They've bowled much better than the Indian score is suggesting but really need a wicket soon, if they get level with a few wickets remaining it could create a bit of pressure.
  • JimD666
    Not too worried yet, only day 3 after all.

If they bat through today and tomorrow however.....
  • JimD666
    India batted well. England bowled ok (in spells) just didn't get much luck and Jimmy was a little more wayward than usual.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow
  • JimD666
    Pujara and Kohli both gone. Hopefully wrap this up today.
  • Pross
    5 down now so should be good. I would have got nervous if India built a three figure lead.
  • JimD666
    edited August 2021
    6 down. This may be over faster than expected

EDIT: This maybe over by Lunch! Didn't expect that at the start of today
  • JimD666
    All over. Rather a capitulation from India this morning, fairly Englandish in its rapidity.