Froome thinking about leaving Ineos

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,601
    dish_dash said:

Will Ineos actually send Froome to the Tour now? They’ve got Bernal and Thomas, we’ve seen how we’ll a ‘Trident’ works in the past.

It’s not ideal for Froome obviously but I can’t see how it would make sense to Ineos to send a guy who they know is leaving.

This... If I were team manager I wouldn't take him to the Tour. Maybe Giro or Vuelta
    I tend to agree.

Froome is super professional by all accounts so I guess you wouldn't need to worry too much, but I also get the distinct impression that for Froome it is all about Froome.

My impression of him is that he's not the kind of guy who feels he owes anyone very much nor that anyone owes him very much.
  • He also has a point to prove. This is akin to the Hinault and Lemond. Very toxic.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,869
    edited July 2020
    I don't believe Ineos will be romantic about him getting his 5th Tour, and if he did, he would then be defending it in another teams jersey.

I hope they do take him, it could be rather entertaining.

It's going to be very strange seeing him racing for another team, but very good for the sport imho.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    I have a sneaking suspicion that behind the scenes Ineos know what Froome's data looks like and it isn't quite up to scratch. Taking him to the Tour won't be a trifecta shitshow risk because he just won't match Bernal & Thomas and will fall in as super-domestique fairly quickly.

If all three are in form then it's going to be very, very tense. I really hope so!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

I have a sneaking suspicion that behind the scenes Ineos know what Froome's data looks like and it isn't quite up to scratch. Taking him to the Tour won't be a trifecta shitshow risk because he just won't match Bernal & Thomas and will fall in as super-domestique fairly quickly.

If all three are in form then it's going to be very, very tense. I really hope so!

If all 3 are in form, Chris Froome's winning it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Surely it's not romanticism wanting Froome to get the 5th , or if it is surely the whole sport's about romanticism? My do we still take about Hinault and Merckx etc? I can't believe Brailsford in particular wouldn't want 5.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited July 2020
    Every indication says that he's doing Tour. In today's press release he said that's his focus 'in the meantime'. Ineos aren't putting that out on their own website if it's not true.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537
    inseine said:

Surely it's not romanticism wanting Froome to get the 5th , or if it is surely the whole sport's about romanticism? My do we still take about Hinault and Merckx etc? I can't believe Brailsford in particular wouldn't want 5.

Brailsford has more than 5...
  • inseine

inseine said:

Brailsford has more than 5...
    whatever. I think you get my point, complex as it is.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537
    I think he will want to move on as he did with Wiggins to whatever he feels is the best horse, that may or may not be Froome and his 5 TdFs. Apologies for being facetious
  • inseine
    It's a valid point. I'm sure they wouldn't risk the win just for Froome to get 5 if he wasn't in form. On the other hand the whole sport is about romanticism and history isn't it? Radcliffe certainly isn't in it for the money and I'm not sure many others are. They wouldn't stand Froome down just to be petulant.
  • inseine
    Plus this film they're making reads a whole lot better as " near death to number 5" than " near death to watching the Tour on TV"
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    One thing, sorry if I've missed it: why are ISUN able to announce this before August 1st?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

One thing, sorry if I've missed it: why are ISUN able to announce this before August 1st?

If all concerned are happy to, I don't know why it would be a problem. They haven't announced his signing anyway. They've announced that he will be signing
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Ineos are hard-nosed enough to leave Froome at home for the TdF. They're also hard-nosed enough to realise that a 5th win for Froome is worth more publicity than a 2nd for someone else, so it ought to happen (if it can) in their jersey. If it annoys Bernal so be it - is he really likely to leave for somewhere else knowing that his biggest rival has already left?

I can see this going either way, if I'm honest. Ineos will do whatever's best for them, I'm sure.
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

Every indication says that he's doing Tour. In today's press release he said that's his focus 'in the meantime'. Ineos aren't putting that out on their own website if it's not true.

It adds a bit of spice to the Bernal / Froome dynamic.

Froome did leave it quite late to throw his weight behind Thomas.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    A 5th win is huge publicity - but a battle between Bernal and Froome with either of them winning is arguably huger publicity !!

Of course it risks them losing a race they might otherwise have won but it could end up with the best possible outcome in terms of publicity and in terms of just creating a memorable sporting story. Then assuming Froome is still competitive next year we have the rematch already signed.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • salsiccia1

A 5th win is huge publicity - but a battle between Bernal and Froome with either of them winning is arguably huger publicity !!

Of course it risks them losing a race they might otherwise have won but it could end up with the best possible outcome in terms of publicity and in terms of just creating a memorable sporting story. Then assuming Froome is still competitive next year we have the rematch already signed.

That's it though. Jumbo ain't messing around this year - but they might have the same problem with Roglic/Kruiswijk/Dumoulin !

• rick_chasey

That's it though. Jumbo ain't messing around this year - but they might have the same problem with Roglic/Kruiswijk/Dumoulin !

Mmmmm Roglic is head and shoulders (i'm looking at you, Kruiswijk), above the other two currently.

I'm sceptical Dumoulin can get back to the level he has previously been.
  • salsiccia1

He won't think that though ;-)

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

Mmmmm Roglic is head and shoulders (i'm looking at you, Kruiswijk), above the other two currently.

Agreed. I get the feeling Tom's head has gone a bit and he doesn't want it enough against the likes of those who do.

Feel for Dan Martin a bit, but for me he's never looked consistent enough to be a genuine GC contender for the three week tours.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    edited July 2020
    If martin was going to deliver he would have done so by now. Nice to win 5 but Ineos would rather win and if they could get 2 or 3 on the podium even better. Wouldnt Froome get a fistful of UCI points if he wins? £5 million a year tho is a good saving at Ineos considering they have Thomas (last year coming up), Bernal and Carapaz so not short of contenders. Porte and Froome? It worked before but coming to the end of their careers (Valverde hasnt had an issue tho). Nieve would be doing the job he's always done. He's like a low maintenance Landa
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Indeed. Dumoulin and Kruijswijk didn't even bother to turn up for the Slovenian nationals

(Joking aside, you're probably right)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    As has been said above, I reckon Froome's been given guarantees that he'll be riding the Tour else we would have seen a mid season transfer.

If the Ineos trident* can avoid attacking each other/towing rivals to teammate's breakaways then Ineos will be in a very very strong position.

*By "trio" I mean Froome + Bernal; I can't see G attacking a F or B breakaway.
    (My Tour wish scenario would be for a late stage 5-10 minute breakaway that includes G -- then watching the chase group fireworks.)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,869
    inseine said:

It's a valid point. I'm sure they wouldn't risk the win just for Froome to get 5 if he wasn't in form. On the other hand the whole sport is about romanticism and history isn't it? Radcliffe certainly isn't in it for the money and I'm not sure many others are. They wouldn't stand Froome down just to be petulant.

The sport is romantic, but I don't believe Brailsford is about it.
    Bernal is only 23, I suspect he will be thinking more about how many tour wins he could get, 7 or 8 potentially.
    He likes to help 'make' history, so I think that is what he will have his eye on, but I'll happily be proved wrong.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • inseine
    amrushton said:

If martin was going to deliver he would have done so by now. Nice to win 5 but Ineos would rather win and if they could get 2 or 3 on the podium even better. Wouldnt Froome get a fistful of UCI points if he wins? £5 million a year tho is a good saving at Ineos considering they have Thomas (last year coming up), Bernal and Carapaz so not short of contenders. Porte and Froome? It worked before but coming to the end of their careers (Valverde hasnt had an issue tho). Nieve would be doing the job he's always done. He's like a low maintenance Landa

You really think billionaire Ratcliffe is more interested in saving a few million and some UCI points at team that is usually top two in the rankings than a fifth Tour?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    What's the deal with thinking about what's best for publicity?

It's just whatever the big guy wants, surely?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137

Yeah, my thinking too. If he goes and he's in form 2012 showed how he dislikes being the faithful lieutenant and he'd nothing to lose this time with a deal already done. They either know he's capable of going in to win number 5 (in which case they would probably have tried harder to keep him) or his numbers aren't up to doing anything more than mountain domestique duties.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137
    The value of the deal seems poor for ISUN considering Froome's age and the unknown extent of his recovery. I can see that a big 12 month deal might be good for publicity but by year 3 with him potentially not having won a GT in nearly 5 years it wouldn't look like good value.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    Pross said:

The value of the deal seems poor for ISUN considering Froome's age and the unknown extent of his recovery. I can see that a big 12 month deal might be good for publicity but by year 3 with him potentially not having won a GT in nearly 5 years it wouldn't look like good value.

I'm not so sure about that.
    Quintana hasn't won a GT since '16, a GT podium since '17 or a major stage race since '17. But he gets loads of TV exposure and headlines.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format