Froome thinking about leaving Ineos

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137
    Nah, say what you like about Frenchie but there's no way he would suggest a triathlete could beat pro cyclists.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    A mate of mine was working with a well known cycling author/journalist/TV bloke in 2001 (or 2002, I forget which). He’d had some off the record confirmation from an excited Johan Bruyneel in the run up to that years Tour that Armstrong was hitting 6.8W/kg in training, which is what they said is what he needed going into the Tour for victory.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    Pross said:

Nah, say what you like about Frenchie but there's no way he would suggest a triathlete could beat pro cyclists.

The years in the wilderness can....change a man. I mean, just 40 days and Jesus came back saying he was the son of God. A couple of years and one could easily start believing weird stuff about triathlon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Ineos arrived in Tenerife yesterday. Thomas, Froome, Rowe, Sivakov, Amador, Kwiatkowski, van Baarle and Castroviejo. I wonder if there will be any spies looking out for Froome's form.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,958
    Team leader gets a different mask? ;)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    RichN95. said:

Ineos arrived in Tenerife yesterday. Thomas, Froome, Rowe, Sivakov, Amador, Kwiatkowski, van Baarle and Castroviejo. I wonder if there will be any spies looking out for Froome's form.

Amador or Sivakov if Froome goes?
  • davieb78
    davieb78 Posts: 99

RichN95. said:

Nah, that's the team. No Bernal. ;)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    Tao Geoghegan-Hart is there too.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    zest28 said:

zest28 said:

I can't see Egan being able to carry Team Ineos like Chris did if even Julian gives Egan so much trouble.

Contador is probably kicking himself why he is not in this era of cycling as he would destroy everybody with ease today.

Contador lost his mojo when he should still have been able to destroy everybody with ease.
    I am talking about a Contador in his prime. I have been looking at some numbers of the current riders in the field and Contador his power number was way higher than anyone in the current field despite Contador being a lightweight climber. The current field of riders is quite weak in comparison to titans like Contador.

So maybe Froome might be able to do some magic next year as he doesn’t need to be as good as he was in his prime to win again.
    At his prime was that around the time he was consuming all that prime beef?

• 50x11
    davieb78 said:

RichN95. said:

Nah, that's the team. No Bernal. ;)
    If Bernal didn't make it into the country I'd say that'd be the team for the tour this year.
  • 50x11

zest28 said:

Titans like Contador are on a whole different level. We are talking about someone who had a FTP of over 7W/kg and he could defeat Team Sky all by himself. Nobody in current pro cycling is close to those numbers.

Frenchie, you've come home!

Wow that's a long forgotten name, but writes with the same panache about his hero. I wonder what spurred the return.
  • RichN95.
    andyp said:

Tao Geoghegan-Hart is there too.

He's the translator
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    ahhh Contador was quality, a real winner but one who rode with his heart, a racer for the sake of racing, at times all in against the odds like in PN.

He looked good on the bike too. Bernal I think has many of the same characteristics albeit with only 10% of the panache.

• RichN95.
    edited July 2020
    david37 said:

ahhh Contador was quality, a real winner but one who rode with his heart, a racer for the sake of racing, at times all in against the odds like in PN.

He looked good on the bike too. Bernal I think has many of the same characteristics albeit with only 10% of the panache.

When Contador was winning he was as defensive any other rider. Perhaps more defensive. He was an excellent defensive rider. He rode with his brain. He usually only attacked when he was behind or was out of contention. In three of his GT wins he didn't win a stage. And he shuffled around on a TT bike like he had worms.
  • david37
    RichN95. said:

david37 said:

When Contador was winning he was as defensive any other rider. Perhaps more defensive. He was an excellent defensive rider. He rode with his brain. He usually only attacked when he was behind or was out of contention. In three of his GT wins he didn't win a stage. And he shuffled around on a TT bike like he had worms.
    But when he was behind he would happily launch a suicide attack, when he was cruelly told he was losing he doubled down (think annecy). Accepted his TT wasnt an exercise in smooth power like Cancellera, but he was effective. His style on the road bike however was peerless.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Suicide attacks ain't that impressive if you're already dead tho
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    ddraver said:

Suicide attacks ain't that impressive if you're already dead tho

Or rise from the dead Like Froome on Finsistre. 80km. Two massive climbs. Started the day in 4th, 3'22" behind. Finished 40" in the lead. Wasn't messing around looking for a top ten or podium. True racer. Heavyweight.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    david37 said:

RichN95. said:

david37 said:

But when he was behind he would happily launch a suicide attack, when he was cruelly told he was losing he doubled down (think annecy). Accepted his TT wasnt an exercise in smooth power like Cancellera, but he was effective. His style on the road bike however was peerless.
    I assume you mean his climbing style.
    I've always thought it rather ugly and not terribly efficient.
    If I was going for peerless in the "out of the saddle" stakes, I'd pick Pantani every time.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,194
    I've just watched the finish of the 2000 Hautacam stage (The Move podcast / YouTube) when Pantani loses LA's wheel and just switches out. The mental change is visible in his style on the bike. So yes Pantani on a good day, but...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,384
    Contador must have been one of the most inefficient GT riders with all that in and out of the saddle, wobbling the bike around, and so people are daft enough to think that looked good?! :D
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    In defence of Contador, I've always argued that greatness in sport isn't what someone achieves but how they make you feel whilst they're doing it, so if Contador's climbing style floats your boat (possibly because it looks like a better version of your own style honking over an inconveniently placed speed bump or mighty 3% incline) then fine, knock yourself out.

Personally I always struggled to like him because of his fans, but then I'm one of nature's hipsters. Yes, there is a unicycle in my shed. Why do you ask?
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    edited July 2020
    I’ve never been a huge fan of Contador but enjoyed his various showdowns with Froome the Astana affair v Armstrong was fun.

His climb up the Mortirolo in the Giro in 2015 was legendary though.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Contador was/is amazing, but it's Valverde who looks epic on the bike. Not Alberto.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    edited July 2020
    orraloon said:

I've just watched the finish of the 2000 Hautacam stage (The Move podcast / YouTube) when Pantani loses LA's wheel and just switches out. The mental change is visible in his style on the bike. So yes Pantani on a good day, but...

Not sure how bad days applies when comparing riders in their prime.
    Unless you think that Contador looked equally good when getting dropped like a stone by Froome in 2013, 2015 etc.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    edited July 2020
    sherer said:

@zest28 it's a random photo with no info on when it was taken. We have to take Contadors word on what is weight was to work out any meaning from the numbers.

Looking at the heart rate that is far too high and cadence too low, so straight away there are warning signs on the pic too.

What do you mean? Cantador was a climber who could climb out of the saddle for 20 minutes straight. So he could have done this low cadence performance on a climb.

And 183 bpm is not too high depending on Contador his genetics as I see plenty of cyclist pushing these sort of heart rates. (some people got low heart rates while some got high heart rates. You can't just say a number is too high for someone as it is very individual)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Contador did not have an FTP of 7.1 w/kg. It's just not credible.

If he did, he was going easy on all of his climbs because none of the climbing estimates for him come close to that. And he would have been winning all of the mountain stages without too much trouble either because he would be significantly above anyone else.
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2020
    Anyway, enough about Contador. Ineos seem to have gone on a camping trip

Taken by a Dutch bloke (@Wielerboek) on holiday
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Why do I get the impression that must be the worst picnic ever...

Boring uber-food, no beer, no jumping off cliffs into the refreshing water (Luke!!!)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,599
    orraloon said:

No-one looks good on a bad day, apart from Quintana, and then he gets heat for not trying.
  • david37
    Quintana looks awful every day.