Froome thinking about leaving Ineos

18910111214»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    edited July 2020
    gweeds said:

That sounds like a rubbish American Football college team

In a reciprocal move the Washington Redskins have been renamed Washington Garmin-Chipotle-Nissan-Trek presented by Berry Floors
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,566
    Hat.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    gweeds said:

Hat.

Talking of which, I don't fancy their chances in the team time trial any more.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Convenient way to offset part of the team budget to the cars promo budget.
  • RichN95.
    Thinking about it a Froome win would be the best option for the Grenadier. The copy writes itself.

Tough, uncompromising. No matter how much it gets beaten up it comes back and keeps going. More at home on the plains of Africa than in the cities. It may not look pretty but it gets the job done time and time again
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I feel like Froome has quite a future in The City tho... ;)

Can they get Egan to look a bit more rugged and gnarled?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2020
    ddraver said:

Can they get Egan to look a bit more rugged and gnarled?

He's more for the middle class, suburban SUV market, because a lot of them like a cheeky little Colombian at the weekend
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    RichN95. said:

Thinking about it a Froome win would be the best option for the Grenadier. The copy writes itself.

Tough, uncompromising. No matter how much it gets beaten up it comes back and keeps going. More at home on the plains of Africa than in the cities. It may not look pretty but it gets the job done time and time again

Disappointed.
    Thought the headline would be Froome, Froome!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    RichN95. said:

Rich hearts Froome hahaha.

"Constantly needs towing, especially through traffic where the grenadier struggles to pick its way through."
  • rick_chasey
    Early testing showed problems with steering

• pblakeney
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I don't think he crashes any more than any other rider. You can't have his record in Grand Tours if you can't handle your bike.
  • pblakeney
    fenix said:

I don't think he crashes any more than any other rider. You can't have his record in Grand Tours if you can't handle your bike.

Possibly taking this part too seriously?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,273
    "Ineos Grenadier: Doesn't crash any more than average"
  • rick_chasey
    'Best driven in a low gear, revving the b@llocks off it."
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,818
    The suspension is rather hard and unforgiving when going downhill.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Rouleur runs with the story he may not be at the TdF
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    amrushton said:

I’m starting to think he probably won’t be and that he’ll be at the giro or Vuelta
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2020
    amrushton said:

By 'story' you actually mean opinion
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    I’m nearly sure that Grenadiers was the name of the girls jazz band in my town back when such things were popular in the 70s or 80s. Loads of them playing awful kazoos and drums in military type formation.
    Wish I had not remembered that now.
  • Just had a quick look at the Grenadier. Just another Landie wannabe in a slightly prettier frock.
    Not a Giro Hero!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470

Just had a quick look at the Grenadier. Just another Landie wannabe in a slightly prettier frock.

That's exactly what it's supposed to be, because the defender isn't really a defender anymore.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Froome seems to think he's going:

https://theguardian.com/sport/2020/aug/03/chris-froome-tour-de-france-team-ineos-crash-comeback

Although in the words of Mandy Rice-Davies, "well he would say that, wouldn't he?". Possible it's part of the PR battle to try and get selected, or Froome really does think he's nailed on?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    As I've said before I think riding the Tour is in his contract and that's why the mid season transfer stuff came up in the first place: there had been suggestion he might not ride so he would be able to break the contract.

Since, he has been given assurances that he will ride in line with what's in his current contract but they would not include a similar clause in his renewal hence he has left.

That's my speculation anyway.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    edited August 2020
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Probably shouldn't be surprising considering his and Geraint's current form and the challenge Jumbo present, but I'm still surprised.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95. said:

amrushton said:

By 'story' you actually mean opinion
    Wehaaay! ;-) (OK i'm being unfair)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    I kind of knew it one year ago... it became obvious once Bernal won the Tour. No point in wasting men on a 35 yo, when you have a better rider who is 12 years younger... plus now they also have Carapaz, there is no place for old dogs. Nobody lasts forever and Froome is too old. He might still be a threat in lesser GTs, but his days in yellow are over
    left the forum March 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    That call may be premature. He may very well win his fifth with Israel next year. You are right in principle though.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023

• The thing I don't get about the new JLR Defender is that it's not cheap and looks like a an SUV you want to polish and drive round London, rather than rag on a farm. JLR have a complete range to do this already! Evoque, Discovery, Velar, Range Rover.

I know it had to be updated because of safety regulations, but why bother when it's intended market want something they don't mind denting and doesn't cost an entry forty grand!

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/100972/new-2021-ineos-grenadier-enters-final-phase-of-development-pictures

Some retailers and sellers are taking advantage of the never-before-seen rise in demand, with prices of some models being dramatically inflated by a the current car buying environment.

That is certainly the case for the Land Rover Defender, especially short-wheelbase, three-door '90' versions.

The previous-generation 4X4 has been in hot demand since production of the utilitarian off-roader ceased in January 2016, while the new model is proving immensely popular but waiting times to get one is between 9 and 12 months.

Advertised prices have been hiked by 104.2 per cent in the last 12 months, with buyers expected to pay an average of £79,022 to get their hands on one.
    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10218061/Used-car-prices-increase-80th-consecutive-week.html
    That royally p1sses on my chips.