Froome thinking about leaving Ineos

Comments

• robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    m.r.m. said:

I'd expect Froome to ride this season with Ineos and then move to Israel Startup Nation for next season on a 3 year contract.

When he’d more than likely have reinforcements in the form if climbing support and experience on the flat
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I actually can't see him carrying on without Ineos...

I don't get the impression he's someone that's going to be happy competing for 7th place.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,586
    m.r.m. said:

I'd expect Froome to ride this season with Ineos and then move to Israel Startup Nation for next season on a 3 year contract.

That is my inkling as well, be interesting to see what happens.

IF he feels he ha a real shot at this year, and won't be given the opportunity with Ineos, then he may well try and move sooner, as at his age, the opportunities are going to get less and less.

If however he knows he will be given equal billing AND his power numbers tell him he is up to the job, then I reckon he will stay until the end of the season, and then perhaps the tour outcome will determine where he goes.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    At Chris's age I don't think he can afford to throw away the chance of winning the Tour this year. He has to be confident that he will win with Ineos, or move now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    The tour will be interesting if Froome doesn’t get dropped early on and finds some form to match Bernal, Roglic et al ready for stages 15-18.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712

True. Brent Bookwalter = Krists Nielands

You can't diss this guy !!! he is awesome
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Ineos have just bought a large chunk of BP for £4 billion, so maybe they need to save a bit of cash.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    In the context of £4 billion, Froome's salary is hardly material...

I'm not sure that day to day stuff happening with Ineos is all that relevant to the cycling team, unless the business is lossmaking for a while. It's Ratcliffe's pet project isn't it.
  • RichN95.

In the context of £4 billion, Froome's salary is hardly material...

I'm not sure that day to day stuff happening with Ineos is all that relevant to the cycling team, unless the business is lossmaking for a while. It's Ratcliffe's pet project isn't it.

I wasn't being serious
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,690
    One of his pet projects, alongside Nice football, F1 and messing about with sailing boats.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    No surprise that he appears to be staying, especially if Ineos really are making a film following his recovery. It needs to end with him riding (ideally winning) the Tour.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited June 2020
    On a tangential note - the Andy Murray documentary on similar was absolutely amazing. Called Resurfacing.

I hope all 3 of them ride. Getting excited now!
  • ddraver
    If there is anyone freaky enough to have smashed training throughout this lockdown weirdness, it's Chris Froome...

For no other reason than that, I wouldn't want him riding against me this...autumn...
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Ineos is also building a car in the Land Rover segment for whatever reason.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    ddraver said:

If there is anyone freaky enough to have smashed training throughout this lockdown weirdness, it's Chris Froome...

For no other reason than that, I wouldn't want him riding against me this...autumn...

I agree. He will be in the absolute best shape for the Tour.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    m.r.m. said:

Could be because Radcliffe surrounds himself with proud to be British hooray henrys, and what's more British than the land rover defender? I believe it was planned for it to be discontinued when ineos announced that they would make a replacement for it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    gsk82 said:

m.r.m. said:

Could be because Radcliffe surrounds himself with proud to be British hooray henrys, and what's more British than the land rover defender? I believe it was planned for it to be discontinued when ineos announced that they would make a replacement for it.

Does he do that? He grew on an Oldham Council estate. It's brought some much needed jobs to Bridgend with Ford moving out.
  • ddraver
    Rabid fanbois aware but I sympathise with people who suggest that the new Defender is not a defender....

Basically just make a tractor with more seats and walls, that's what they're for...
    - @ddraver
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203

The thing I don't get about the new JLR Defender is that it's not cheap and looks like a an SUV you want to polish and drive round London, rather than rag on a farm. JLR have a complete range to do this already! Evoque, Discovery, Velar, Range Rover.

I know it had to be updated because of safety regulations, but why bother when it's intended market want something they don't mind denting and doesn't cost an entry forty grand!

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/100972/new-2021-ineos-grenadier-enters-final-phase-of-development-pictures
  • ddraver
    ...they re gonna use them at Paris Roubaix arent they...
    - @ddraver
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    At the risk of getting even further OT, but Ratcliffe really should have hired a car designer rather than one of his mates. Very disappointing effort.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    edited July 2020
    Front end doesn't excite me. Seems a bit too long. But otherwise looks a decent job for the purpose and better than the Tata equivalent.

I was wondering if the Grenadier will become the Ineos team car full-time... as ddraver said, they have to use it at least for PR, non?
  • focuszing723
    Yes it's a good point from Ddraver and a good way to market it, good name for it too. I had a look at the new Defender and it's a nice looking SUV, but I wouldn't want to put a dent in it though.

To bring this thread back on topic. I can see Froome on a safari hanging off the back looking for big cats n stuff!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328

To bring this thread back on topic. I can see Froome on a safari hanging off the back looking for big cats n stuff!

They're rare in the wild nowadays

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.

He might opt for the Israeli Zibar instead though

• carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    ddraver said:

Its taller than the UCI rules allow, apparently.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    edited July 2020
    deleted
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

ddraver said:

From Twitter:

Team will not be driving them in the convoy though, UCI height limit is 1.66 m.
  • focuszing723
    edited July 2020

ddraver said:

From Twitter:

Team will not be driving them in the convoy though, UCI height limit is 1.66 m.

It's not that with bikes on the roof? What if they had them in the pickup bit?

2.2.032 Except in time trials, all the vehicles accompanying the race are restricted to a maximum height of 1.66 m (not including roof bars).
    https://www.uci.org/docs/default-source/rules-and-regulations/part-ii-road/part-ii---road-races.pdf?sfvrsn=448068eb_30

So they could use them for TT's