Froome thinking about leaving Ineos

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    A somewhat arbitrary rule, non? No surprise from the UCI...
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    dish_dash said:

So riders in the convoy can see over the cars?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Surely it's a rule that gets self-regulated. No-one is going to use a vehicle where it's harder for the mechanic to reach the bike.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2020
    It's funny to look at the vastly differing replies to this on the @ineosgrenadier twitter account ("great, finally a proper working 4x4") and @Teamineos ("you are killing cyclists/the planet")
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,786
    edited July 2020
    "all the vehicles accompanying the race"
    Gonna be a problem for the Ineos (and others) bus.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    gsk82 said:

dish_dash said:

So riders in the convoy can see over the cars?
    Possibly, I assume benchmarked off the average height of a pro-cyclist?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited July 2020
    Yeah, good point about the rider visibility. They could stick a big tele on the back of the Grenadier projecting a view directly in front. That would be better than any car with a load of bikes on top.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    pblakeney said:

They don't accompany the race though. They don't follow the route, they go to the start and finish, and are limited to how close they get to the finish.
  • pblakeney
    edited July 2020
    50x11 said:

pblakeney said:

They don't accompany the race though. They don't follow the route, they go to the start and finish, and are limited to how close they get to the finish.
    Like this you mean? 🤣

Veronese68 wrote:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    The team could be renamed for the tour to promote the grenadier, according to one of the Italian sports papers.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • focuszing723
    gsk82 said:

The team could be renamed for the tour to promote the grenadier, according to one of the Italian sports papers.

Yeah, It would make sense on a large project like this.

Team INEOS are proud to have a multi-year partnership agreement with Ford as the team's exclusive supplier of cars and vans.

https://www.teamineos.com/sponsors/ford

It sounds like the new Grenadier will use BMW engines, so I wonder if the relationship with Ford will change in the future?
  • RichN95.
    edited July 2020

gsk82 said:

Team INEOS are proud to have a multi-year partnership agreement with Ford as the team's exclusive supplier of cars and vans.

It sounds like the new Grenadier will use BMW engines, so I wonder if the relationship with Ford will change in the future?
    Ineos are also a major sponsor of the Mercedes F1 team who have their own similar SUV (G-Class). I don't think Ford have a vehicle that is in the Grenadier's market.
  • focuszing723
    RichN95. said:

gsk82 said:

Ineos are also a major sponsor of the Mercedes F1 team how have their own similar SUV (G-Class)
    Fair point.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    If you don't have a height limit you can't give race organisers a spec on what the minimum clearance for bridges/tunnels is. Nobody* wants to see a race car stuck under a low bridge, with thousands of quids worth of carbon splinters around it.

*Everybody but the team in question
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,565
    British Cycling have a rule on cars used for lead / follow cars in races. I don't think you're allowed SUVs or MPVs. It caught me out on a race I organised when one of the lead cars turned up and was an SUV.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    pblakeney said:

50x11 said:

pblakeney said:

Like this you mean? 🤣

Exactly like that. Ahead of the race. I still can't believe they made them go in under the bridge.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I think Rock Racing got caught out on the vehicle height rule a few years back. They wanted Hummers or something similarly gaudy.

"Rock Racing - Here to Stay"
  • pblakeney
    I guess that this is a thing of the past then?
    Google is amazing, isn't it? 😉

Veronese68 wrote:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Caravan is still fine. Or it was up until Covid.

It's way ahead of the race so no issues with riders not being able to see past giant croissants etc.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    50x11 said:

pblakeney said:

50x11 said:

pblakeney said:

Like this you mean? 🤣

Exactly like that. Ahead of the race. I still can't believe they made them go in under the bridge.
    This was hilarious, it was the year that Greenedge spent the spring banging on about how their bus was bigger than Sky’s, I reckon Dave had that banner lowered to teach them a lesson.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    RichN95. said:

gsk82 said:

m.r.m. said:

Ineos is also building a car in the Land Rover segment for whatever reason.

Could be because Radcliffe surrounds himself with proud to be British hooray henrys, and what's more British than the land rover defender? I believe it was planned for it to be discontinued when ineos announced that they would make a replacement for it.

Does he do that? He grew on an Oldham Council estate. It's brought some much needed jobs to Bridgend with Ford moving out.
    Err, it seems not.
    They were obviously hurt by the criticism on here of their design and have put the breaks on:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53317740

Plans to build a new 4x4 vehicle plant in Wales have been put on hold by the firm Ineos.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

gsk82 said:

m.r.m. said:

Ineos is also building a car in the Land Rover segment for whatever reason.

Could be because Radcliffe surrounds himself with proud to be British hooray henrys, and what's more British than the land rover defender? I believe it was planned for it to be discontinued when ineos announced that they would make a replacement for it.

Does he do that? He grew on an Oldham Council estate. It's brought some much needed jobs to Bridgend with Ford moving out.
    Err, it seems not.
    They were obviously hurt by the criticism on here of their design and have put the breaks on:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53317740

Plans to build a new 4x4 vehicle plant in Wales have been put on hold by the firm Ineos.
    Yeah. Due the Welsh Government announcing that they aren't going ahead with the M$ relief road. They really should just get on a build that thing.
  • focuszing723
    He added: "It's incredible that a company that was so pro-Brexit appears to have taken the decision at the first opportunity to invest in a manufacturing site in the single market."

Ineos said it expected to complete its review of building options "in the next few weeks".

That is a real shame if it doesn't go ahead.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    The Bridgend Senedd member, and former First Minister, Carwyn Jones said he was "always sceptical" and remained to be convinced "Ineos was ever serious about this investment".

He added: "It's incredible that a company that was so pro-Brexit appears to have taken the decision at the first opportunity to invest in a manufacturing site in the single market."

Is it Caz? Not sure you've been paying attention mate...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

The Bridgend Senedd member, and former First Minister, Carwyn Jones said he was "always sceptical" and remained to be convinced "Ineos was ever serious about this investment".

Is it Caz? Not sure you've been paying attention mate...

They announced Bridgend in September 2019. I don't think much has changed about Brexit since then. The M4 Relief Road got cancelled last month though, something Ineos had previously said was essential to the project.

Carwyn's not going to accept that a decade of pissing about, mostly when he was first minister, is the cause.
  • https://www.strava.com/activities/3721738209

Not messing about on the Col de Turini

wattage bazookas
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited July 2020
    Ineos confirm they are not renewing Froome dogs contract.

"Team INEOS confirmed today that they will not be renewing Chris Froome’s contract at the end of this season.
    Sir Dave Brailsford said: "Chris’s current contract comes to an end in December and we have taken the decision now not to renew it. We are making this announcement earlier than would usually be the case to put an end to recent speculation and allow the Team to focus on the season ahead.

"Chris has been with us from the start. He is a great champion and we have shared many memorable moments over the years but I do believe this is the right decision for the Team and for Chris. Given his achievements in the sport, Chris is understandably keen to have sole team leadership in the next chapter of his career - which is not something we are able to guarantee him at this point. A move away from Team INEOS can give him that certainty. At the same time, it will also give other members of our Team the leadership opportunities they too have earned and are rightly seeking. I am excited about the talent we have right across the Team at the current time and all our collective focus is on preparing for the season ahead. Like everyone across the sport we are all looking forward to the start of racing next month."

Chris Froome said: "It has been a phenomenal decade with the Team, we have achieved so much together and I will always treasure the memories. I look forward to exciting new challenges as I move into the next phase of my career but in the meantime my focus is on winning a fifth Tour de France with Team INEOS."
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    edited July 2020
    Probably better to announce it now to get most of the hoopla out the way. Be interesting to see how the tour plays out assuming he’s going. Will it be a Chicago Bulls last dance thing or awkwardness in the team I wonder given he’s leaving.

I wonder when it’ll be confirmed where he’s going next, surely Israel?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584

Probably better to announce it now to get most of the hoopla out the way. Be interesting to see how the tour plays out assuming he’s going. Will it be a Chicago Bulls last dance thing or awkwardness in the team I wonder given he’s leaving.

I wonder when it’ll be confirmed where he’s going next, surely Israel?

I would imagine as soon as he has agreed terms, as the sooner his new team can announce it, presumably the sooner they can start trying to bolster their roster, and also maybe tempt new sponsors.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,686
    Whilst leaving Ineos makes sense given their other/younger leaders, I’m still a bit surprised it’s actually happened.

I assume he must have some climbing/props Grand Tour support lined up to also join the new team. Will certainly be interesting seeing him take on Ineos.