Froome thinking about leaving Ineos

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    50x11 said:

Is it just me that is disappointed every time a well known rider signs for Ineos?

No, especially with classics riders.

Really annoys me Kwia has turned into a glorified domestique who chances it in the one day races rather than the other way around.
    I'm not sure he's doing so badly, he's won a monument, E3, Strada, national titles, Tirreno, and various other GC's.

Barring the world championships he's been at his best under Ineos, and I'm sure he's not been short of offers to move.
    Sure but you feel the priority the team has for him isn’t the classics nor are they really going after building a team around him.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408

50x11 said:

Is it just me that is disappointed every time a well known rider signs for Ineos?

No, especially with classics riders.

Really annoys me Kwia has turned into a glorified domestique who chances it in the one day races rather than the other way around.
    I'm not sure he's doing so badly, he's won a monument, E3, Strada, national titles, Tirreno, and various other GC's.

Barring the world championships he's been at his best under Ineos, and I'm sure he's not been short of offers to move.
    Sure but you feel the priority the team has for him isn’t the classics nor are they really going after building a team around him.
    I understand what you mean but he's not had a terrible career, and is still one of the best one day riders in the world. I don't think if he'd stayed at QS he'd ever have had a team built around him solely, and arguably he has more of that at Ineos because the don't have many one day leaders. But also where else would he have went that would have the strength to support him to this level but also not have another rider of the same level.

Basically I think he picks his one day races at Ineos that he is leader in, and does well out of them. At other teams he'd have always been competing with another leader or a much weaker team to support him. So I don't think he would have won more in this same time.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,480
    Froome or Froome’s wife is negotiating and is a sign of a weak position. It’s probably a case of when not if now.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    The thing with Kwiato is I think Sky / Ineos need him to peak in July to support the tour effort. I don’t think his training is built around a classics campaign. That’s where I think he could have picked up a few more wins
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    edited May 2020
    Mon Dieu!! According to Inrng there is a new British team coming out in 2021 backed by a large sponsor. The info is in L'equipe
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    amrushton said:

Mon Dieu!! According to Inrng there is a new British team coming out in 2021 backed by a large sponsor. The info is in L'equipe

The Yateses are out of contract too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    Seems like quite late in the year for something like that to have first leaked now. Assuming we're talking about a team that could afford Froome (possibly the Yates bros as well) and attract talent of that level.

I guess it's also possible now, with corona likely to kill one or more WT teams
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    I think a British team run by a load of 90s and 00s dopers would be hilarious.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    gsk82 said:

I think a British team run by a load of 90s and 00s dopers would be hilarious.

It would have to be successful to earn the ire of the likes of Roan, Lawton and the Twitter brigade though.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    RichN95. said:

amrushton said:

If the MS 'Peloton on Pause' podcast from last week is anything to go by, the Yates twins sound like they're more than happy with the team they're currently signed to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHnhTqGYYY4
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

amrushton said:

If the MS 'Peloton on Pause' podcast from last week is anything to go by, the Yates twins sound like they're more than happy with the team they're currently signed to.

I'm sure they are. They should be. Although it's one of the teams supposedly in financial jeopardy
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,141
    sherer said:

The thing with Kwiato is I think Sky / Ineos need him to peak in July to support the tour effort. I don’t think his training is built around a classics campaign. That’s where I think he could have picked up a few more wins

Get ya own thread, this is about Froome :D
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,932
    Apologies if this has been discussed, only dipping in and out of the forum atm

Do we think there's any connection between Froome possibly moving on and the sad passing of Nico Portal?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

Do we think there's any connection between Froome possibly moving on and the sad passing of Nico Portal?

No, can't see anything in that.

Froome is in the final year of his contract which happens to have come following a career threatening crash and during a pandemic, which is likely to have devastating long term economic consequences.

Who knows, if he hadn't had the accident last season and showed his usual tdf form then maybe he would have got a new deal in 2019 and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Fact is, until we see how well he has recovered, so until we see some racing again, it's a huge gamble for any team to take in the current circumstances - even one with the financial strength of Ineos.
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2020

I think various things in combination signified a clear change in era, a move towards Sky 3.0 - the sponsor change, Ellingworth leaving, Froome's crash, Bernal winning the Tour, Portal dying.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,433
    I think someone (Sean Yates maybe) mentioned on Twitter something about Nico having a big hand in things...might have been something around underestimating just how big a miss he will be
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    I imagine that Portal had a big part in keeping things smooth between extremely competitive riders. Brailsford isn't exactly known for that side of the job (see the Wiggins to Froome "transition"). Imagine the mess if both had ridden the Tour in '13.

Portal managed to deliver wins for Thomas and Bernal - when each had the current defending champion riding on the same team - without it ever getting nasty. Being able to "let the road decide" without one rider trying to force the issue takes some serious management skill.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    Landa in the press this morning saying he is number 1 and they're not interested in Froome. Wonder if that's a sponsor message.
  • amrushton
    That's him saying 'I'm #1here for this year'. Must be annoying, always the bridesmaid.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Landa was pretty incredible when he was as Sky chaperoning Froome , but he hasn't really demonstrated that level of form for me since. The heavy burden of being the main Man, managing the effort...I don't really know?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Landa has no sprint (to win reduced bunches in 1 day races or stages) and no ITT to win GT's. He is a great lieutenant not a general. I would not build a team around him hoping to win a GT.
    His climbing is very good, but not so much better (if at all) than Froome, Bernal, Contador, Nibali etc. to overcome the other shortcomings.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited June 2020
    This could actually be happening, if the latest rumours are to be believed:

Also here:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froomes-contract-negotiations-remain-ongoing/

ISN are also thought to be looking to sign GVA and Jasper Stuyven.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • amrushton
    Sweet deal for Froome - 3yrs. Must have some money in that team
  • RichN95.
    I still can't see him moving mid season. Why would Ineos allow it unless there's a breach of contract (e.g. non Tour selection)?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    RichN95. said:

I still can't see him moving mid season. Why would Ineos allow it unless there's a breach of contract (e.g. non Tour selection)?

The coaches at sky can see his training data...?
  • RichN95.

RichN95. said:

The coaches at sky can see his training data...?
    Sure, but would you want to risk writing him off? If they let him go and he comes back to win or at least do better than them, they'll be the laughing stock of the sport. Like Leeds selling Cantona to Man Utd. He only takes up one spot in the team. Best have him on your side.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    Wow, this would be big news, and probably good for the sport in reality.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I suppose if he doesn't seem 100% committed they may think he's better off outside than in? From his pov he's probably saying they believe in me more than you.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    If he does leave mid season it means that ineos think he's no threat of that they want to save money.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he left ready for next season. Seems unlikely this season though. Mind it would make the tour interesting in August if he did leave mid season 😂