Froome thinking about leaving Ineos

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,559
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

I still can't see him moving mid season. Why would Ineos allow it unless there's a breach of contract (e.g. non Tour selection)?

The coaches at sky can see his training data...?
    Sure, but would you want to risk writing him off? If they let him go and he comes back to win or at least do better than them, they'll be the laughing stock of the sport. Like Leeds selling Cantona to Man Utd. He only takes up one spot in the team. Best have him on your side.
    Alternatively the downsides of having him on the team - disrupting things - outweighs keeping him on.

Plus it might save Ineos some cash which they can use to buy a few more younger strong riders...

There is a point where the chances of winning a couple more GTs with one rider are outweighed by the potential to win multiple GTs with a new generation. Having the old guy around isn't going to really help the latter unless he goes into Basso support mode, of which I have seen zero indications!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    They also might just not want to pay him that much compared to others, given all the downside variables.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    edited June 2020
    "After careful consideration, GreenEDGE Cycling has today advised Mr. Francisco Huertas, owner of Manuela Fundación, that it will not proceed with the Head of Terms established on June 5, 2020.

“We felt a strong initial connection with Mr Francisco Huertas, the Manuela Fundación and their noble aims,” team founder and principal Gerry Ryan explained.

“However, as the negotiations have evolved after the initial announcement on Friday, we have concluded that the relationship will not proceed. We wish Mr. Francisco Huertas and the Manuela Fundación all of the best for the future."

Moving forward, the GreenEDGE Cycling men’s and women’s teams will return to racing next month under the existing Mitchelton-SCOTT banner, with a fully supported financial and technical structure provided by Ryan.

“The COVID-19 global crisis has thrown up many new challenges, but our primary focus remains on our world-class athletes and support staff,” Mr Ryan assured.

“This will include a return to full wages for all riders and staff once WorldTour racing commences in August, and a commitment to the year 2021 as we search for a suitable sponsorship.

“We believe in this team, and the people and culture that have made it so successful these past eight years. Our riders have been inspiring in their commitment and motivation in what has been an uncertain season, and our staff loyal and determined to provide the best service possible in what will be a busy and challenging end to the year. We can’t wait to get back on the road and start winning more races.”

Wonder what that means for the Yates brothers.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Errr, I think that might just be in the wrong thread......
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    edited June 2020
    dish_dash said:

Alternatively the downsides of having him on the team - disrupting things - outweighs keeping him on.

Plus it might save Ineos some cash which they can use to buy a few more younger strong riders...

There is a point where the chances of winning a couple more GTs with one rider are outweighed by the potential to win multiple GTs with a new generation. Having the old guy around isn't going to really help the latter unless he goes into Basso support mode, of which I have seen zero indications!

If at the end of the season they let him go, then OK. But mid-term. When no-one really knows what everyone's race form is. With a potential of a great comeback story to get a fifth Tour. It's a lot to give up for just five months wages.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583

Errr, I think that might just be in the wrong thread......

The Yates' were mentioned on page 3 :-)
    And I didn't obviously see a Mitchelton Scott thread.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • robnewcastle
    robnewcastle Posts: 241
    I know it’s all guess work I know but is anyone taking a guess on where Froome is likely to be at conditioning wise now and with the extra couple months to train before the race what kind of shape/form he can get himself into?

Still think Bernal is the one looking at stages 15-18 but it’s all an unknown isn’t it might hopefully adds something to the race.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

I suppose if he doesn't seem 100% committed they may think he's better off outside than in? From his pov he's probably saying they believe in me more than you.

Nah, I think this shows Froome is 100% committed to winning #5 - Ineos isn't talking about dropping him, he's talking about leaving, he'd only be doing that if he thought he wasn't going to get the backing where he is.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Whether he could pull it off or not is a different question obviously.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    I just want to see him win it regardless of which team.... but ideally not with Ineos.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • RichN95.
    dabber said:

I just want to see him win it regardless of which team.... but ideally not with Ineos.

The best story is he wins it with another team. It would be one of the greatest stories in modern sport.
  • blazing_saddles
    More rumors have Laurens De Plus moving to Ineos as Sam Oomen is to join TJV.
    Meanwhile, some whispers have Gorka and Ion Izaguirre + Nieve also heading to Israel.....
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2020

More rumors have Laurens De Plus moving to Ineos as Sam Oomen is to join TJV.
    Meanwhile, some whispers have Gorka and Ion Izaguirre + Nieve also heading to Israel.....

Van Avermaet and Stuyen as well (to Israel)
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,645
    I like how Isreal have quietly grown in Pro Conti level, so as to not be dismissed as Flash Harrys. Then they've bought into Katusha's expiring licence and now are spending their cash like Flash Harrys. It's well thought through
  • RichN95.

I like how Isreal have quietly grown in Pro Conti level, so as to not be dismissed as Flash Harrys. Then they've bought into Katusha's expiring licence and now are spending their cash like Flash Harrys. It's well thought through

It’s similar to BMC a little over a decade ago. They’re now on to the sign Cadel Evans stage
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,645
    True. Brent Bookwalter = Krists Nielands
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,742

I suppose if he doesn't seem 100% committed they may think he's better off outside than in? From his pov he's probably saying they believe in me more than you.

Nah, I think this shows Froome is 100% committed to winning #5 - Ineos isn't talking about dropping him, he's talking about leaving, he'd only be doing that if he thought he wasn't going to get the backing where he is.
    Ah yes I meant 100% committed to Ineos' plans which may mean joint leadership leaving some possibility that Bernal or even Thomas is allowed to have a shot at winning when Froome isn't completely out of contention.

Ineos may calculate that they are better to have one clear leader (Bernal) and a back up in case of misfortune (Thomas) rather than risk having Bernal and Froome at each other's throats which might then lead Thomas to think he's not going to follow a team plan which might mean sacrificing his chances if the other two wont.

Or it may just become personal and Brailsford may think Froome is an ungrateful egotist and he'll show him that Sky played a big part in his wins so far.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • RichN95.

Or it may just become personal and Brailsford may think Froome is an ungrateful egotist and he'll show him that Sky played a big part in his wins so far.

And vice versa
  • rick_chasey
    Is it the israeli state that sponsors the team?
  • RichN95.
    edited June 2020

Is it the israeli state that sponsors the team?

No, it's a Canadian-Israeli property tycoon called Sylvan Adams (Iberville Developments). He was also the guy who took the Giro to Israel. Originally Canadian, he moved to Israel about five years ago. It's another billionaire hobby team.
  • rick_chasey
    Gotcha.
  • robnewcastle
    I could understand a move for next season if climbing reinforcements and other improvements were brought in but if he moved before the tour how much realistic support would he have team wise? I haven’t really properly look at the Israel start up squad
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Really cannot see him leaving mid season. Why would they let a proven winner become competition in the tour?? Only reason would be that they are not impressed with his training numbers/ fitness and feel they have better options and don't see him being a threat if riding for another team. Everything coming out about his fitness suggests he's recovered and on schedule though, so I think Ineos and DB will see the team as being stronger with Froomey than without him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he signed a pre contract with another team for next season though as I think if he were to stay at Ineos a deal would have been done by now.
  • RichN95.

I could understand a move for next season if climbing reinforcements and other improvements were brought in but if he moved before the tour how much realistic support would he have team wise? I haven’t really properly look at the Israel start up squad

From the climbing point of view - Dan Martin, Navarro, Hermanns. Nothing great but you'd expect him to piggy back off other teams. On the flat - Politt, Dowsett, Greipel
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,769
    All positive from my perspective.
    Either a repeat of '86 or a straight head to head, plus others. Excellent!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    Are they just going all in on Bernal with Thomas as back-up. It removes an expensive Movistar style 3 leader issue
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Bernal has said he wants to do the giro next year. That leaves 2021 as they perfect opportunity for Froome to lead the tour team again.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    gsk82 said:

Bernal has said he wants to do the giro next year. That leaves 2021 as they perfect opportunity for Froome to lead the tour team again.

Is Geraint retiring and I've missed it?
  • robnewcastle

gsk82 said:

Is Geraint retiring and I've missed it?
    I thought I remember Thomas saying he fancied the Giro and possibly Vuelta next year before returning to focus on the classics in his latter stages
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,341
    I'd expect Froome to ride this season with Ineos and then move to Israel Startup Nation for next season on a 3 year contract.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023