The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,638
    pblakeney said:

For 4 months?
    The future is no longer orange, it is bleak.

Yes. I guess this is the denial stage. We've had "it's just flu" and now we have "the government should do something, I can't live like that"
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    On this self isolation for the elderly thing. What about those oldies who have carers visiting? Example: my m-i-l is knocking on, still lives at home, has carers visit 2 or more times per day, varies on how she is feeling.

These carers go from home to home to home. Full disinfection pre every visit, when you are on tight timelines to meet your quota?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,582
    My sister and her two kids live with my parents who are in their 70s so that's not going to work. Also, my mum has never accepted being told what to do. The best way to get her to stay indoors would be to tell her she has to go out to large social gatherings.

I was trying to think when I could last remember her spending a day in bed ill and concluded that other than being in hospital after having my sisters and following hip replacement surgery I can't recall it ever happening.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    The pubs in Ireland are closing.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,791

The ultimate message of seriousness. 😱
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Pross said:

I've actually seen a friend share a post on Facebook comparing countries most affected by Coronavirus with those which are rolling out 5G. I mean, I know she's nuts (big into holistic medicine, hates big pharma, thinks cancer should be treated with natural remedies, anti-vaccination etc.) but how even so how can anyone be seriously linking a virus with 5G?

Do you really think that is madder than Goo thinking the Chinese Govt launched Coronavirus to distract from demonstrators in HK

5G = Huawei = Chinese Govt = Coronavirus
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

The ultimate message of seriousness. 😱
    Especially as they're days away from Paddy's Day!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    orraloon said:

On this self isolation for the elderly thing. What about those oldies who have carers visiting? Example: my m-i-l is knocking on, still lives at home, has carers visit 2 or more times per day, varies on how she is feeling.

These carers go from home to home to home. Full disinfection pre every visit, when you are on tight timelines to meet your quota?

I dont know,but it must be similar situation for hospital or care home staff though, they cant stop carer visits though as thats as sure a way to finish off people like my parents regardless of them catching this virus anyway, as theyd no longer be able to cope without carer visits anymore.

though it means I have to self isolate from them anyway, but its not just them at risk, its all the people in the same situation the carers have to look after as well that I have to think about
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457

Pross said:

I've actually seen a friend share a post on Facebook comparing countries most affected by Coronavirus with those which are rolling out 5G. I mean, I know she's nuts (big into holistic medicine, hates big pharma, thinks cancer should be treated with natural remedies, anti-vaccination etc.) but how even so how can anyone be seriously linking a virus with 5G?

Do you really think that is madder than Goo thinking the Chinese Govt launched Coronavirus to distract from demonstrators in HK

Yes, everyone knows that 5G gives you cancer not the flu.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,638
    Hancock said this morning that they hope to use hotel beds and could use mitlitary field hospitals, but the bigger challenge is staffing and equipment. Any company that can should start making ventilators, he said.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

Hancock said this morning that they hope to use hotel beds and could use mitlitary field hospitals, but the bigger challenge is staffing and equipment. Any company that can should start making ventilators, he said.

Commandeer all the private hospitals. That would help.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261

Commandeer all the private hospitals. That would help.
    That will happen... at a price. This government isn't going to short change the private health providers.
  • Pross
    awavey said:

orraloon said:

I dont know,but it must be similar situation for hospital or care home staff though, they cant stop carer visits though as thats as sure a way to finish off people like my parents regardless of them catching this virus anyway, as theyd no longer be able to cope without carer visits anymore.

though it means I have to self isolate from them anyway, but its not just them at risk, its all the people in the same situation the carers have to look after as well that I have to think about
    Wife manages a few small assisted living houses and is worrying how she's going to staff them. Most of the staff suffer from Valleyitis at the best of times (especially on or immediately after sunny Bank Holiday weekends) and 3 have already decided to self-isolate as they have cold symptoms which, as far as I'm aware, are very different from Covid symptoms. The emergency plans they've drawn up for approval by social services include an acceptance that they might have to operate below the regulatory number of staff to service users.
  • Pross

Pross said:

I actually think Goo's theory was far more believable. I mean, if you're into conspiracies they creating a diversion so that you can continue human right abuses without media attention makes sense. Even wearing my tinfoil hat I'm struggling to understand the case for 5g signals causing a virus.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    Add in the LED street lamps that are spying on us and woah, mega-conspiracy.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,529
    This is just a bloody dreadful situation to be in for people with elderly relatives and I know quite a few on here are in that position. The only possible positive spin you can put on it is that around 92% of those in their 70's and 85% of those in their 80's survive this virus.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    edited March 2020
    orraloon said:

My wife is a community nurse. Current practice to just get on with it and maintain hygiene. No extra measures or allowances have been made.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    edited March 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

This is just a bloody dreadful situation to be in for people with elderly relatives and I know quite a few on here are in that position. The only possible positive spin you can put on it is that around 92% of those in their 70's and 85% of those in their 80's survive this virus.

A weird situation for the so called elderly as well. I'm 72, ride around 100 miles a week... road,off-road and turbo. No underlying illness. Probably massively fitter than the majority of those in the their mid-50's (or younger).
    My wife is 70, again very fit, pilates, body balance etc 3 times a week, both walk regularly as well. No underlying illness.
    What are we supposed to do? Vegetate in the house for 4 months, lose our fitness both physically and mentally?
    The "70" threshold is purely an artificial number.

“You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    dabber said:

Stevo_666 said:

A weird situation for the so called elderly as well. I'm 72, ride around 100 miles a week... road,off-road and turbo. No underlying illness. Probably massively fitter than the majority of those in the their mid-50's (or younger).
    My wife is 70, again very fit, pilates, body balance etc 3 times a week, both walk regularly as well. No underlying illness.
    What are we supposed to do? Vegetate in the house for 4 months, lose our fitness both physically and mentally?

My mother turned 70 in January, fit as a fiddle, she’s not in the slightest bit worried, but as you say what should she do?
  • pblakeney

My mother turned 70 in January, fit as a fiddle, she’s not in the slightest bit worried, but as you say what should she do?

My daughter in law (who is also a community nurse) was just commenting on that today. The oldies haven't a care in the world. The younger ones a panicking. 🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687
    dabber said:

Stevo_666 said:

To a certain extent yes. But the statistics that there are (which admittedly are incomplete) do show a sharp uptick in mortality rates above that age. I read that in Italy only two of the fatalities have not had underlying health problems
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    368 deaths today alone in Italy. This really is turning into a disaster of the most shocking proportions.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    pblakeney said:

My wife is a community nurse. Current practice to just get on with it and maintain hygiene. No extra measures or allowances have been made.

Quite. They work to protect people with health issues from further infection as a given (Or should) Carry on matron (and doctor, nurse, care assistant).
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368

dabber said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'd argue in both those cases,at that age you are old enough & wise enough to make your own decisions & choices on that.

Its advice for the majority, not a hard & set rule, but be mindful of the dangers or risks as much to others than yourself
  • dabber
    awavey said:

dabber said:

Stevo_666 said:

I'd argue in both those cases,at that age you are old enough & wise enough to make your own decisions & choices on that.

Its advice for the majority, not a hard & set rule, but be mindful of the dangers or risks as much to others than yourself
    Agreed. I just hope some draconian attempt of control to force the issue isn't implemented.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want to court problems but there's no way I'm sitting home in front of the tv.

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    dabber said:

awavey said:

dabber said:

Stevo_666 said:

Agreed. I just hope some draconian attempt of control to force the issue isn't implemented.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want to court problems but there's no way I'm sitting home in front of the tv.
    So, you'd rather sit in hospital in front of the TV instead? ;)
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Part of the stats informing Govt policy is an estimate of how likely people are to do what they're told.

As numbers rise, people will be more worried and more likely to follow advice, especially when Covid 19 starts to hit people we know personally.
  • dabber
    edited March 2020
    mrfpb said:

Part of the stats informing Govt policy is an estimate of how likely people are to do what they're told.

As numbers rise, people will be more worried and more likely to follow advice, especially when Covid 19 starts to hit people we know personally.

However, as you get older you get used to seeing people you know and perhaps have known for years gradually dying off. It's always hard and depressing.

• wiznaeme
    wiznaeme Posts: 238
    An attempt to quarantine an age group such as over 70’s will amount to no more than well intentioned advice. No one will be approaching the elderly in the street asking what age they are and sending them home and the police will arrest no one.
  • pblakeney
    dabber said:

awavey said:

dabber said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well, the Spanish police are using drones to check for movement during their lockdown. Who knows where this is going for us?
    Veronese68 wrote: