The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    You have to be quite knee deep in conspiratorial thinking to be climate change denier.
  • You have to be quite knee deep in conspiratorial thinking to be climate change denier.

The trick is to keep just the right side of the line between "it's not real" and "it's maybe not going to have the impact threatened". Either way you get to complain about being told what you should do, but one is acceptable. It's the same media engagement strategy as a year ago when she was saying that covid didn't look like it was going to kill anyone over the winter.
  • rick_chasey

You have to be quite knee deep in conspiratorial thinking to be climate change denier.

The trick is to keep just the right side of the line between "it's not real" and "it's maybe not going to have the impact threatened". Either way you get to complain about being told what you should do, but one is acceptable. It's the same media engagement strategy as a year ago when she was saying that covid didn't look like it was going to kill anyone over the winter.
    Yes, there's a lot of "the debate has taken leave of reality" nonsense, as if the existence of climate change as people commonly understand it is up for debate.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622

I used to work with one. To be fair, there was a lot of nonsense published supporting climate change which gave deniers plenty of material to work with.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,668
    edited November 2021

I used to work with one. To be fair, there was a lot of nonsense published supporting climate change which gave deniers plenty of material to work with.
    Agreed. Greenpeace are currently campaigning against plastic wrapping of food. Wrapping which dramatically reduces food waste, and is a major source of emissions. Someone pointed out the simplistic nature of this campaign and was met with 'oh, so you want to suffocate dolphins, do you?' and 'why can't we reduce food waste by all food being sourced locally? Then we wouldn't need to extend its shelf life.'
    If even Greenpeace are getting sidetracked with misleading and trivial stuff like shrink wrapping broccoli then it's no wonder some dismiss the overall movement.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey

I don’t understand what deniers think the motive is to push the climate change agenda
  • rjsterry

I don’t understand what deniers think the motive is to push the climate change agenda
    It will cost them. They want to avoid that. Also conspiracy theories are seductive in themselves. There's a little thrill in thinking you know something that 'they' don't want you to know.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean

For some it is stopping them driving cars, using cheap energy etc.

My colleague was a bright guy who had done a lot of research. He just felt it was factually incorrect political lobbying. This was a number of years ago.

• rick_chasey

My colleague was a bright guy who had done a lot of research. He just felt it was factually incorrect political lobbying. This was a number of years ago.

But why would anyone want to stop you having cheap energy? for example.

I don't get why anyone would want to impose restrictions just for the fun of it.
  • You have to be quite knee deep in conspiratorial thinking to be climate change denier.

The question was the reverse - what do deniers think the climate change believers are gaining from it?
  • TheBigBean

I don't get why anyone would want to impose restrictions just for the fun of it.
    The denier is not necessarily questioning the motives of the believer, but thinks they are wrong, and has no interest in suffering the consequences of the misplaced beliefs. So, in your example, they don't think someone is deliberating trying to make them pay more for something, they think they are mistakenly trying to do so.

• rick_chasey

The denier is not necessarily questioning the motives of the believer, but thinks they are wrong, and has no interest in suffering the consequences of the misplaced beliefs. So, in your example, they don't think someone is deliberating trying to make them pay more for something, they think they are mistakenly trying to do so.

I sort of feel they don't really understand risk if that's the logic.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

The main trick is to to argue it is happening but is a natural process and not man-made so trying to stop it happening is pointless.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Munsford0 said:

I work in a secondary school. First day back yesterday, all year 7-11 groups were meant to be jabbed. Depressing to see that only a third of kids were leaving class for vaccinations. Many of the remainder said they weren't getting jabbed and neither were their parents, and trotting out all manner of scare stories / conspiracy theories. I'm worried if the virus carries on infecting / reinfecting these uninoculated groups that we'll eventually end up with a variant that's less well controlled by current vaccines and we'll be starting all over again.

The school clearly had a lot of unused vaccine because later in the day they were offering jabs to staff eligible for a first / second / booster. Annoyingly just a bit too soon for my booster :(

That’s interesting. My kids’ school is due to jab the 7-11 year groups at the end of next week and already about 25% of the children have been vaccinated during half term (including both my sons). More of their friends are booking their jabs for later this week or at the weekend and not waiting for the school jabbing event. Neither of my sons are aware of anyone in their classes that aren’t going to take the jab.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,914

Munsford0 said:

I work in a secondary school. First day back yesterday, all year 7-11 groups were meant to be jabbed. Depressing to see that only a third of kids were leaving class for vaccinations. Many of the remainder said they weren't getting jabbed and neither were their parents, and trotting out all manner of scare stories / conspiracy theories. I'm worried if the virus carries on infecting / reinfecting these uninoculated groups that we'll eventually end up with a variant that's less well controlled by current vaccines and we'll be starting all over again.

The school clearly had a lot of unused vaccine because later in the day they were offering jabs to staff eligible for a first / second / booster. Annoyingly just a bit too soon for my booster :(

That’s interesting. My kids’ school is due to jab the 7-11 year groups at the end of next week and already about 25% of the children have been vaccinated during half term (including both my sons). More of their friends are booking their jabs for later this week or at the weekend and not waiting for the school jabbing event. Neither of my sons are aware of anyone in their classes that aren’t going to take the jab.

I suspect that there are several factors at play, including the messaging going out from the head/SMT (on the general science, and the school's seriousness about control), and the social profile of the school. If the US is anything to go by, there will be more scepticism from, shall we say, certain demographics.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Munsford0 said:

This kind of thing is going to be regional. I'll leave the lines here for everyone to read between.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rjsterry
    Ben6899 said:

Munsford0 said:

This kind of thing is going to be regional. I'll leave the lines here for everyone to read between.
    Similar low take up in my bit of South London.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited November 2021
    I see the fraternal conviviality has led to an outbreak at Westminster with MPs told to wear masks and staff told to WFH. Who'd have guessed such a thing would happen?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    Floundering. Didn't even try jokes about farting cows, or a pointless Latin phrase. This is our Prime Minister, apparently.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Yebbut. 80 seat majority innit. No doubt he ran off to his big red bus asap. Oh wait, make that private jet to exit COP26.
  • rick_chasey
    He’s a total useless pr!ck and up there with the worst leaders the Uk has ever had, including the inbred lot, but you can’t be seriously criticising the PM for using a private jet
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I'd be interested to know why Boris wasn't wearing a mask when someone must have suggested sitting next to DavidA without one might attract comment.

Even if Boris doesn't care if Attenborough lives or dies or doesn't believe he himself is a risk (presumably he gets regular tests) you'd think he would avoid the negative publicity. Unless he thinks not wearing a mask plays well with more people than who object to it.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • briantrumpet

I'd be interested to know why Boris wasn't wearing a mask when someone must have suggested sitting next to DavidA without one might attract comment.

Even if Boris doesn't care if Attenborough lives or dies or doesn't believe he himself is a risk (presumably he gets regular tests) you'd think he would avoid the negative publicity. Unless he thinks not wearing a mask plays well with more people than who object to it.

Johnson, 'think'? That implies he has rational judgement and plans stuff. He just reacts to whatever situation he's blundered into.
  • I assume from this answer that it wasn't indoors and he was a long distance in the hall from the person sat next to him, and he spends most days with David Attenborough.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

I assume from this answer that it wasn't indoors and he was a long distance in the hall from the person sat next to him, and he spends most days with David Attenborough.

Surely the day is coming when everyone will ignore what he says as he simply waffles nonsense. I get concerned when my Dad waffles and he has zero responsibility.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Should have just said he finds it difficult to get off to sleep properly while wearing a face covering.
  • rjsterry
    The flat out disputing of reality on our sky high infections was probably more of an issue than not wearing a mask when he should have done.

Also Farrar has quit SAGE, which suggests they are being ignored.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744

Johnson, 'think'? That implies he has rational judgement and plans stuff. He just reacts to whatever situation he's blundered into.
    Johnson ignores his advisors and effortlessly captures the zeitgeist without thinking ?

That's the public persona but it'd be interesting to know if that's the reality. At some point at the very least someone must have sat down and said it shouldn't work but it seems to so keep doing it. Wearing a mask sat next to David Attenborough can't be an oversight.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • briantrumpet

Johnson ignores his advisors and effortlessly captures the zeitgeist without thinking ?

He's honed this lazy, buffoonish, careless character over many years, with a few learned-sounding quotations to make himself (and persuade himself) he's clever, and he's just lazily acting it out now. The details don't matter. That he happens to be a good fit for these fractured times, and was a useful vehicle to get a hard Brexit past the electorate and parliament is just our bad luck.