The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794
    There is a reason for being called "mouth breather" is an insult.
    Breathing through your nose is not a new idea.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2021
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    pblakeney said:

There is a reason for being called "mouth breather" is an insult.

It's good that they developed the technique of wearing the mask below the nose to save everyone else the trouble of working out who they are.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,687
    edited October 2021
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Rates are going to be high for a while as life has to go on. I was at an engineering meeting and rig hall visit last week and one of the guys tested positive a couple of days later but most likely got this from his personal life prior. The point really is everyone there was vaccinated and we moved the job forward much better than teams. Schools are now a do what you like environment particularly in primary schools so it was always going to go mental. When we are looking at tens of deaths a day is this mainly the vulnerable and unvaccinated?

It's over 100 a day currently.

I've now been contacted about 3 seperate events on Friday, Saturday and Sunday saying there was a positive case there. Lat flow negative so far though.
    Is 100 a day bad though. If it is mainly the unvaccinated and infirm then is this much worse that the 500k that die a year as a base number.
    Yes, John. People dying of a preventable disease at an increasing rate is bad. Feels like I'm stating the obvious there.
    Is it really a preventable disease though. How would your life look like if you tried to prevent getting covid with a high degree of confidence. Seems lonely to me and a bit different to most other preventable diseases.

Well I've managed it so far and I've been in the office most days for a while now. It's the dying, I'm talking about, rather than merely catching it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    Tell me this isn't true... even though it's in The Telegraph... are they turning all leftiebollox, or something?

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Rates are going to be high for a while as life has to go on. I was at an engineering meeting and rig hall visit last week and one of the guys tested positive a couple of days later but most likely got this from his personal life prior. The point really is everyone there was vaccinated and we moved the job forward much better than teams. Schools are now a do what you like environment particularly in primary schools so it was always going to go mental. When we are looking at tens of deaths a day is this mainly the vulnerable and unvaccinated?

I've now been contacted about 3 seperate events on Friday, Saturday and Sunday saying there was a positive case there. Lat flow negative so far though.
    Is 100 a day bad though. If it is mainly the unvaccinated and infirm then is this much worse that the 500k that die a year as a base number.
    Yes, John. People dying of a preventable disease at an increasing rate is bad. Feels like I'm stating the obvious there.
    Is it really a preventable disease though. How would your life look like if you tried to prevent getting covid with a high degree of confidence. Seems lonely to me and a bit different to most other preventable diseases.

Well I've managed it so far and I've been in the office most days for a while now. It's the dying, I'm talking about, rather than merely catching it.
    Other than getting the vaccine and not being overweight what other factors can you control to not die from covid. I have not had covid either but would not claim that wearing a mask, washing my hands and hanging out in an office would mean I would never catch covid.
  • rjsterry
    john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

rjsterry said:

john80 said:

pangolin said:

john80 said:

Other than getting the vaccine and not being overweight what other factors can you control to not die from covid. I have not had covid either but would not claim that wearing a mask, washing my hands and hanging out in an office would mean I would never catch covid.
    There are still something like 1 in 5 of the eligible population not fully vaccinated and we are about to start on boosters, so that's quite a big part of it. As per the post above, we've taken our foot off the pedal on that. I also think there is scope for better mitigation, without unduly restricting everybody going about their business. The data suggests that the main culprit is large events in enclosed spaces. As last winter, we can either do something now or wait until things get really bad then shut down everything.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    My money would be on us not going back into significant restrictions/lock down.

It'd be a hard sell politically - the vaccine was supposed to be the way out.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    The hard sell worked.
    Some people think that as we've had the vaccine then it is finished.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732
    They need to roll out the boosters asap. It is getting out of control again.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    pblakeney said:

The hard sell worked.

I’m one of those but it was never sold to me.
    It can’t be anything other than finished. Just crack on with the boosters.
    50000 cases a day is still 4 years to get through everyone so talks of restrictions with no other plan is nonsense.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Is it actually confirmed that waning immunity is the issue rather than the vaccines not actually working as well as was hoped?

What is the official line for how long people should wait between second jab and booster ?
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021

Is it actually confirmed that waning immunity is the issue rather than the vaccines not actually working as well as was hoped?

So the only precedent is Israel, which suffered a similar post-vaccination spike in June and they rolled out a booster jab very quickly and it culled the hospitalisations.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    Had the booster + flu alert some time ago, still waiting for the appointment. Though pal who's 3 years older got his last weekend. C'mon, c'mon, c'mon.
  • rjsterry
    It's wrestling with a gorilla: it's over when the gorilla's had enough, not when we have. Vaccination appears to give ~6-9 months protection before it starts dropping off and we have taken 10 months and counting to get the first round of vaccination completed.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    You do wonder if some hubris has crept in with the "we started vaccinating first" discourse, and they have maybe not had the fear driving them to keep up the vaccination rates.

Britain has had a consistently higher death-rate per capita than most of Western Europe for quite a few months now.
  • Is it actually confirmed that waning immunity is the issue rather than the vaccines not actually working as well as was hoped?

So the only precedent is Israel, which suffered a similar post-vaccination spike in June and they rolled out a booster jab very quickly and it culled the hospitalisations.
    Culled...interesting turn of phrase
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583

They are aren't they? My wife had hers weeks ago.
  • pblakeney
    mully79 said:

pblakeney said:

The hard sell worked.

I’m one of those but it was never sold to me.
    It can’t be anything other than finished. Just crack on with the boosters.
    50000 cases a day is still 4 years to get through everyone so talks of restrictions with no other plan is nonsense.
    ????
    As posted above, the fight is over when the gorilla gives up, not when we want it to.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

They are aren't they? My wife had hers weeks ago.
    It is sloooooow.
  • pblakeney
    edited October 2021
    Restrictions are heading our way. Whether we like it or not...

"If these measures are not enough to prevent "unsustainable pressure" on the NHS, then steps like making face coverings mandatory in some settings, asking people to work from home and introducing vaccine passports could be considered as part of Plan B."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58976577
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

Restrictions are heading our way. Whether we like it or not...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58976577

I guess with the restrictions it was a 'jam today' approach.

Ugh, total pain in the arse.

What I am finding quite stressful at the moment is I keep having 'must attend' events, (i.e. funerals for family members) whilst returning to normal life/office etc, and I am running a real risk of not being able to go because i'll catch rona off some mug.

I don't think anyone minds you turning up to your close family member's funeral with a cold, but with covid suddenly your entire household can't go.
  • Then don't go to the work events?

I don't understand how you are so cocksure with strangers but so spineless with your employer
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021

Then don't go to the work events?

I don't understand how you are so cocksure with strangers but so spineless with your employer

Because strangers don't decide how much I get paid? My pay literally comes out of theirs.

Until I can get my own thing going, I get paid to make their life easier, so you are entirely at the mercy of your boss. A peculiarity of the industry.

Plus, meeting people is a big part of the job, ultimately.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
    This forum seems to have gone from the outrage of booster jabs when many in the world haven't had their first to the idiocy of the government for not having done it several months ago.
  • rick_chasey

This forum seems to have gone from the outrage of booster jabs when many in the world haven't had their first to the idiocy of the government for not having done it several months ago.

Probably fair.

The nuance counter would be that - had they given them out then fair enough, but since they hadn't, what's the excuse for not doing it sooner?
  • rjsterry

I missed the outrage, but we are now neither issuing boosters fast enough, nor sharing enough doses with the rest of the world.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DeVlaeminck
    I'm visiting my mum later I must ask her if she's had a booster - I must admit I hadn't realised they were even at the stage of rolling them out yet.

As far as restrictions go I do think their toolbox is obviously far more limited than previously - we can't go back to closing businesses, preventing people travelling to the next town etc - where we were this time last year.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,922
    I thought it was more that we were vaccinating the very low risk rather than sending jabs to high risk groups in other countries.

I hadn't seen anyone arguing against boosters for the frail.

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
    edited October 2021
    rjsterry said:

I missed the outrage, but we are now neither issuing boosters fast enough, nor sharing enough doses with the rest of the world.
    The UK sent 4m to Australia and 1m to Korea under swap deals.

At least 2m booster jabs have been given including one to my young colleague. They are being given at least 6 months after the second jab, so as he had his second jab very early he got his booster very early.