The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,532

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Sounds like there might be a plan that people get boosters at 6 months!

Hmm, England had done 27 million first doses by 20th April.
    It's from the second dose.
    Ah of course!

9 million by 20th April in that case.
    Presumably not all the 9 million are eligible this time around e.g. all young health workers. Just guessing though.
    I think all the care workers in my wife's company have been given the choice. Wife is still under 50.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,901
    edited October 2021

It is just the same cycle repeated. I don't mind people making mistakes if they then learn from them.

Exactly so. I managed about five minutes of the press conference, which just boiled down to "We hope this time's going to be different" (or "We've not learnt from our repeated mistakes")

I'd not have been surprised if Johnson had popped in at the end to remind us to keep washing our hands.

I'm going to stick my neck out and make the prediction that either just at the end of the half term break, or a week after schools have gone back (the latter more likely), various mitigation measures will have to be brought in. Christmas could be carnage at this rate, as there will have been a few weeks 'baked in' of classrooms with closed doors and windows ("Ooh, it's a bit cold!!"), and whole families having to isolate.

On the plus side, no-one will want a big turkey, if large gatherings are banned. Perhaps festive roasted pigeons will be all the rage. British Pigeons for a British Covid Christmas. Yay.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,612
    It's all largely consistent with the original plan published in July. Here's a graph of swine flu spread. Not sure the covid trough was as low though.

• Ncovidius
    Ncovidius Posts: 229
    edited October 2021
    I’m going to hazard a guess that the S.A.G.E. lot are going to manage to get the government to put us all back into lockdown, before Christmas. There’s a horrible feeling of Deja Vu about all of this, and I did say I thought we would be back in lockdown before the year was out.
  • Ncovidius

It is just the same cycle repeated. I don't mind people making mistakes if they then learn from them.

The vaccines over promised and ( it certainly seems ) under delivered. All the plans the government formulated, we’re based on the vaccines actually working properly. They still haven’t been put to the acid test yet, but early data, from the earliest bit of the extreme test period ( where we are now ) doesn’t fill me with confidence.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,679
    I think the gov't tolerance for deaths in return for keeping Christmas open is a lot higher than a lot of you are suggesting.
  • briantrumpet

I think the gov't tolerance for deaths in return for keeping Christmas open is a lot higher than a lot of you are suggesting.

Well, it's certainly going to be 'interesting' to what degree the link between infections and hospitalisations and deaths has been weakened, given that in the first wave infections were relatively under control (thanks to the eventual lockdown), whereas now it has all the feeling that the government is only playing lip-service to control, whilst overseeing pretty much uncontrolled spread in schools. I'm still not sure to what degree this allowing to spread is deliberate.
  • This struck me from the speech today: "Deaths remain mercifully low, but they are still sadly over 100 a day."
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,681
    There is no way the Tory cartel running our GINO are going to reimpose the societal lock downs of last year. Yes masks, yes space, yes more 3 word BS phrasing, but their own party won't back closing down the economy again, just because a load of schoolkids test positive.
  • Ncovidius
    What the scientists and government have done, is taken a development formula 1 car, driven it down to the local Tesco, and declared that it’s a title contender ( metaphorically speaking ). The vaccine roll out happened, just as we were going into a historic ‘lull period’ there’s a double kick in the nuts waiting in the wings. The effectiveness of the vaccines that were administered ‘early doors’ is starting to wane, and we are all starting to head back in doors more, and close windows. Data showed that the average person was meeting with 4 other people, through most of this year, it’s normally closer to 10 other people. Most contact was outdoors, and / or with social ‘bubbles’. That’s not any sort of meaningful ‘vaccine stress test’. The weather has been unseasonably good, in the early part of October. It’s not set to continue, so the real test is about to start. Fortunately, there’s a school half term coming up next week. That will afford a couple of weeks ‘wiggle room’. If we continue to get away with ( relatively) low death numbers, after the ‘grace period’ we’re about to get, is over, then the vaccines can be hailed a true success. If we get another exponential spike, a lot of people are going to be made to look like monkeys. We shall see ( by the beginning of November by my reckoning). I hope they are proven right, as if they’re wrong, things are going to get messy ( again).
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    In my case work is normal. Zero family members have had it. 1 friend. No colleagues since the 2nd lockdown. Various “school scares but they don’t tell you the facts so a positive could be some kids mum or dad wanting 10 days off work.
    Most cases I heard about locally was it rifling through my Nans care home (twice) but she didn’t get it either time.

Makes me concerned the death stats are yet again a lack of control in areas where it’s badly needed (hospitals/care homes) and the general working population isn’t as affected as the stats suggest.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

I think you will find it is the public that has the appetite and the government are more switched in to this than you.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    You all seem really down on the vaccine, and to be honest, I'm not really sure why.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,532

You all seem really down on the vaccine, and to be honest, I'm not really sure why.

Agreed, numbers are on the rise but I think people have forgotten what it was like pre-vaccine even though we had much more stringent restrictions in place. We are now back to living pretty much normally and deaths are a fraction of what they were when everything was shut.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,915
    edited October 2021

Because it's not really as effective as we'd like it to be?

I do think the scary graphs are presented without context though, we've had months of close to normality without terrifying levels of death, and all that seems to be thanks to the vaccine.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629

The vaccines are remarkable. They are just being asked to do too much, by the government.
  • You all seem really down on the vaccine, and to be honest, I'm not really sure why.

I'm happy that the vaccines have kept people I know out of hospital when they have got it quite bad recently.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768

Over extended expectation levels.
    Some think once we have the vaccine Covid is gone and can be forgotten about.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,741
    It's understandable because normally we think of vaccines protecting against infection - I know these do to an extent but the larger part of their effectiveness seems to be limiting the seriousness of infection. 6 months also seems a pretty poor outcome for that protection to last in comparison with other vaccines we are all familiar with.

I'm not knocking the vaccines it's just you can see why expectations might have been higher.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I think I heard on the news earlier that 99% of deaths are in the unvaccinated? If so surely that shows how successful the vaccine has been.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,679

I think I heard on the news earlier that 99% of deaths are in the unvaccinated? If so surely that shows how successful the vaccine has been.

That would be remarkable - is that right?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,654
    Good thread, that. I think the key point was that vaccines have reduced the approximate CFR in over 60s from 14% to 3%. Which is great - vaccines are working - but still a lot of over 60s dying if we don't try to reduce cases.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I think I heard on the news earlier that 99% of deaths are in the unvaccinated? If so surely that shows how successful the vaccine has been.

It didn't sound right to me but sure that's what was said. It was GMB though :D
  • briantrumpet
    I must admit that this thought crossed my mind too. Normalise high figures so that they just become part of news noise.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,629

I think I heard on the news earlier that 99% of deaths are in the unvaccinated? If so surely that shows how successful the vaccine has been.

Can't be.
  • I must admit that this thought crossed my mind too. Normalise high figures so that they just become part of news noise.

Definitely trying to define 50k deaths a year as low. I still don't see the massive down side of masks. If it helps keep pubs and theatres open, all upside, I'd say.
  • briantrumpet

I must admit that this thought crossed my mind too. Normalise high figures so that they just become part of news noise.

Definitely trying to define 50k deaths a year as low. I still don't see the massive down side of masks. If it helps keep pubs and theatres open, all upside, I'd say.

The other upside of masks is it reminds people that there's still a pandemic.

Ah, I see why the government doesn't like them.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,654

It didn't sound right to me but sure that's what was said. It was GMB though :D
    Stats with no context are meaningless.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition