The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

Someone asked for this

So presumably this is due to lower vaccination rates?

That was me.

The numbers are so low (relatively) that they are possibly susceptible to all sorts of statistical glitches. Also, is everyone measuring the same way?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    edited October 2021
    Here's the rolling average for the larger EU countries.

For reference here's it with the shitshow where the vaccine is truly partisan included.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Surely it was a great success. This is from the prime minister's speech : "very few countries could have pulled off the Kabul airlift – an astonishing feat by our brave armed forces"

By the way, look at this transcript. https://www.conservatives.com/news/prime-minister-boris-johnson-speech-conference-2021

WTF? I guess he's trying to claim it's the best Dunkirk or escape to La Coruna
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

Surely it was a great success. This is from the prime minister's speech : "very few countries could have pulled off the Kabul airlift – an astonishing feat by our brave armed forces"

By the way, look at this transcript. https://www.conservatives.com/news/prime-minister-boris-johnson-speech-conference-2021

WTF? I guess he's trying to claim it's the best Dunkirk or escape to La Coruna
    It's the same as with covid. Memories fade, so if said with confidence, something hopelessly mismanaged at every turn can be claimed as a success because nobody could have got through that crisis better.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    edited October 2021
    It’s roughly 800 COVID positive deaths per week in the UK.

Seems quite a lot to me.

Total numbers:
    Deaths within 28 days of positive test
    Total
    137,735Value:

Deaths with COVID-19 on the death certificate

Total
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Current stats say 38 per day = <280 per week which is not 800.
  • rick_chasey
    edited October 2021
    orraloon said:

Current stats say 38 per day = <280 per week which is not 800.</p>

Sunday remember

Last 7 days: 785
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Aye, ok. But prob fatsos or Brexsh1t voters so 👍
  • In an effort to persuade more people to get vacinated, Germany is now ending free lateral flow tests, so that it's no longer free to do the "test" part of the vaccine or test passport. Seems a bit short sighted to me when vaccinated people are testing positive.
  • rick_chasey
    I’m increasingly struggling to see the case for vaccines not being mandatory.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630

I’m increasingly struggling to see the case for vaccines not being mandatory.

There will always be people who can't take them, so there always needs to be an alternative.

Personally I think they should not be mandatory per se, but I have no issue with various public spaces and facilities (trains, planes, busses, shops, places of work) effectively mandating them.

This fubar we have now where Covid measures are mandated (masks, passports) but are/will not be policed by anyone, really pisses me off.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    Pross said:

Someone asked for this

So presumably this is due to lower vaccination rates?

That was me.

The numbers are so low (relatively) that they are possibly susceptible to all sorts of statistical glitches. Also, is everyone measuring the same way?
    I asked for current death rate info too .....

because I wondered whether the death rate reflected the current high incidence, and I feel it does. And because death rate should be the most relevant parameter in judging how well a country/government is controlling the pandemic (or indeed controlling any disease or situation where action could significantly reduce numbers).

Looking quickly at the other bar charts recently posted, it seems the death rate and the intensive care rate are similar, which also suggests things aren't under control (irrespective of whether that means ICU is basically the last stop, or whether that means some don't get as far as ICU).
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

In an effort to persuade more people to get vacinated, Germany is now ending free lateral flow tests, so that it's no longer free to do the "test" part of the vaccine or test passport. Seems a bit short sighted to me when vaccinated people are testing positive.

There are a lot of exceptions, not just those who can't be vaccinated for medical reasons, pregnant women and under-18s (pregnant women and 12-17 year-olds can have free tests till 31 Dec).

The exceptions also include people, whether they have been vaccinated or not, who have been in contact with someone found to have contracted Covid, these including members of the same household, of the same confined work/sleeping space, in the same health/educational facility, as the person found with Covid.
    Also includes people who are supposed to go into quarantine because their phone app tells them they have been in contact with a Covid-carrier (free to them at the end of their quarantine period, to verify they are clear), and people who do a self-test and it is positive (free to them as check). Again whether vaccinated or not.

It seems too many unvaccinated people were using the free tests to gain entry to restaurants, concerts, cinemas, fitness studios, hairdressers, football stadiums, etc. rather than going to get vaccinated. I wonder how prevalent this behaviour is in the UK.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,914
    jimmyjams said:

In an effort to persuade more people to get vacinated, Germany is now ending free lateral flow tests, so that it's no longer free to do the "test" part of the vaccine or test passport. Seems a bit short sighted to me when vaccinated people are testing positive.

There are a lot of exceptions, not just those who can't be vaccinated for medical reasons, pregnant women and under-18s (pregnant women and 12-17 year-olds can have free tests till 31 Dec).

The exceptions also include people, whether they have been vaccinated or not, who have been in contact with someone found to have contracted Covid, these including members of the same household, of the same confined work/sleeping space, in the same health/educational facility, as the person found with Covid.
    Also includes people who are supposed to go into quarantine because their phone app tells them they have been in contact with a Covid-carrier (free to them at the end of their quarantine period, to verify they are clear), and people who do a self-test and it is positive (free to them as check). Again whether vaccinated or not.

It seems too many unvaccinated people were using the free tests to gain entry to restaurants, concerts, cinemas, fitness studios, hairdressers, football stadiums, etc. rather than going to get vaccinated. I wonder how prevalent this behaviour is in the UK.

I see that Germany is stopping free tests "in order to drive up vaccine uptake".
  • First.Aspect

jimmyjams said:

I see that Germany is stopping free tests "in order to drive up vaccine uptake".
    It only works where there is a vaccination passport scheme in place. I think BlowJo will be under increasing pressure to do so it if works well in Wales and Scotland.
  • briantrumpet

jimmyjams said:

It only works where there is a vaccination passport scheme in place. I think BlowJo will be under increasing pressure to do so it if works well in Wales and Scotland.

Yes, I'm under no illusions about why the UK Govt wants to stop free tests. £s.
  • jimmyjams said:

Good info - thanks.

We've just got a couple of boxes of them in the drawer - I'll use one if I'm going somewhere like a concert, restaurant etc or meeting older people to make sure I'm not infected. I assume someone is getting a nice wedge from the taxpayer for all those sitting around in people's homes, but I think it's a good thing for people to be able to easily test if they have covid and help reduce the spread.

• briantrumpet
    Incidentally, the new tests I've got for school don't have any barcode, so can't be logged on the Govt website, so I assume are just for internal school safety/info.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Scientific studies have shown that breathing through your nose enables the body to help fight infection coming into the system as apposed to breathing via the mouth.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,667
    jimmyjams said:

Pregnant women are advised to get vaccinated. Was discussed on the radio this morning. There was understandable caution at first, but no significant adverse effects noted and risk from Covid appears higher in pregnancy.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

Scientific studies have shown that breathing through your nose enables the body to help fight infection coming into the system as apposed to breathing via the mouth.

Is anyone under the impression that this is new thinking?
    It is long established that is the point of nose hair.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • focuszing723

• First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

Is anyone under the impression that this is new thinking?
    It is long established that is the point of nose hair.
    There was me thinking it was decorative, like my ear hair.
  • First.Aspect

Incidentally, the new tests I've got for school don't have any barcode, so can't be logged on the Govt website, so I assume are just for internal school safety/info.

If you don't test, the nasty numbers come down. Didn't you know?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    rjsterry said:

jimmyjams said:

Pregnant women are advised to get vaccinated. Was discussed on the radio this morning. There was understandable caution at first, but no significant adverse effects noted and risk from Covid appears higher in pregnancy.
    Currently being reported that 20% of critically ill Covid patients are unvaccinated pregnant women.
  • focuszing723
    Let the Nitric Oxide produced from nasal breathing do it's job.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,667
    edited October 2021
    Interesting thread on the reliability of vaccine uptake rates.

1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Covid is mostly just click bait rather than a threat now.
    Ignore the bs stats and push on.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,928
    This morning's headlines explain Boris's dash for the sun.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    mully79 said:

Covid is mostly just click bait rather than a threat now.
    Ignore the bs stats and push on.

Not so much clickbait for the 30 or so people a day who are dying from it in the UK.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk