The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• Does anyone know whether, if BJ gets them rescinded that would remove the powers of the devolved governments as well?

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,397

Does anyone know whether, if BJ gets them rescinded that would remove the powers of the devolved governments as well?

From what I've seen and heard throughout, I don't think so
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • I thought the opposite.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,893

Does anyone know whether, if BJ gets them rescinded that would remove the powers of the devolved governments as well?

That will depend on whether the powers are devolved or not.
    You'd be better placed to know.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

That will depend on whether the powers are devolved or not.
    You'd be better placed to know.
    Nope. I need the hive mind for this one. My working assumption is that the power to exercise them and the power to decide precisely what the rules were is devolved but the basic emergency legislation isn't. Hard to tell if BlowJob is planning on rescinding the emergency legislation or not.
  • Censored is Boris, in euphemistic terms, based on his initials, btw.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,708
    Are there any parents of 12 to 15 year olds on here? Will you be encouraging them to get vaccinated?
  • Are there any parents of 12 to 15 year olds on here? Will you be encouraging them to get vaccinated?

Daughter is 13.
    It might be more about getting parents to harass their vax-reluctant friends to get jabbed, along the lines of..
    "my kids are going to have to get jabbed because you wont"
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Just let your teenagers run around with abandon regarding covid and get them as many invites to antivaxers houses. Chances are they wont be any antivaxers left by the time those kids give them covid.
  • Are there any parents of 12 to 15 year olds on here? Will you be encouraging them to get vaccinated?

12 yr old son is very keen, missus is far from keen and I am on the fence
  • TheBigBean

Are there any parents of 12 to 15 year olds on here? Will you be encouraging them to get vaccinated?

How does the voting system work in your house?
  • pblakeney

I'd guess a standard 3-2-1 vote with the chairperson getting the casting vote.
    I'll let you guess the voting ratio and who the chairperson is. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,338
    Didn't realise how young SC's wife was
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono

She will tell him she wants him to be vaccinated and he will rebel.

Does anybody else think that 12 year olds should be able to make this decision
  • pangolin said:

Didn't realise how young SC's wife was

Not something I broadcast as a lot of people can be judgemental but I see this forum as my safe area.
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

What if it is four person family? Does it become 6,3,2,1 then?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

What if it is four person family? Does it become 6,3,2,1 then?
    4-2-1-1.
    And so on.
    Veronese68 wrote:

Eldest son is 15, turns 16 next June. Youngest son is 12, turning 13 next month. Both have reservations about taking it. Rather than forcing it on them, we’re going to give it a few weeks so they start to see a few of their mates being jabbed. I fully expect that by mid Oct they’ll be on board with having it, they just need to go through the motions.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,870
    Why would they have reservations?

I mean, I presume you had them jabbed a tonne when they were children. They do know this, right?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,737

Eldest son is 15, turns 16 next June. Youngest son is 12, turning 13 next month. Both have reservations about taking it. Rather than forcing it on them, we’re going to give it a few weeks so they start to see a few of their mates being jabbed. I fully expect that by mid Oct they’ll be on board with having it, they just need to go through the motions.
    Just tell them their 5G connection speed will be quadrupled and they'll be all in. 😉
  • TheBigBean

I mean, I presume you had them jabbed a tonne when they were children. They do know this, right?

The risk is higher than the reward. Not by much, but that is very different from other vaccines.
  • Why would they have reservations?

The risk is higher than the reward. Not by much, but that is very different from other vaccines.
    Is it?

A good discussion to be had in two ways:

absolute & relative risk

and

benefit to society

Yes, they are aware that the have had other vaccinations.

They have reservations for the same reason that many adults did. They don’t see themselves as being personally at risk from catching Covid and would prefer to see how other 12-15 year olds react to receiving the jab before they have it themselves.

To be clear, my wife and I want them to have it. But we want them to be on board with it and not unduly force it on them. As I said above, give it a month or so and once they’ve seen a bunch of their mates have it and not turn into frogs they’ll be fine getting it. I’d rather let them go through the process themselves to decide to take the jab than have a battle, there’s already enough other battles to fight with them.
  • Or they may see their mates have a really rough few days after having it and think the cure is worse than the illness.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey

Is this actually the case?
  • TheBigBean

Yes. It's the reason I asked the question about parents of 12-15 year olds.

• Or they may see their mates have a really rough few days after having it and think the cure is worse than the illness.

Yes but that's wrong isn't it? Honestly, how many people do you know why big-up the post vaccine "side effects"?

My wife, me, my mum, dad, m.i.l., b.i.l. have all had it and had absolutely no side effects. But then neither have any of us particularly wanted a couple of down days at work.
  • rick_chasey

Could you share what the risks are?
  • TheBigBean

Could you share what the risks are?
    Do you ever read the news?