The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

pblakeney said:

Ah ok. I’m fine. Hyperchondriact no doubt.

It’d be f@cking terrible if he dies.

That's good.

I must admit I thought it was just a precautionary checkup and he'd be straight out. At-least he will be forced to rest now allowing his immune system a chance to fight it.
    I've been hospitalised for pneumonia in the past. It isn't a holiday.
    Yeah, I know it's serious.

It's reported that he's not on a ventilator at present, but it's there if required.
    You know they put you in a coma before putting you on a ventilator?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,955
    He's not the only MP to have been hospitalized today

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,204
    edited April 2020
    I know I don't know enough to speculate.

Anyway, all the best Johnson.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,338

pblakeney said:

That's good.

I must admit I thought it was just a precautionary checkup and he'd be straight out. At-least he will be forced to rest now allowing his immune system a chance to fight it.

It's reported that he's not on a ventilator at present, but it's there if required.
    Do they always do that? Is it so you're not fighting it for control of your breathing?

Hope Boris pulls through.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

That's good.

Do they always do that? Is it so you're not fighting it for control of your breathing?

I read recently that it is so horrific you would not be able to cope.
    He is not going to be rising like Jesus in a week’s time. I hope that the Tories have a better plan than throw the keys to Raab.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,783
    pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

That's good.

Me too. You are sedated, yes. You can't really intubate someone without sedating them.

Rather eerily, just before I saw the news I was reading a Twitter thread about the evolution of our strategy from 'herd immunity' to lockdown. One tweet was a link to a video from earlier in March of Johnson bragging about having shaken hands with everyone at a hospital visit. 😬
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,089

pangolin said:

pblakeney said:

That's good.

I read recently that it is so horrific you would not be able to cope.
    He is not going to be rising like Jesus in a week’s time. I hope that the Tories have a better plan than throw the keys to Raab.

There was a meme going round about CV19 with what looked at first glance something like a scythe... no, that's a tool for intubation. Ugh.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,680
    There are a couple of steps in-between. Supplementary oxygen (with frequent spo2 measurements). Then a positive pressure mask - these are the things with a trip switch that deliver when you breathe in.

You don't want anyone you care about to be struggling that much to breathe though. Hard to watch.
  • pangolin
    Pretty bleak news but this made me laugh.

- Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    (Ok, yeah I'm drunk - days of the week have ceased to have much meaning here)

So I understand I'm supposed to feel sorry for Johnson. Whilst I want to absolutely clear, I do not actively wish harm on anyone..., Johnson said 2 weeks ago that some people would not live as long as they might have because of this virus. However, that was ok because it was only our parents and grandparents, not his and 'cos economy'...

If his name had been Joris Bohnson and he was a 55-year-old shop worker, he would be forced to lie in the unavailable, underfunded bed that he and his party have made for any other 55-year-old shop workers with severe Covid-19.

Now, let's be honest, he is not in an NHS hospital, he is not queuing for a ventilator and you can be damn sure his nurses (unlike Ma Raver*) have every piece of PPE necessary and change it between treating him and any other mega-rich person in the uber-private hospital he is in. Boris is categorically not lying in the same bed he made as our poor shoppie, Joris

But apparently I am supposed to particularly feel sorry for Boris but not the 10's of thousands of Joris's that will die as a result of Boris and his party's actions and who were hitherto considered acceptable collateral damage (such as, perhaps, Grandpa Raver*)

Hmmm....

(no, I didnt vote labour, and I hope that Boris Johnson gets well exactly as much as I think the thousands of Joris Bohnsons get well...but no more.)

*insert your own family members here...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    ddraver said:

(Ok, yeah I'm drunk - days of the week have ceased to have much meaning here)

So I understand I'm supposed to feel sorry for Johnson. Whilst I want to absolutely clear, I do not actively wish harm on anyone..., Johnson said 2 weeks ago that some people would not live as long as they might have because of this virus. However, that was ok because it was only our parents and grandparents, not his and 'cos economy'...

If his name had been Joris Bohnson and he was a 55-year-old shop worker, he would be forced to lie in the unavailable, underfunded bed that he and his party have made for any other 55-year-old shop workers with severe Covid-19.

Now, let's be honest, he is not in an NHS hospital, he is not queuing for a ventilator and you can be damn sure his nurses (unlike Ma Raver*) have every piece of PPE necessary and change it between treating him and any other mega-rich person in the uber-private hospital he is in. Boris is categorically not lying in the same bed he made as our poor shoppie, Joris

But apparently I am supposed to particularly feel sorry for Boris but not the 10's of thousands of Joris's that will die as a result of Boris and his party's actions and who were hitherto considered acceptable collateral damage (such as, perhaps, Grandpa Raver*)

Hmmm....

(no, I didnt vote labour, and I hope that Boris Johnson gets well exactly as much as I think the thousands of Joris Bohnsons get well...but no more.)

*insert your own family members here...

I think you may have made a few things up there. Maybe edit it in the morning once you've sobered up and re-read what you wrote.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    As a ProRace forumite Friend you are going to have to help me out there.

Once again I wish him an equally good recovery as I wish everyone (and apparently 2 New York tigers) with Covid 19 in the world. Just...not more than equal
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Well for starters he is in an NHS hospital (St Thomas), I'd be surprised if your Joris Bohnson wouldn't be getting the same treatment all things being equal, even my wife's 87 year old aunt would have had a ventilator had it not been for her having a DNR on file, whilst there may be some issues with PPE everything I've seen from ICU photos including the BBC report this evening where they were allowed into UCH shows the staff fully kitted out.
  • pangolin
    edited April 2020
    NZ health minister demoted after driving 20km to beach in lockdown.

Clark, who offered his resignation, sounded forlorn as he started a round of media calls this morning, saying he felt "like a complete d!ck to be honest".
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,955
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • focuszing723
    Boris Johnson remained in intensive care on Tuesday after being taken to hospital as his coronavirus infection worsened.

There was no change in the prime minister’s condition overnight and that he had required oxygen to help him breathe but had not been placed on a ventilator, the BBC reported.

Michael Gove, Cabinet Office minister, told BBC Breakfast TV that if there was any change in Mr Johnson’s condition Downing Street would issue a statement.

https://www.ft.com/content/1f034247-fe4d-4ae8-8654-e91cf9bae373

The reality of the situation without the wild speculation.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,896
    That’s a handy reference point for lifting restrictions. A success, copy; a failure, don’t.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,089
    It's going to be challenging to play the trumpet with a facemask on, if that were a precondition for allowing us to return to work...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,708
    Am I allowed to cycle to my office to grab some things? Seems low risk to me.
  • TheBigBean
    Not sure it was this thread where nursery fees were discussed. Anyway, 80% seems common.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52184444
  • focuszing723

To get your headphones?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you find you get what you need!
  • TheBigBean

To get your headphones?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you find you get what you need!
    Not just the headphones, some work stuff. Plus the bike ride might be nice.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    pblakeney said:

That’s a handy reference point for lifting restrictions. A success, copy; a failure, don’t.
    I think everyone needs to recognise that lifting it without the majority having it or a vaccine the likelihood if having a lockdown lifted without returning to lockdown is low.

I don't think anyone really has a proper exit strategy once they start thinking about the challenges around a second wave.

I think there are behavioural challenges around asking people to return to lockdown after it is lifted too, so it's not as straightforward as people are making out.
  • rjsterry
    https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/04/04/1586015208000/Imperial-s-Neil-Ferguson---We-don-t-have-a-clear-exit-strategy-/

An interview with Neil Ferguson. Includes discussion of the herd immunity strategy that 'never was' and how to get out of a lockdown. Free to read, but need to register.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,871
    Yes, that's basically what I was referring to re no-one knows.
  • rjsterry
    Thought it might have been. I think it's completely reasonable that we are having to work this out as we go.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross

Not sure it was this thread where nursery fees were discussed. Anyway, 80% seems common.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52184444

Greedy bastards, their staff will be a main cost and will be getting paid by the government. A small retainer to keep the building operating and provide some income for the owner isn't unreasonable but 80% or even 40% is taking the pi$$. No food to provide, no electricity or heating costs and staff being paid by the Government - they'll be making more money from being closed that from being open whilst creating fear among their clients that they'll lose their kids places if they don't pay.
  • rjsterry

To get your headphones?

Not just the headphones, some work stuff. Plus the bike ride might be nice.
    If there is stuff that you need for work and you can get in and out while observing distancing, then that seems reasonable. Not sure headphones count as essential, though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723
    rjsterry said:

Thought it might have been. I think it's completely reasonable that we are having to work this out as we go.

Yes. It's akin to anything people do for the first time and why Countries like South Korea are more prepared.