The big Coronavirus thread

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    rjsterry said:

Am I allowed to cycle to my office to grab some things? Seems low risk to me.

To get your headphones?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you find you get what you need!
    Not just the headphones, some work stuff. Plus the bike ride might be nice.
    If there is stuff that you need for work and you can get in and out while observing distancing, then that seems reasonable. Not sure headphones count as essential, though.
    Just say you need them for video conferencing.

I have to admit I find it odd when I go into other businesses and see people sat at their desks wearing headphones, I'm not sure they have a place in many business premises but that's for another thread!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

To get your headphones?

You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you find you get what you need!
    If there is stuff that you need for work and you can get in and out while observing distancing, then that seems reasonable. Not sure headphones count as essential, though.

I have to admit I find it odd when I go into other businesses and see people sat at their desks wearing headphones, I'm not sure they have a place in many business premises but that's for another thread!
    Headphones in offices are standard practice aren't they? A natural reaction to open plan offices.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

To get your headphones?

Headphones in offices are standard practice aren't they? A natural reaction to open plan offices.
    Not if I have a say in it, I've worked places before where staff wearing headphones were either not hearing incoming calls or choosing to ignore them. It was also really hard to get their attention at times when you wanted to speak to them about something. Maybe it's because I'm old though. I also have an issue going into offices where people are walking around in their socks!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

To get your headphones?

Not if I have a say in it, I've worked places before where staff wearing headphones were either not hearing incoming calls or choosing to ignore them. It was also really hard to get their attention at times when you wanted to speak to them about something. Maybe it's because I'm old though. I also have an issue going into offices where people are walking around in their socks!

:)

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    edited April 2020
    Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

To get your headphones?

You'd hate mine!

Headphones are code = do not disturb - pretend I am not here.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

To get your headphones?

I think you're working out exactly why people like headphones.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

To get your headphones?

My desk phone hasn't rung in about 3 years. Not sure why it's even there.

Literally all calls now done through Teams, through my bluetooth headphones.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

To get your headphones?

I think you're working out exactly why people like headphones.
    Maybe I'll try it when school is back on ;)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    rjsterry said:

To get your headphones?

Need, essential etc. they are all strong words, but pass your judgement on this: I'm currently spending around five hours a day working whilst standing and carrying a baby, when I have a call it is quite convenient to be able to walk around to settle the baby and prevent baby noises on said call. I'm finding my new blue tooth headset doesn't cut it and prevents this. Therefore, I would like to pick up my fancy office phone complete with extremely comfortable highly portable headset. Judge away. Whole operation would not involve another human.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    Also who are these people who don't answer their phone just because they have headphones on?

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932

To get your headphones?

Just label it as your exercise ride for the day. Just don't look like you're enjoying yourself and you'll be fine... ;)
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203

To get your headphones?

Just label it as your exercise ride for the day. Just don't look like you're enjoying yourself and you'll be fine... ;)
    !!Devious!!
  • focuszing723
    edited April 2020
    Micheal Gove goes into self isolation now!
  • briantrumpet

'Stay Home Save Lives, Don't Be Devious!'

I'm working on the basis that if I can do my exercise ride and combine it with anything else that needs to be done, I'm doing my bit. It's better than doing things separately and going out of the house more. I'm certainly not looking for excuses to go out of the house for the sake of it, as I'm working on the basis that outside of my house is contaminated, and the fewer times I go out, the less likely it is that stuff inside my house (including me) will get contaminated.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Pross said:

Not sure it was this thread where nursery fees were discussed. Anyway, 80% seems common.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52184444

Greedy bastards, their staff will be a main cost and will be getting paid by the government. A small retainer to keep the building operating and provide some income for the owner isn't unreasonable but 80% or even 40% is taking the pi$$. No food to provide, no electricity or heating costs and staff being paid by the Government - they'll be making more money from being closed that from being open whilst creating fear among their clients that they'll lose their kids places if they don't pay.
    Greedy indeed. I would be surprised if there isn't clause in the Govt's help scheme that say this sort of thing is not allowed.

The older I get, the better I was.

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

To get your headphones?

Sometimes you need to focus on a task and shut everything else out, but there's definitely a loss, especially for more junior staff, in not being aware of what is going on around you.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

To get your headphones?

Need, essential etc. they are all strong words, but pass your judgement on this: I'm currently spending around five hours a day working whilst standing and carrying a baby, when I have a call it is quite convenient to be able to walk around to settle the baby and prevent baby noises on said call. I'm finding my new blue tooth headset doesn't cut it and prevents this. Therefore, I would like to pick up my fancy office phone complete with extremely comfortable highly portable headset. Judge away. Whole operation would not involve another human.
    Sounds fair enough to me if the headphones make your work measurably easier.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    capt_slog said:

Pross said:

Not sure it was this thread where nursery fees were discussed. Anyway, 80% seems common.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52184444

Greedy bastards, their staff will be a main cost and will be getting paid by the government. A small retainer to keep the building operating and provide some income for the owner isn't unreasonable but 80% or even 40% is taking the pi$$. No food to provide, no electricity or heating costs and staff being paid by the Government - they'll be making more money from being closed that from being open whilst creating fear among their clients that they'll lose their kids places if they don't pay.
    Greedy indeed. I would be surprised if there isn't clause in the Govt's help scheme that say this sort of thing is not allowed.
    Our office cleaners have tried the same line.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805

pblakeney said:

That’s a handy reference point for lifting restrictions. A success, copy; a failure, don’t.
    I think everyone needs to recognise that lifting it without the majority having it or a vaccine the likelihood if having a lockdown lifted without returning to lockdown is low.

I don't think anyone really has a proper exit strategy once they start thinking about the challenges around a second wave.

I think there are behavioural challenges around asking people to return to lockdown after it is lifted too, so it's not as straightforward as people are making out.
    My point was that it is nice to have someone else to test drive the return before we try.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Go for it Bean. Treat everyone like they might have a horrible virus and you'll be fine

(keep apart, try not to use your hands, if you talk to someone try to do it without looking at their face. If you pass someone, pass quickly)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

That’s a handy reference point for lifting restrictions. A success, copy; a failure, don’t.
    I think everyone needs to recognise that lifting it without the majority having it or a vaccine the likelihood if having a lockdown lifted without returning to lockdown is low.

I don't think anyone really has a proper exit strategy once they start thinking about the challenges around a second wave.

I think there are behavioural challenges around asking people to return to lockdown after it is lifted too, so it's not as straightforward as people are making out.
    My point was that it is nice to have someone else to test drive the return before we try.
    It's going to be complex and there may not be a 'first mover' advantage here. Suspect countries will be watching each other on this as well as doing their own research.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Paris has now banned jogging between 10am and 7pm. Not sure what that achieves, apart from forcing people to go out jogging in the morning or the evening rather than spread thought the day - and so more likely to come close to someone.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    Useful article on antibody testing and the problems of statistics.

https://unherd.com/2020/04/how-far-away-are-immunity-passports/
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• focuszing723
    ddraver said:

Go for it Bean. Treat everyone like they might have a horrible virus and you'll be fine

(keep apart, try not to use your hands, if you talk to someone try to do it without looking at their face. If you pass someone, pass quickly)

Don't do it Bean!

What would happen if everybody decided they needed their headphones today? There
    already seems to be BR headphone panic going down, it reminds me of bog roll fever!
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    Stevo_666 said:

Paris has now banned jogging between 10am and 7pm. Not sure what that achieves, apart from forcing people to go out jogging in the morning or the evening rather than spread thought the day - and so more likely to come close to someone.

They showed the streets of Paris on Sunday and they were fairly crowded. Not crowded so much that there would have been that much transmission (if any), though, and certainly not crowded with joggers. The whole French handling of this crisis has been needlessly authoritarian and this move just seems spiteful. Another example, it's been a few times now that French ministers have said 'it'll take as long as it takes'. Compare that with the UK PM promising they'll regularly review the measures. I tell you who doesn't need to move around and visit hospitals, Emmanuel Macron. If it's good for French morale then I tell you what else is: going outside for a bit of exercise.
  • Stevo_666
    nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

They showed the streets of Paris on Sunday and they were fairly crowded. Not crowded so much that there would have been that much transmission (if any), though, and certainly not crowded with joggers. The whole French handling of this crisis has been needlessly authoritarian and this move just seems spiteful. Another example, it's been a few times now that French ministers have said 'it'll take as long as it takes'. Compare that with the UK PM promising they'll regularly review the measures. I tell you who doesn't need to move around and visit hospitals, Emmanuel Macron. If it's good for French morale then I tell you what else is: going outside for a bit of exercise.
    France (and also Italy and Spain) seem to have gone down the authoritarian route. Is it just me, or does Macron fancy himself as some sort of Napoleon figure?
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

I'd guess it's an attempt to make it less appealing and dissuade those who are just using it as another excuse to get out... but yes, could well be counterproductive.
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

France (and also Italy and Spain) seem to have gone down the authoritarian route. Is it just me, or does Macron fancy himself as some sort of Napoleon figure?
    I don't think you find your way to the top of any country without at least part of you wanting to rule the world. Some are just better at dressing it up as being 'for the people'.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

nickice said:

Stevo_666 said:

I don't think you find your way to the top of any country without at least part of you wanting to rule the world. Some are just better at dressing it up as being 'for the people'.
    True, but the countries I mentioned do seem to have taken a more dictatorial route compared to others (including the UK) where there is more of an element of trust, self-policing and getting public 'buy-in'.