Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Just saw. No positives but some temps.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Paris half marathon cancelled. Maybe the expo should have been but I doubt anyone with Corona virus would be running ?

As has been said - it will get out eventually.
  • gweeds said:

Just saw. No positives but some temps.

Nothing to do with the required paperwork then and that isn't arriving until the morning.........just like the flights out.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    gweeds said:

All the tests at the UAE tour have come back negative so people are being allowed to leave.

It's all very inconsistent, in other cases people have had to be symptom free for 14 days before leaving quarantine.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    fenix said:

Paris half marathon cancelled. Maybe the expo should have been but I doubt anyone with Corona virus would be running ?

As has been said - it will get out eventually.

From what I've read / heard on the news you can have it and be contagious before it starts showing symptoms.
  • gweeds
    The CDC have formally advised against all non-essential travel to Italy. Doesn’t bode well for Strade Bianchi and the following races.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds
    Italian COVID-19 races update: Italian government just issues a new decree for the week 1/3-8/3.

Restriction for sporting events are at the moment only in Lombardia, Veneto and Emilia-Romagna.

Strade Bianche and Tirreno are out of this zone.
  • gweeds
    MotoGP in Qatar next weekend canned
  • gweeds
    Confusingly only the MotoGP class. Moto 2 and 3 are going ahead.

So that’s a bit bizarre.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    There's no way MSR is taking place. Even if Strade Bianche and T-A survive I can see plenty of teams dropping out.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    gweeds said:

Confusingly only the MotoGP class. Moto 2 and 3 are going ahead.

So that’s a bit bizarre.

both the Moto 2 and Moto 3 class teams/personnel are already there following the test session they held over this weekend, so they dont have to travel, just stay in the country which they probably already were planning to do,whilst the Moto GP test was held last weekend so theyd already shipped out travelled etc etc and would need to travel back in.

still think its a massive over reaction fwiw
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    .......................being confined to their hotels after two staff members of one of the teams taking part were reported by the organisers as having tested positive for the virus.

There are now doubts as to whether those members of staff actually did test positive for the coronavirus

Also 7 countries that previously declared infection are now clear.
  • gweeds
    Second MotoGP (Thailand) cancelled.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    all cancelled races could be relocated to indonesia and Iran where the governments are totally in control.

• mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    david37 said:

all cancelled races could be relocated to indonesia and Iran where the governments are totally in control.

or the USA
  • RichN95.
    edited March 2020
    I see UAE authorities are having the same experience as cycling fans over the last decade of not noticing that Cofidis were in the race.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    From what I've read about the disease and the methods of containment a bike race is the last of their worries, many people just line the route quite sparsely. 50,000 people in a football stadium is far more concerning prospect.

And the way we're going, there'll come a day where containment becomes futile.
  • RichN95.
    So in France there is a growing hot spot in Compiegne where a second person has died. Compiegne as many of you know is where Paris-Roubaix starts. After Milan and this, we should probably just shut down Antwerp and Liege now to save time

#monumentvirus
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Shout out to the French sports minister who says Paris Nice doesn't draw enough crowds to be worth cancelling. :D
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,310
    The issue with bikes races is that it's maybe 150 riders plus two or three times the amount of support staff who regularly travel all over the world. From a public health perspective, that's probably quite an effective vector of transmission. From a rider safety perspective - bearing mins most of them will have pretty fragile immune systems and they spend a fair amount of time in close proximity - that's got to be reasonably worrying.

Worth revisiting the WSJ article (posted in this reddit thread) about Sky/Ineos and hand sanitiser:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/peloton/comments/6ockjy/the_tour_de_frances_mostabused_substance_hand/
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    pat1cp said:

And the way we're going, there'll come a day where containment becomes futile.

The way we are going worldwide is that as cases are closed, the number of active cases is dropping. Currently, the figure is just over 40,000.
    Two thirds of the Chinese cases have recovered and the number new cases declared are pretty small.
    90% of new cases are in S Korea and Iran.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Useful page for spreading stats: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/

Can tab down into individual countries etc.. Quite handy.
  • blazing_saddles

Useful page for spreading stats: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/

Can tab down into individual countries etc.. Quite handy.

Indeed.
    That's the one I have been following.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited March 2020
    I think my only slight issue with your previous comment is that while yes, most cases are still in China and as they recover the overall number infected is going down, but on the other hand the total cases outside China is still on a nice hockey stick profile:

Basically the really big number in China is drowning out the numbers elsewhere. And since we seem to have some infections in e.g., central Africa now it could be hard to contain.

In the UK we don't seem to have much community transmission, yet... Seems quite likely that the US case count will go up a lot in the next few days though (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/02/world/coronavirus-updates-news-covid-19.html) as it may have been spreading for a little while. So you can see how the same might happen here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    bobmcstuff - there is very little to be positive about at the moment. The WHO's report said that China's tactics controlled the spread, but the rest of the world probably won't be able to do that.

One small positive is that kids seem to be fine with it.

Also, the death rate of closed cases is down to 6%.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Everyone is also forgetting that the Chinese figures are (probably) a complete lie

I worked in China for a couple years, it's a nation built on deceit and cover ups.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    pat1cp said:

Everyone is also forgetting that the Chinese figures are (probably) a complete lie

Not in the view of the WHO. It is also not unreasonable to think that if no one goes out the rate at which the virus spreads slows down.

• mrfpb

bobmcstuff - there is very little to be positive about at the moment. The WHO's report said that China's tactics controlled the spread, but the rest of the world probably won't be able to do that.

One small positive is that kids seem to be fine with it.

Also, the death rate of closed cases is down to 6%.

As yet (according to the preferred web page linked earlier) no deaths in under 10s then 0.2% for 10-19 yrs, then exponential increase for each decade up to 80+. Clearly this virus favours the young. Zero infant mortality is remarkable.
  • mrfpb
    Easier just to snip and paste!