Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    redvision said:

Not a surprise but the tour of Britain is officially postponed until next year

That'll teach them not to try and put the TDF on at the same time.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    That’s 3 times it’s been mentioned. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Anyone know what's happening with the Tour of Britain?
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Not sure but I think it's possibly postponed. Hard to find confirmation though.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,809
    Gutted the Tour of Britain isn't coming past my front door this year
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Are they holding it twice in 2021, or has the 2021 race been cancelled?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    The lock down was to save the NHS from overload and consequently save lives. There is no need to crush the economy and the finances and life chances of many to save a few anymore.

fine if you are a public servant or in a large corporate with longer term focus and deeper pockets.

but the tax burden lies heavily on those who receive little or no help and fund the salaries and pensions of the lazy teachers.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Biggest death toll in Europe. Even with all the warnings. It's amazing how badly the UK have handled this..
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    david37 said:

The lock down was to save the NHS from overload and consequently save lives. There is no need to crush the economy and the finances and life chances of many to save a few anymore.

fine if you are a public servant or in a large corporate with longer term focus and deeper pockets.

but the tax burden lies heavily on those who receive little or no help and fund the salaries and pensions of the lazy teachers.

Do you think that it has gone on it's summer holidays?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    david37 said:

You might want the thread that isn't about sport.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited May 2020

pblakeney said:

My annual Eurovision party has also become a casualty.

That would be a cause for celebration in itself for me. 😂
    I will have you know my Eurovision parties are excellent and the cocktails outstanding.
    Short update.

A truncated buffet will still be prepared and me and my wife will have our own Eurovision party on Saturday.

Cocktail menu will also be truncated, but quality will be maintained.
  • blazing_saddles

pblakeney said:

I will have you know my Eurovision parties are excellent and the cocktails outstanding.
    Short update.

A truncated buffet will still be prepared and me and my wife will have our own Eurovision party on Saturday.

If you pipe a selection of Eurovision's greatest hits out into your neighbourhood, you could reintroduce full home lockdown.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158

pblakeney said:

Short update.

If you pipe a selection of Eurovision's greatest hits out into your neighbourhood, you could reintroduce full home lockdown.
    I'm not sure that would make much difference. I doubt his neighbours want anything to do with him so will have practiced social distancing way before it became de rigueur
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2020

Could we have a little peek at the cocktail menu?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    david37 said:

Do you get all your opinions from the Daily Mail?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Cocktails?

I recommend a mojito made with Thai basil instead of mint. Trust me on this. It's spicier than sweet basil, and has aniseed notes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey

Cocktails?

I recommend a mojito made with Thai basil instead of mint. Trust me on this. It's spicier than sweet basil, and has aniseed notes.

Too long.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Cocktails?

Too long.
    Ah well, a tip for a summer evening then.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2020
    RichN95. said:

So all the whiskey, bourbon and scotch jobbies. Eg old fashioned, Manhattan, rob roy, cinamanhatton, scofflaw, whiskey Rickey, highball, boulevadier, various nails.

Rum based I can do a few but am limited to a couple of drinks due to limited rum supply. Mojitos, daiquiris (I can do cranberry orange or apple, possibly raspberries spending on how hungry the toddler is)

Various tonic based drinks.

Tequila wise that is also rationed but I have some outstanding mescal as a substitute (though it is actually very drinkable solo but v Smokey) but various forms of margaritas (eg chap aka, wall banger, avocado if you’re feeling adventurous, Mexican madras/mule)

Then the classic gin efforts, martini, g&t, gimlets, gin fizz, gin julep, Rickey, sling.

Basically I’m ok on base spirits and citrus & mixers (inc vermouth) What’s missing is any type of wine or Campari or aperol or any kind of liqueur save for Cointreau.

• blazing_saddles

RichN95. said:

So all the whiskey, bourbon and scotch jobbies. Eg old fashioned, Manhattan, rob roy, cinamanhatton, scofflaw, whiskey Rickey, highball, boulevadier, various nails.

Rum based I can do a few but am limited to a couple of drinks due to limited rum supply. Mojitos, daiquiris (I can do cranberry orange or apple, possibly raspberries spending on how hungry the toddler is)

Tequila wise that is also rationed but I have some outstanding mescal as a substitute (though it is actually very drinkable solo but v Smokey) but various forms of margaritas (eg chap aka, wall banger, avocado if you’re feeling adventurous, Mexican madras/mule)

Then the classic gin efforts, martini, g&t, gimlets, gin fizz, gin julep, Rickey, sling.

Basically I’m ok on base spirits and citrus & mixers (inc vermouth) What’s missing is any type of wine or Campari or aperol or any kind of liqueur save for Cointreau.

Should keep Coronavirus at bay for a while!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

RichN95. said:

That's for two of you?
  • RichN95.

I'm no parenting expert but I don't think daiquiris are suitable for a toddler
  • rick_chasey

RichN95. said:

That's for two of you?
    That’s what I got in the cabinet
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537
    RichN95. said:

I'm no parenting expert but I don't think daiquiris are suitable for a toddler
    That's why you're not an expert 😂
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    edited May 2020
    andyp said:

david37 said:

Do you get all your opinions from the Daily Mail?
    nope, i form my opinions based on direct personal experience and observation. Do you get yours from the Guardian?
  • RichN95.
    Anyway, football is back in German today, which I welcome as a hardcore 1.FC Koln fan since this morning
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    RichN95. said:

Anyway, football is back in German today, which I welcome as a hardcore 1.FC Koln fan since this morning

After the show their fans put on at Arsenal, they are the only German team I dislike. And Bayern too.Then
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95. said:

You're not a proper fan if you can't be arsed doing the umlaut.
  • blazing_saddles
    So, BT Sport are the lucky winners of this Corona lottery.

I wonder if they will have canned fans atmosphere enhancement over stadium speakers any time soon?
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2020

RichN95. said:

You're not a proper fan if you can't be arsed doing the umlaut.

I don't have a weird keyboard like probably do.