Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

fenix said:

German football gets Merkel's green light for go, around the middle of this month.
    (She's also said all shops can re-open)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52557699

Meanwhile, the UCI boss has mentioned the the D word again if the Tour doesn't go ahead.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/uci-president-says-not-holding-the-tour-de-france-in-2020-would-be-a-disaster-as-he-shares-thoughts-on-new-worldtour-calendar-455458

Yes. 22 players behind closed doors for 90 mins is very similar to 176 riders being in close formation for 6 Hours a Day on the public roads.

Makes as much sense as us lifting some of the lockdown restrictions too soon.
    22 players plus subs plus officials multiplied by however many games are played - not that different. Public roads makes little difference unless we have crowds packed watching .
    And the different hotels, start towns etc they would be staying in every night.
    On the tour you'd likely come into contact with 100s of people.
    All the riders - sitting on their wheels and sharing breaths.

Helpers handing up food and drink. Hotel staff. Drivers. Mechanics. Masseuses. DS's.

Football - 21 other people and presumably you'd get tests between games ?

And you'd still need the marshals to support the race. How many there for each stage.

Football is nothing like a 3 week tour. One case and you could take out the whole peleton.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    edited May 2020
    fenix said:

fenix said:

German football gets Merkel's green light for go, around the middle of this month.

Meanwhile, the UCI boss has mentioned the the D word again if the Tour doesn't go ahead.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/uci-president-says-not-holding-the-tour-de-france-in-2020-would-be-a-disaster-as-he-shares-thoughts-on-new-worldtour-calendar-455458

Yes. 22 players behind closed doors for 90 mins is very similar to 176 riders being in close formation for 6 Hours a Day on the public roads.

22 players plus subs plus officials multiplied by however many games are played - not that different. Public roads makes little difference unless we have crowds packed watching .

Helpers handing up food and drink. Hotel staff. Drivers. Mechanics. Masseuses. DS's.

And you'd still need the marshals to support the race. How many there for each stage.

Football is nothing like a 3 week tour. One case and you could take out the whole peleton.
    Skysports had an article last week looking at the minimum number of personnel (including players) needed for a behind closed doors match and it was staggering for an individual match. IIRC the minimum was 350, but usually matches played in these circumstances and broadcast require up to 500.

Quite how the football authorities, clubs, drs, police and the govt fund a solution is going to be very interesting. I suspect all eyes will be on Germany from next week.

Personally I think the season should just be ended.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    fenix said:

fenix said:

Football fan are we?
    Try anything up to 500 people needed per game.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-behind-closed-doors-karen-brady-a4417851.html

"Police officers will need to be at games even if they are behind closed doors, as some supporters will travel to the stadium, even if they cannot come in to watch," Brady wrote in The Sun. "But the police will want to ensure attending matches does not drain resources away from other matters.

"Everyone at the stadium - and even behind closed doors this is about 300-500 people - including security, staff, medical officers, players, referees and media, will have to have temperature checks, fill out health questionnaires and observe social distancing."

And all this is supposed to happen in the next few weeks, not September.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    Pedalos? Just putting it out there for discussion.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited May 2020

Football fan are we?

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league-behind-closed-doors-karen-brady-a4417851.html

"Police officers will need to be at games even if they are behind closed doors, as some supporters will travel to the stadium, even if they cannot come in to watch," Brady wrote in The Sun. "But the police will want to ensure attending matches does not drain resources away from other matters.

"Everyone at the stadium - and even behind closed doors this is about 300-500 people - including security, staff, medical officers, players, referees and media, will have to have temperature checks, fill out health questionnaires and observe social distancing."

Bear in mind here that Karen Brady desperately wants the season voided as West Ham are in danger of relegation
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026

fenix said:

fenix said:

Football fan are we?

Exactly - and multiply by the number of games played - if football can go ahead cycling certainly can. In fact I'd say 1 day races are in a far better position to take place as cyclists can train alone so one testing positive needn't take out the whole team.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    ...and this is why caution should still remain.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52583739
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523
    Live football on TV today. From Korea

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/52581366
  • blazing_saddles
    pblakeney said:

...and this is why caution should still remain.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52583739

Not sure what relevance 3 footballers playing in Italy have to do the German Bundesliga or a football match taking place in S Korea.
  • DeVlaeminck
    If whole offices and factories are going to shut because one person tests positive for the virus then we may as well go back to subsistance farming. Cyclists, footballers, etc will test positive it can't be a reason to shut the whole sport down or else all sports people are going to be out of a job and all major sports teams will go bust.
  • pblakeney
    If one person tests positive then they are going into isolation, as is everyone else that they came into direct contact with.
    Now take that logic to team sports.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    edited May 2020
    As I say take that logic into offices and factories - they won't.

But basically that is why I think 1 day races are in a good position to go ahead though - you train alone - turn up and race. If a rider tests positive you get a test and if negative you crack on to the next race.

Tours seem to me to be more like football leagues in that they are ongoing over multiple days.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

But basically that is why I think 1 day races are in a good position to go ahead though - you train alone - turn up and race. If a rider tests positive you get a test and if negative you crack on to the next race.

Tours seem to me to be more like football leagues in that they are ongoing over multiple days.

In offices, when there is a confirmed case, those who have been in close contact should be tested (and isolated until the result comes back). I'd get used to it.

That hasn't happened in meat processing plants in the USA, and they are in a terrible state as a result.
  • pblakeney

They have, and they will take that into offices and factories.
    That was exactly our office procedure pre-lockdown and I doubt it will change.
    Duty of care for the other employees will override any other action.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles
    Methinks some people spend too much time in the cake shop preaching indefinite lockdown.

We will have to learn to adapt, live and work with this virus. We can't simply run away and hide until such time as a vaccine becomes available.
    People will continue to die even after a vaccine is found, as happens every year with Flu.

• DeVlaeminck
    For top level sport they'll get a quick test with a same day result and if negative crack on - no need to stop play and isolate people just in case. The alternative is they all go and get a real job - I know which I'd choose. My own side are grassroots amateurs and they'd return tomorrow if allowed .

Pre lock down and lock down procedures are not going to be workable for the next 18 months or however long it takes - as Blazing says there has to be some recognition that life can't stop indefinitely.
  • kingstongraham

Methinks some people spend too much time in the cake shop preaching indefinite lockdown.

We will have to learn to adapt, live and work with this virus. We can't simply run away and hide until such time as a vaccine becomes available.
    People will continue to die even after a vaccine is found, as happens every year with Flu.

We do. Which should involve tracing contacts of people who have had it, testing them and isolating them. And temporarily reducing gatherings of people.

That's straightforward enough. But sport (and theatres and bars and clubs) shouldn't be a top priority.

No-one I can think of has preached indefinite lockdown, that's just an extreme position invented to rail against.
  • kingstongraham
    Get the fucker under control and the tests would pretty much all come back negative anyway, so no problem. Don't get it under control, no sport because of all the dying. That's the way I see it, anyway.
  • fenix
    Exactly. It's only sport.
    Lives are more important.
    I'd rather be able to get back to normal than still be in lockdown but able to watch the tour on TV.

• fenix

fenix said:

fenix said:

Football fan are we?
    Christ no. But it's a good example. Everything is more complicated than you think.

One day classics would be much more manageable than a three week tour as has been said.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,523

Get the fucker under control and the tests would pretty much all come back negative anyway, so no problem. Don't get it under control, no sport because of all the dying. That's the way I see it, anyway.

The swear filter on this forum puzzles me.
  • kingstongraham
    Ha!
  • pblakeney
    edited May 2020

The swear filter on this forum puzzles me.
    For fucks sake! The fucking fuckers fucked again.
    Always a good test. 😉
    Seems to be working fine. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
    And now it's not.... 🤣🤣🤣🤔🤣🤣🤣🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles
    fenix said:

So it seems, but only in terms of this virus.

4 and a quarter million deaths worldwide from other communicable diseases in just 5 months of this year, but over which nobody seems to bat an eye.
    It's the disproportionate response that really pees me off.
    Why doesn't anybody seem to care about them?

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447

fenix said:

4 and a quarter million deaths worldwide from other communicable diseases in just 5 months of this year, but over which nobody seems to bat an eye.

I don't think you quite understand what a pandemic is.
  • kingstongraham
    This one's probably killed over half a million since late march so far. Over quarter of a million confirmed.
  • blazing_saddles
    andyp said:

fenix said:

I don't think you quite understand what a pandemic is.
    I am pretty sure that nobody fully understands this pandemic, including both of us.
  • fenix
    Mr BS - what's your job ? Are you back at work normally yet ?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

fenix said:

Couple of points here.
    Firstly, a hell of a lot of people care a great deal about deaths from other causes, including other communicable diseases. However, most of these deaths stem from social conditions that allow these diseases to spread (e.g. dysentery, cholera, tuberculosis) and there is no political will to change that as it would involve radical change in the economic system. Those deaths, globally, are mostly in impoverished countries and they're counted as an acceptable loss because the very poverty that causes them is the same poverty that keeps the price down on our coffee, electrical gizmos etc.

Secondly, the death toll quoted is despite numerous countries taking counter-measures, such as going into lockdown. Without those measures this would look far, far worse. Before claiming the response is disproportionate you need a half-decent estimate of what the death toll would have looked like if we hadn't acted.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    My point was that I think we aren't doing nearly enough in terms of other diseases in light of the world's response to covid.
    I must admit to being somewhat ashamed by until recently having no idea the numbers were so staggering.
    I think No_Ta_Doctor makes some valid observations.