Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Some points about Cargo's post

1. The Tour still a little under three months away. Cases are dropping, that's not get been a sign of a second wave. France are doing better than Britain.

2. Of the millions on the side of the road, most are locals. There's not much chance of wide spreading. The tourist go to the start, the finish and the climbs. They will be restricted and the tourist will wait till next year.

3. "The economy tanks for a few years". People die of things other than the virus. A crashed economy causes poverty which is a big killer. And there will be less money for health care. When the economy goes down, deaths go up.

4. My parents are the same age as your mother. I had to give them a big talk about the seriousness of this at the beginning. But then I know 20 year olds looking at the future and it's bleak. It was already hard to find a good job, a house is a fantasy. And now were asking them to pay off the debts that this crisis will incur.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    It’s also entirely possible to understand and accept the severity of Covid (and I speak as someone who’s has it and recovered) and also long for the distraction of sport.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    (high 5 gweeds!)

I can tell you that the European mountain tourism industry is basically going to be non existent this year. I don't think many people on the climbs will have come from outside the valley this year.

Plus if it's later in the year it's not going to be a great time for a holiday the rest of the week given the weather...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    fenix said:

Etape cancelled for this year. Not sure if this bodes well for the tour.

Turns out it hasn't been cancelled. Some bungled communication. You can defer, get a voucher valid for an event within 18 months, but the ASO and the authorities in Nice have set a 30 June deadline to announce a September date for the Etape.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Gregor Dimitrov tests positive for coronavirus after Adria Tour events.

• jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    Always hated tennis... but this shows just how these things can spread.

At the moment I am torn somewhere between writing the year off and sitting this thing out and Off Guardian levels of cynicism as to the seriousness of the outbreak.

Its soooo confusing.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

Always hated tennis... but this shows just how these things can spread.

At the moment I am torn somewhere between writing the year off and sitting this thing out and Off Guardian levels of cynicism as to the seriousness of the outbreak.

Its soooo confusing.

To be fair, they broke just about every social distancing rule there is, to the point that they were hugging and more:

"Put it this way, I don't think you should be having a players' party and then dancing all over each other," Evans said.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joe2019
    joe2019 Posts: 1,338
    Novak Djokovic tests positive too.
  • RichN95.
    joe2019 said:

Given that he's against vaccinations, it's probably for the best
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    joe2019 said:

Gregor Dimitrov tests positive for coronavirus after Adria Tour events.

The guy in the middle needs an urgent test!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    He's such an easy bad guy.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Not helpful to the chances of the big tours getting started is it ?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    What's the protocol gonna be when a rider tests positive....for corona, mid race?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    fenix said:

Not helpful to the chances of the big tours getting started is it ?

What took you so long?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    RichN95. said:

joe2019 said:

Given that he's against vaccinations, it's probably for the best
    I was kinda hoping he would have to refuse to play because of his anti-vaccination stance, not really sure why except to publicise how retarded it is.
  • The Diamond League returned this evening, with spectators in........................."Quarantined" Monaco.
    Gives me hope that the Tour might not get torpedoed at the 11th hour by panicky politicians.
  • RichN95.

The Diamond League returned this evening, with spectators in........................."Quarantined" Monaco.
    Gives me hope that the Tour might not get torpedoed at the 11th hour by panicky politicians.

Are we still looking at the situation abroad by who the UK are blocking? They're all doing better than us (maybe not Belgium). It's just politics. It's diversion from other matters.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    edited September 2020
    The worlds have been confirmed for Imola. Hopefully it won't be 100 laps of the race track.

Elites only though. No u23, junior etc.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Giulio Ciccone has returned a positive COVID-19 test result.
    Trek have confirmed.
  • gsk82 said:

The worlds have been confirmed for Imola. Hopefully it won't be 100 laps of the race track.

It starts at the circuit, for a lap I think I read, before venturing out into the wilderness.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618

gsk82 said:

It starts at the circuit, for a lap I think I read, before venturing out into the wilderness.
    Does it finish back on the circuit?
  • Ineos's Leonardo Basso never had Covid in the first place.
    The curse of Moscon strikes again.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leonardo-basso-returned-false-positive-for-covid-19-ahead-of-italian-championships/
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    mrb123 said:

gsk82 said:

Does it finish back on the circuit?
    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/uci-road-world-championships-465806

Team GB:

Elite Men’s Road Race

PIDCOCK Tom
    KNOX James
    SHAW James
    CARTHY Hugh
    ROWE Luke
    HOLMES Matthew

Elite Men’s Individual Time Trial

THOMAS Geraint
    DOWSETT Alex
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,557
    Knox has been going well recently but I suspect the course is more suited to a more powerful rider who can get over the climbs rather than a lighter climber like Knox. Pidcock on the other hand seems to have power despite being so small.

Supposedly it's a similar but slightly tougher course to last year. Who is going? I assume the likes of WVA and MvdP will be there plus Hirschi. Kwia looks in good form for it as well if he's going.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    MVDP is not riding, thinks the course is too selective for him.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    So the Nord department in France is now in the red zone meaning the Belgians can't come to watch Paris-Roubaix. It's going to lose a lot of atmosphere as most fans on the route (especially places like the Carrefour de l'Arbre) are Belgian. That's assuming it actually goes ahead.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm amazed that the Tour actually got round. I really didn't think it would but I was very pleased to see it. I know there were fewer spectators but it didn't detract that much.

Fingers crossed for Paris Roubaix.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Pross said:

Knox has been going well recently but I suspect the course is more suited to a more powerful rider who can get over the climbs rather than a lighter climber like Knox. Pidcock on the other hand seems to have power despite being so small.

Supposedly it's a similar but slightly tougher course to last year. Who is going? I assume the likes of WVA and MvdP will be there plus Hirschi. Kwia looks in good form for it as well if he's going.

Kwiatkowski is down to ride. The Slovenian team would be quite tasty on a mountainous course.

Slovenia
    .. BOLE Grega
    .. BRAJKOVIČ Janez
    .. MEZGEC Luka
    .. MOHORIČ Matej
    .. NOVAK Domen
    .. PIBERNIK Luka
    .. POGAČAR Tadej
    .. POLANC Jan
    .. ROGLIČ Primož
    .. TRATNIK Jan
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    So Belgium has lifted the ban on travelling to the North of France but its not advised. We'll see at Paris-Roubaix!