Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    It would still be great without the crowds - there's a lot fewer for Omloop and that is a great race too.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439

Yes I like the crowds in the classics where they don't get in the way - I'd still watch though.

Oh me too. I live near Belgium so I might even make my way there if I'm allowed and it's not too risky.

Don't you think there will always be a metaphorical asterisk next to each winner's name though.

And how is it going to work for the teams? Some of the half decent classics riders (longshots who might still have a chance of a podium) will surely be sent to a GT instead.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited May 2020
    nickice said:

Oh me too. I live near Belgium so I might even make my way there if I'm allowed and it's not too risky.

Trouble with that is that there are likely a good few hundred thinking the same.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    pblakeney said:

nickice said:

Trouble with that is that there are likely a good few hundred thinking the same.

I don't understand why some individuals on here remain so eager to pour cold water on even the faintest optimism about events that aren't scheduled for four months.
    Allow us a little light at the end of the tunnel.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    pblakeney said:

nickice said:

I meant the general climate, i.e. there might be an effective treatment (or even a vaccine if unlikely), or, even better (for me), my growing suspicion that I've already had it are confirmed not that I would go if the crowds weren't too big.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

pblakeney said:

nickice said:

I don't understand why some individuals on here remain so eager to pour cold water on even the faintest optimism about events that aren't scheduled for four months.
    Why get your hopes up to get dashed?

I prefer be surprised on the upside.
  • blazing_saddles

pblakeney said:

nickice said:

Surprised?
    Truth is Rick, you would be absolutely gutted if the Tour took place.

• kingstongraham

pblakeney said:

nickice said:

Surprised?

I think you're mistaking expectation for hope.

I would be surprised if the Tour takes place this year, but if it does, it means that the world is in a better place than I expect, so it would be a fantastic result.

They should be planning for it to happen, because why wouldn't they?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

nickice said:

I think some are putting hope ahead of reality.
    Very happy to be proven wrong.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles
    German football gets Merkel's green light for go, around the middle of this month.
    (She's also said all shops can re-open)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52557699

Meanwhile, the UCI boss has mentioned the the D word again if the Tour doesn't go ahead.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/uci-president-says-not-holding-the-tour-de-france-in-2020-would-be-a-disaster-as-he-shares-thoughts-on-new-worldtour-calendar-455458
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    pblakeney said:

I think some are putting hope ahead of reality.

And what is reality in September?

The biggest failing of dealing with this pandemic is the hiring of scientists who can't foresee what will happen next week when there were expects available on social media who know with certainty what will happen in several months
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pblakeney
    The only thing we know, is that we don’t know.
    Opening things up now gives a high probability of a second wave around then.
    Plan for the best scenario by all means but don’t assume that the plans will come to fruition.

Unless this has all been a lizard people plan to track and trace us while there is no real threat.

Which scenario is more likely?

Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    pblakeney said:

Plan for the best scenario by all means but don’t assume that the plans will come to fruition.

Why are you wasting your knowledge on us? Go and tell the European governments who are clearly listening to less informed people than you.
  • pblakeney
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

Why are you wasting your knowledge on us? Go and tell the European governments who are clearly listening to less informed people than you.
    You didn't read the first sentence, did you?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • blazing_saddles
    pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

But you then again contradict your first sentence with negative assumptions and guesswork.

• pblakeney
    Everyone else is just guessing since no one knows what is happening far less what will happen. Believe what you wish. I hope you are right. I'm at the acceptance stage.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • RichN95.
    pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

I did. And you should have stopped there
  • bradsbeard
    bradsbeard Posts: 210
    Truth is a return to sporting events will enable some return to normality. Even if these events are closed doors or restricted.

Sport is an enormously important part of everyday life.

Personally I think they should start from the bottom up and allow grassroots football etc to resume.

In my humble opinion I cannot see the TdF NOT going ahead in August.

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

German football gets Merkel's green light for go, around the middle of this month.

Meanwhile, the UCI boss has mentioned the the D word again if the Tour doesn't go ahead.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racing/tour-de-france/uci-president-says-not-holding-the-tour-de-france-in-2020-would-be-a-disaster-as-he-shares-thoughts-on-new-worldtour-calendar-455458

Yes. 22 players behind closed doors for 90 mins is very similar to 176 riders being in close formation for 6 Hours a Day on the public roads.

Makes as much sense as us lifting some of the lockdown restrictions too soon.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited May 2020

pblakeney said:

nickice said:

Surprised?

Oh come on. You know I am a gigantic cycling fan. It's one of the few things I really really miss. Why would I not want it to happen?

• blazing_saddles
    edited May 2020
    fenix said:

Yes. 22 players behind closed doors for 90 mins is very similar to 176 riders being in close formation for 6 Hours a Day on the public roads.

You may like to note the name of this thread.
    Those two links appeared at the same time and were not intended to relate in any way.

• blazing_saddles
    Now here's one sport re-starting that I do scratch my head over.
    NZ expect to be able to introduce both a netball and rugby mini series in the very near future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/52573423
  • kingstongraham

NZ expect to be able to introduce both a netball and rugby mini series in the very near future.

New Zealand could pretty safely restart almost anything with a daily new case rate of about 1.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    fenix said:

22 players plus subs plus officials multiplied by however many games are played - not that different. Public roads makes little difference unless we have crowds packed watching .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2020

fenix said:

22 players plus subs plus officials multiplied by however many games are played - not that different. Public roads makes little difference unless we have crowds packed watching .
    Makes a difference if one person tests positive and all those who have come into contact with them need to isolate. (Not the public roads bit, the first bit.)
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398

fenix said:

And the different hotels, start towns etc they would be staying in every night.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

New Zealand could pretty safely restart almost anything with a daily new case rate of about 1.
    So long as it doesn't involve anyone from outside +NZ for the next few years.....
  • kingstongraham

So long as it doesn't involve anyone from outside +NZ for the next few years.....
    It's easier for NZ to choose to insist that anyone who arrives from an area riddled with it has to go through quarantine, but yes, it's a choice.
  • blazing_saddles

I would say that's now a gimme.

If scrums, rucks and mauls are OK, then social distancing rules are no longer being applied.
    Yet, the games will be played behind closed doors.
    Hence my head scratching remark.
  • kingstongraham

I would say that's now a gimme.

If scrums, rucks and mauls are OK, then social distancing rules are no longer being applied.
    Yet, the games will be played behind closed doors.
    Hence my head scratching remark.
    Going all-in on demolishing the curve.