Coronavirus and pro sport

Comments

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

Rigoberto Uran reckons that only 3 WT will survive if the Tour does not happen this year.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uran-three-worldtour-teams-could-survive-if-tour-de-france-is-cancelled/

So let's assume he's right, which are the 3 teams? Ineos obviously but can't think of two others that stand above the rest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    inseine said:

Rigoberto Uran reckons that only 3 WT will survive if the Tour does not happen this year.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uran-three-worldtour-teams-could-survive-if-tour-de-france-is-cancelled/

So let's assume he's right, which are the 3 teams? Ineos obviously but can't think of two others that stand above the rest
    Jumbo I think would be another.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658

inseine said:

Jumbo I think would be another.
    Presumably not Trek Segafredo... CV19 and retirement homes are not a good mix. :)
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    It must be the ones with sugar daddies. But I suspect he has no more idea than any of us who will be ok.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Movistar will be OK. Huge company. Telecoms are not badly effected
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    inseine said:

I wouldn't rely on Uran's opinions to be honest...
    left the forum March 2023
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    said the same yesterday. he has no knowledge of teams finances and it's just his opinion. Same as Valverde saying so no racing this year.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Is quite clear now as I said that various forms of social distancing will be in place for the next year.

Therefore I can’t see any chance of a top tier bike race breaking out.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Well they’re nothing if not optimistic:

Provisional dates sent to teams have Strade Bianche down as the first post-lockdown race on August 1, according to RTBF (link is external).

These plans are, presumably, very woolly, considering some level of social distancing is expected for the rest of the year.

They do perhaps give an indication of how things could be reorganised, should racing again become possible.

The Belgian public-service broadcaster reports that the first Monument of the season, Milan-San Remo, would be on Saturday August 8, followed by a four-day Criterium du Dauphiné and then the various national championships.

The Tour de France is pencilled in for August 29 to September 20 with the World Championships would still on its original dates (September 20 to 27).

The Ardennes classics would follow, with the Flèche Wallonne on September 30, Liège-Bastogne-Liège on October 4 and Amstel Gold on October 10, before moving into the cobbled classics.

Ghent-Wevelgem would be held on October 11, the Tour of Flanders on October 18 and Paris-Roubaix on October 25.

Most of these races would overlap with the Giro d’Italia, which would start in the first week of October, but finish before Paris-Roubaix.

The Tour of Lombardy would then be held on October 31, followed by the Vuelta a Espana from November 1.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Not. A chance.
  • blazing_saddles
    Looks like some live football is set to return to tv screens as the Bundesliga are ready to kick off on May 9th.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52379825
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Didn't realise this "German politics has recently decided that large events with crowds will be banned at least until 24 October. "
  • gweeds said:

Well they’re nothing if not optimistic:

Provisional dates sent to teams have Strade Bianche down as the first post-lockdown race on August 1, according to RTBF (link is external).

These plans are, presumably, very woolly, considering some level of social distancing is expected for the rest of the year.

They do perhaps give an indication of how things could be reorganised, should racing again become possible.

The Belgian public-service broadcaster reports that the first Monument of the season, Milan-San Remo, would be on Saturday August 8, followed by a four-day Criterium du Dauphiné and then the various national championships.

The Tour de France is pencilled in for August 29 to September 20 with the World Championships would still on its original dates (September 20 to 27).

The Ardennes classics would follow, with the Flèche Wallonne on September 30, Liège-Bastogne-Liège on October 4 and Amstel Gold on October 10, before moving into the cobbled classics.

Ghent-Wevelgem would be held on October 11, the Tour of Flanders on October 18 and Paris-Roubaix on October 25.

Most of these races would overlap with the Giro d’Italia, which would start in the first week of October, but finish before Paris-Roubaix.

The Tour of Lombardy would then be held on October 31, followed by the Vuelta a Espana from November 1.

French Government - August/September: return to normality including sports matches played before a crowd. Large public gatherings will not be allowed until at least mid-July.

If true and does not change the above French races will happen.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Just heard someone on the radio raise the very good point that if Liverpool win the premier league behind closed doors, I can't imagine the celebrations in Liverpool would adhere to social distancing guidelines.
  • blazing_saddles

Just heard someone on the radio raise the very good point that if Liverpool win the premier league behind closed doors, I can't imagine the celebrations in Liverpool would adhere to social distancing guidelines.

Tbh, I don't think it's a very good point at all.
    If we are going to engage in guessing the outcome game to try and anticipate gatherings, look at the alternative.

Declare the season null and void and I can imagine that instead of celebrations on the streets of Liverpool, you get the far less less pleasant alternative on those same streets.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

If the FA announced the season to be void I can't imagine the celebrations in Manchester would adhere to social Distancing guidelines.

I don't see much of a risk. No pubs open. No victory parade. Klopp is a sensible chap. Promise a parade when it's all over.
  • blazing_saddles
    Looks as if restarting sport is going to get a government fast track:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/52423767
  • fenix
    Ineos said that they won't risk their workers.

Might work for tennis or golf or weird sports.
  • gweeds
    Italians will be able to train outdoors again from May 4th.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • sherer
    F1 back from July but behind closed doors
  • blazing_saddles
    As I predicted, the 2020 Olympics will not be delayed further, but scrapped altogether.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/52453435
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Bear in mind that they are talking about the 2021 Olympics.
    The fact that they are even having discussions about 2021 does not bode well.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • sherer
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52460468

Cant see the tour going ahead on the dates listed now. Not sure if that's start of end of September though
  • gweeds
    Would seem to be the kiss of death for the Tour, and possibly with it a number of teams.
  • nickice
    nickice Posts: 2,439
    France has just announced no large sporting events before September. Not looking like the tour will happen
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,026
    French football cancelled their league too
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • fenix

As I predicted, the 2020 Olympics will not be delayed further, but scrapped altogether.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/52453435

But he was confident that they will go ahead in 2021. Fingers crossed.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    nickice said:

France has just announced no large sporting events before September. Not looking like the tour will happen

My first thought as well, but skysports implied in their report that concession was actually made in the announcement to open the possibility for the tour to commence at the end of August, with no or very few spectators for the first few stages.

With other countries preparing to restart some pro sports I am more confident the tour will go ahead now in some form. Although it depends on the next rise in virus cases - which to me seems inevitable when restrictions are relaxed and more movement is permitted.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The Tour is still four months away. Absolutely nobody knows what the situation will be like. Any pronouncements made now are subject to change. And if the race is OK to go ahead on September 1st, it will be OK to start on August 29th.
    Twitter: @RichN95