The Official UCI 2019 Yorkshire road World Championships ***Spoilers***

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    M.R.M. wrote:
    It's from him dominating on the road (arguable) and dominating WVA in cross and Schurter in MTB (not arguable)

But...again...he hasn't dominated. He's been very good, but in every discipline, he's not dominated.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Victory percentage of Mathieu van der Poel @mathieuvdpoel, a.k.a. The Cycling Cannibal Chameleon, in 2019 (in official races on UCI-calendar):

Cyclocross 12/12 = 100%

Mountainbike 14/16 = 87,5%

Road 7/16 (after stage victory in stage 1 #ArticRace) = 43,7%

Total 33/44 = 75%!!
    How much more would he have to win to be considered dominant (at least in cross and MTB)? And I get the point that there could and should be multiple Monuments in there to be the new Merckx, but he is just starting off.

Prior to 11km from the finish, would anyone have bet the house on him not winning from that 5 man selection, despite Italy having a numerical advantage?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • He's not dominated the road given Alaphilippe has had a better season on the road than him.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    I agree. Hence the post above stating his domination on the road is arguable. Arguable, because he has even won an inordinate amount of the races on the road that he attended. The case can certainly be made, but I agree that Alaphilippe certainly had a better season on the road.

Also, more than 1 person can be dominant in theory. See Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for example.
  • andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Any more news on what happened to VdP?

Was it not feeding enough?
    Hype meeting reality

I can’t really remember the last time a rider like that just went poof quite so suddenly.

Landis to La Toussuire in 2006?

Yeah though that was uphill.

Never really seen it in a one dayer.

Sagan in Roubaix this year was more gradual but his legs just faded in a similar way
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    Probably also fair to say that a bonk at this level, in that race, over that distance, in that weather, hits pretty hard.

Most of us have bonked at some point - and we all know that someone could put a gun to your head and you wouldn't be able to go any harder.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • MrBell
    MrBell Posts: 1
    Some of my Nova club mates were camped on the Otley Road. When I asked if they had seen the VdP collapse I got this reply -
    We did. Simon K caught his (VdP) musette too. It didn’t look like he’d touched it. So Simon had his lunch.
    Interesting to poke through it. We saw the contents of a Kazak rider’s musette as well. Both had a foil wrapped package of steamed ride with a hint of chocolate in it. It was tasty. Like a sweet and stodgy rice pudding/sticky rice.

Maybe he was feeling so good he decided he didn't need to eat and it came back to bite him.
  • ddraver wrote:

Not sure even he knows, cold+length+hard course+not enough food+mother nature is a b!tch sometimes = bonk

Not very switched on and showed lack of experience. I saw two Shell garages on that circuit. Two mars bars and a can of coke and he would have been back on it

PS a twix and a tube of polos will get you exactly from Macclesfield to Poynton
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    M.R.M. wrote:
    I agree. Hence the post above stating his domination on the road is arguable. Arguable, because he has even won an inordinate amount of the races on the road that he attended. The case can certainly be made, but I agree that Alaphilippe certainly had a better season on the road.

Also, more than 1 person can be dominant in theory. See Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for example.
    To continue the football comparison, Van der Poel is a striker who is scoring huge amounts of goals in the Championship. He has one World Tour win to his name (when Alaphilippe or Fuglsang should have won). There's every indication that he'll score goals in the Premiership, but you wouldn't pick him ahead of Kane or Sterling just yet

On Sunday he looked like a guy who believed the hype and just did too much work thinking he could blow people away and found out he couldn't

Winning big races is hard
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,465
    He was pulling some faces before his legs went. There was a shot of him gurning while Trentin was biting his lip looking like he was bored. Even the BBC commentators picked up on it.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    After 30 years of endurance sport I still haven't learned to ignore the 'I'm feeling good so I won't eat / drink in case it upsets my stomach / leads to me needing the toilet and costing me a PB'. I'm determined to trickle feed my way around my next marathon in a few weeks. When the pressure is on it gets difficult to find that suitable time to get something down you. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    ddraver wrote:

Not sure even he knows, cold+length+hard course+not enough food+mother nature is a b!tch sometimes = bonk

Not very switched on and showed lack of experience. I saw two Shell garages on that circuit. Two mars bars and a can of coke and he would have been back on it

:lol::lol:

To be fair to him he's ridden XCO for most of the summer (so 1.5hrs) and has a career racing CX (50mins to 1hr) so maybe he hasnt had a lot of experience. His break compatriots all have a GT or a glut Week tours in their legs this year, MvdP has done two since august...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

:lol::lol:

To be fair to him he's ridden XCO for most of the summer (so 1.5hrs) and has a career racing CX (50mins to 1hr) so maybe he hasnt had a lot of experience. His break compatriots all have a GT or a glut Week tours in their legs this year, MvdP has done two since august...

Yes less than half the racing miles of the top 3 and much less WT and no GT ( although Pedersen no GT either)
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Although Amstel (won) and Flanders (4th) are both as long and tough races so he had reason to believe he could go the distance. Hard to know, it did look like hunger knock but in that weather perhaps the muscles just fatigued faster. Lots of good riders went out the back of the bunch just due to the general wearing down process rather than attacks and once he could no longer hold a wheel psychologically it must be hard to keep pushing knowing there is no hope of a medal.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Early in the race there was a long chat with Rob Hayles about the watts lost by rainware, there was then shots of MvdP looking like the Michelin man in his inflated jacket.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    VDP should have done his zip up. simples.

anyway when I saw him on the part of the course past the flip flap turn and the steady uphill bit he was fine-ish with 2 laps to go then looked like he was running out of steam, and so sure enough he bonked. last lap (and dropped) he was twiddling a tiny gear trying to keep warm. when he went past us we (the folk I was with) said how ill he looked.

works out trentin may have cramped in his launch in the finale. its a classic, stand up, smash the gear then realise your hamstring has nothing left, cue the sit down of shame!

Ride of the day from Pedersen and Kung. frankly anyone that lasted that course/ weather was pretty hard.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    I recall some discussion on BBC feed about finding time to get their jackets off on the last lap to show their national colours for the line. Or was that after he popped?
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,131
    M.R.M. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    That is laughable. He has been outstanding in pretty much every race this season. He bonked here and maybe he will learn from it, but it was his (almost) winning move (that Trentin followed at 32 km to go) and as the past has shown, he was in excellent position to win (to outsprint those remaining in the break). Acting like he is a flash in the pan is ludicrous if you look at his win rate alone.
    He had a good spring were he won some races outsprinting the likes of Simon Clarke and Anthony Turgis. And he won the Tour of Britain outsprinting Trentin. He's talented, but let's not make out he's the world's greatest ever cyclist just yet.

And he lost to a 'surprise' winner who was second in the Tour of Flanders aged 22. But his family isn't famous.
    Somewhat valid points, but you can also say you beat the opposition you face. That Amstel win didn't just have Clarke. It also had Alaphilippe, Kwiatkowski, Fuglsang etc.
    You're selectively omitting that to further your point. Look at his win rate and compare it to others. The hype doesn't just purely come from his lineage (Poulidor, Adrie). It's from him dominating on the road (arguable) and dominating WVA in cross and Schurter in MTB (not arguable).
    Again, show me another rider with his win rate across all disciplines with the amount of races he has done.

Simple, there isn't another rider. World Tour race, World Cup CX, World Cup MTB XCO/ XCC all in less than 8 months......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193
    Just caught up on the Men's U23 race on iPlayer and, disregarding the DQ shenanigans, that was a cracking bike race.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,465
    r0bh wrote:
    Just caught up on the Men's U23 race on iPlayer and, disregarding the DQ shenanigans, that was a cracking bike race.

Best race of the year.

I'd like to see the men's worlds be held on a short, savage course one year.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    gsk82 wrote:
    r0bh wrote:

Best race of the year.

I'd like to see the men's worlds be held on a short, savage course one year.

tenor.gif
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 480
    Guardian's inside-the-bus report from the Australian team makes for interesting reading:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/01/downpours-forensic-analysis-and-lots-of-pasta-on-the-team-bus-at-the-cycling-worlds

Liked this. A bit syrupy at the end but good view in their tactics.

Clearly many teams had similar plans - interesting to know what the others were and where they went wrong. Belgians probably not interesting than the Slovaks!
  • m.r.m.
    RichN95 wrote:
    On Sunday he looked like a guy who believed the hype and just did too much work thinking he could blow people away and found out he couldn't

Winning big races is hard
    I can agree with this. :)
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm impressed that Betancur has managed to pass Betty's so many times
    Post of the Worlds
  • BM5 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Post of the Worlds

The fat rascal
  • Watched the first 6 laps from the old beck climb just down from the crazy Dutch. What a race, the riders looked absolutely shattered on the first pass. Then watched the last 3 from the climb just past the pump house so I was closer to the station. Miserable conditions to watch a race in let alone ride in it. Might not have been the most exciting race ever but was great to watch from the road. Umbrellas aside.

Also that's my first time watching on a hill where you part to let the riders through. Nearly got run over by the convoy a couple of times surprised there aren't more incidents of that. One clipped my arm with a wing mirror when I was watching the tail of the peleton go up the hill. Also LLS looks bloody good on a bike despite my dislike of him generally
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,597
    dave milne wrote:
    Also that's my first time watching on a hill where you part to let the riders through. Nearly got run over by the convoy a couple of times surprised there aren't more incidents of that. One clipped my arm with a wing mirror when I was watching the tail of the peloton go up the hill. Also LLS looks bloody good on a bike despite my dislike of him generally

Yes, I experienced that on Saturday. The cars are taking no prisoners, and I also came close to getting caught out at the speed the individual leading women were coming through.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    :D
    BM5 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Post of the Worlds

The fat rascal
    :D (my favourite actually (rascal rather than Betancur))
  • A good day for me is 80 miles in Wensleydale and Swaledale followed by a rosti ,two fat rascals and a hot milk with nutmeg at Betty's. Sleep is never a problem :)
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    CarbonClem wrote:
    dave milne wrote:
    Also that's my first time watching on a hill where you part to let the riders through. Nearly got run over by the convoy a couple of times surprised there aren't more incidents of that. One clipped my arm with a wing mirror when I was watching the tail of the peloton go up the hill. Also LLS looks bloody good on a bike despite my dislike of him generally
    Yes, I experienced that on Saturday. The cars are taking no prisoners, and I also came close to getting caught out at the speed the individual leading women were coming through.
    You realise that you're stood in the middle of the road during a race, right? :) But yeah, its quite impressive that the riders and drivers manage to get through without anyone being taken out.

It was a great atmosphere on Sunday despite the rain. Those of you who were there might be able to spot yourselves in this photo!

48835882861_de9e98012f_b.jpg