The Official UCI 2019 Yorkshire road World Championships ***Spoilers***

Comments

• tonyf34
    tonyf34 Posts: 194
    gsk82 wrote:
    tonyf34 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Surprised so many people were calling it early having seen the last couple of days.
    Quite, even Boardman et al were banking that MT was going to win this, it's never over until it's over and today was a brutal course as shown by vdP absolutely bonking like a newbie!
    Superb course choice and glad the weather was what it was, it really sorts out the top, top riders.

They were also suggesting Sagan could bring back 50 seconds in 500 metres though.
    I don't think they were quite saying that from the way I heard it but yeah, he was never getting anywhere near and if he'd gone at the bell he would have been covered and it back to square one. I think though that those in the chasing group were just as much in the red as everyone else so really hard to criticise the Belgian's, German's etc for not bringing it back, it was just a massively sapping race.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,574
    ddraver wrote:
    Rochelle's make up still on fleek...

As has been said before she's got bad scarring that is being covered up.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    tonyf34 wrote:
    TGH is absolutely broken, good effort son.
    Commentator, just leave it, you've asked him three times now ffs!

that was a bike crash of an interview

"so did you enjoy the ride?"
    "mate, 7 hours in the saddle, rain, freezing cold"

"the scenery in Yorkshire is nice though?"
    "mate, 7 hours on a bike in freezing conditions in torrential rain"

"yeah but apart from that, the crowds they were great weren't they"
    "mate, yeah, I appreciate people who spent 7 hours in freezing rain to watch a bike race"

"well have a nice warm cup of tea now eh?"
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    tonyf34 wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    tonyf34 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Surprised so many people were calling it early having seen the last couple of days.
    Quite, even Boardman et al were banking that MT was going to win this, it's never over until it's over and today was a brutal course as shown by vdP absolutely bonking like a newbie!
    Superb course choice and glad the weather was what it was, it really sorts out the top, top riders.

They were also suggesting Sagan could bring back 50 seconds in 500 metres though.
    I don't think they were quite saying that from the way I heard it but yeah, he was never getting anywhere near and if he'd gone at the bell he would have been covered and it back to square one. I think though that those in the chasing group were just as much in the red as everyone else so really hard to criticise the Belgian's, German's etc for not bringing it back, it was just a massively sapping race.

You're right, they said he'd left it too late and had no chance of closing the gap.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    Lot of tob riders at the front end of that race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    ddraver wrote:
    Subtext of Sagan on the BBC - "FFS do I really have to do an interview now? I did naff all!! Leave me alone!!"

Likewise TGH is clearly frozen cold, let him warm up and then speak to him

medias got to media though, yeah the questions are banal,the answers well we aint learning nowt from them :lol: but what can you do the beeb arent used to covering road races and resorting to their theres a story to tell narrative and that involves sticking a microphone in front of riders who really just want to be elsewhere warming up.
  • Mad_Malx wrote:
    It’s Mads OCDuPalais then?

:) It's Matteo, Its Matteo, it;'s Matteo. It's Mads :shock:
  • I don’t have access to the BBC, but it always stuns me that professional journalists who’ve had hours to prepare for an interview ask such vapid questions when they get their chance. I guess it’s just the laziness that you see in all professions.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Rochelle's make up still on fleek...

As has been said before she's got bad scarring that is being covered up.

Oh I didn't know that... thought she was just Aussie!

Everyone very glad the Danish Anthem is a short one...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    I don’t have access to the BBC, but it always stuns me that professional journalists who’ve had hours to prepare for an interview ask such vapid questions when they get their chance. I guess it’s just the laziness that you see in all professions.

The guy doing the interviews is just a clueless fool. I can only think that he has done family connections that have got him to where he is.

He's certainly brought his invictus games "get them to tell their story" attitude with him
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ddraver
    awavey wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Subtext of Sagan on the BBC - "FFS do I really have to do an interview now? I did naff all!! Leave me alone!!"

Likewise TGH is clearly frozen cold, let him warm up and then speak to him

medias got to media though, yeah the questions are banal,the answers well we aint learning nowt from them :lol: but what can you do the beeb arent used to covering road races and resorting to their theres a story to tell narrative and that involves sticking a microphone in front of riders who really just want to be elsewhere warming up.

I know, and I know it's typical BBC cyclo-ineptitude, but bless him he has so many of the things during July, just let him off this time...
    - @ddraver
  • That was fantastic.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Paging notadoctor!
    Theres some pretty smashed Danes walking around Harrogate now
  • bobmcstuff
    Sagans bus getting mobbed
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    @cyclocross24
    Mathieu van der Poel on Dutch TV: "It was tough, very cold all day. I felt pretty good, but suddenly I was empty. A knock, or something what looks like it, I couldn't hardly pedal anymore. I think I ate enough. It happened suddenly, even for myself, I don't have an explanation."
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565

So he’s fighting it.

Weird flex.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    Surprised at people saying how cold it was (and the shivering riders suggest it was). It was lashing down here first thing but was 19 degrees at lunchtime.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    It’s that wet cold that gets into the bones I think. Plus that wind.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ddraver
    Sagan-centric as ever but watch Valgren...

https://twitter.com/UCI_cycling/status/ ... 67520?s=09
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Not gonna lie, I’m quite wet and cold.

Couldn’t believe when I heard vdP had blown up.

Looked the best of all the riders by miles, even about 10 mins before he blew up.

Lots of riders coming in with chattering teeth: they all looked f@cked from 4 laps to go.

I was on the exit of the final corner and every time GvA was leaving a gap.
  • Just back from watching at Dutch corner (which wasn't a corner). What an epic day! A bit like a wet bike ride - once you're soaked through you stop feeling the rain. Basically like a mini-eurovision. Felt for them when MVDP didn't come through, but there were plenty of Danes keeping the atmosphere going! War of attrition - a race that the riders will remember for a long time I think
  • bobmcstuff
    Not gonna lie, I’m quite wet and cold.

Couldn’t believe when I heard vdP had blown up.

Looked the best of all the riders by miles, even about 10 mins before he blew up.

Lots of riders coming in with chattering teeth: they all looked f@cked from 4 laps to go.

I was on the exit of the final corner and every time GvA was leaving a gap.
    Yeah I'm freezing my knackers off.

We were watching at dutch corner on the climb for a bit and there were some major pain faces.
  • bobmcstuff
    Pross wrote:
    Surprised at people saying how cold it was (and the shivering riders suggest it was). It was lashing down here first thing but was 19 degrees at lunchtime.
    Says 12c here on bbc. Its freezing though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    You could see everyone’s breath. Was cold.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Here's a bit of Links Rechts from Harrogate

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FuxPDvNtdiZVUTqd8
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    I'm assuming the OranjePolitie were Dutch..?
    - @ddraver
  • You could see everyone’s breath. Was cold.

Can second that it was cold. Quite windy too at times. After multiple trips into the outdoor shop my daughter ended up wearing a thermal base layer, t-shirt, thick fleece, thick gilet, ski jacket and gloves, as well as her waterproof trousers over her jeans and a thick hat. She was still cold, but at least I couldn't hear her complaining due to the muffling effect of all those layers.

Absolutely brilliant day though - we were on the slight bend in Parliament Street that allowed us to see everyone working up the hill and then all the way to the finish. Was great to watch the race develop, helped by a knowledgeable Dutch cycling fan next to us, and I've already been asked if we can ride out to see some more racing next year. The groan when vdP went was quite awesome too - just absolute disbelief around us.
  • Double leg puncture

Proper LOLs :lol::lol::lol::lol: 8) 8)