The Official UCI 2019 Yorkshire road World Championships ***Spoilers***

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Got Links Rechts running on a loop in my head.

It'll get annoying soon
  • bobmcstuff wrote:
    Got Links Rechts running on a loop in my head.

It'll get annoying soon

I have the perfect cure for that earworm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeFfYkz3LKM
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • CarbonClem wrote:
    I was at ‘Dutch Corner’ on Saturday and it was awesome , however I spent the afternoon today (Sunday) in the Starling watching on TV. After a soaking on Friday, on Saturday night and then Sunday morning, I gave up.
    Great weekend though.

We were the opposite, started in the Starling till about 80K to go then headed out. Bloody freezing. But great atmosphere all round town.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Anyone chatted about the kit riders wore?

Plenty looked pretty underdressed to me, but I am no expert.

Also, since the UCI is in it for the aesthetics judging by their sock rules (and rightly do) can’t they make it a rule that at World Tour and Worlds events the rain jersey must be the same colour and graphic design as the actual jersey.

Also - Pedersen made his first move at 47km. Oof.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Good luck with that on the Shakedry stuff.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Anyone chatted about the kit riders wore?
    I saw someone say that Castroviejo was worried that he might not be able to use non-national kit, so he had blacked out the I,N and O of his Ineos issue Gabba.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    MrB123 wrote:

Is that why they’re all black?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    MrB123 wrote:

Yes if they're using Gore shakedry fabric as the only colour is black, but they weren't all using that - plenty of other branded jackets being used.
  • rick_chasey
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    MrB123 wrote:

Yes if they're using Gore shakedry fabric as the only colour is black, but they weren't all using that - plenty of other branded jackets being used.

Fair.

I stand by my suggestion.
  • Guardian's inside-the-bus report from the Australian team makes for interesting reading:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/01/downpours-forensic-analysis-and-lots-of-pasta-on-the-team-bus-at-the-cycling-worlds

interesting? it must have been edited.
  • rick_chasey
    Any more news on what happened to VdP?

Was it not feeding enough?
  • RichN95.
    For those interested in kit, here's a run down of who was using the pro team buses:

GB: Ineos
    Belgium: Quick Step
    France: AG2R
    Netherlands: Liv CCC
    Italy: They seem to have their own one
    Colombia: UAE
    South Africa: Di Data
    Denmark: Sunweb
    Germany: Bora
    USA: Boels Dolman
    Norway: Had a big bus, can't remember which one
    Slovakia: Bora camper van
    Kazakhstan: Astana camper van - no big bus.
    Sweden, Ireland, Slovenia: Team liveried camper vans
    Canada, Portugal: Unbranded camper vans
    Ecuador: A rented people carrier.
  • RichN95.

Hype meeting reality
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    That is laughable. He has been outstanding in pretty much every race this season. He bonked here and maybe he will learn from it, but it was his (almost) winning move (that Trentin followed at 32 km to go) and as the past has shown, he was in excellent position to win (to outsprint those remaining in the break). Acting like he is a flash in the pan is ludicrous if you look at his win rate alone.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:

Hype meeting reality

I can’t really remember the last time a rider like that just went poof quite so suddenly.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    M.R.M. wrote:
    That is laughable. He has been outstanding in pretty much every race this season. He bonked here and maybe he will learn from it, but it was his (almost) winning move (that Trentin followed at 32 km to go) and as the past has shown, he was in excellent position to win (to outsprint those remaining in the break). Acting like he is a flash in the pan is ludicrous if you look at his win rate alone.

Was Kung's move (with Craddock) that Pederson then bridged to. MvdP and Trentin were late to the party after they both had team mates bridge (Teunissen and Moscon).
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    RichN95 wrote:

Hype meeting reality

I can’t really remember the last time a rider like that just went poof quite so suddenly.

Landis to La Toussuire in 2006?
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Hype meeting reality

Landis to La Toussuire in 2006?

Yeah though that was uphill.

Never really seen it in a one dayer.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited September 2019

Not sure even he knows, cold+length+hard course+not enough food+mother nature is a b!tch sometimes = bonk
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    Pross wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Was Kung's move (with Craddock) that Pederson then bridged to. MvdP and Trentin were late to the party after they both had team mates bridge (Teunissen and Moscon).
    I'm aware. That was 47 km to go I think. I worded that poorly. What I meant was, it was MvdP's move that took Trentin to The other 3 and made the final selection. Regardless, the point remains.
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:

Not sure even he knows, cold+length+hard course+not enough food+mother nature is a b!tch sometimes = bonk

I cannot emphasise enough how good he was looking about 10 mins before, and each time I saw him before that.

Everyone where I was standing was properly shocked - of all the riders he looked least likely.
  • ddraver
    On the TV too, In my head I'd basically given him the win.

I can't find the tweet but I saw a line from an interview with him and he said something similar to the above. He's got no idea either...
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    He had a good spring were he won some races outsprinting the likes of Simon Clarke and Anthony Turgis. And he won the Tour of Britain outsprinting Trentin. He's talented, but let's not make out he's the world's greatest ever cyclist just yet.

And he lost to a 'surprise' winner who was second in the Tour of Flanders aged 22. But his family isn't famous.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    ddraver wrote:

I cannot emphasise enough how good he was looking about 10 mins before, and each time I saw him before that.

Everyone where I was standing was properly shocked - of all the riders he looked least likely.

Classic bonk though isn't it? You're going along feeling fine and then the lights go out, it's not a gradual thing in my experience (which has been too frequent). On a club run a quick stop to stuff your face and you're good to go again, that's not a luxury you have in the last few Kms of a World Champs though unfortunately for MvdP.
  • ddraver
    I must refer you all to the MvdP "surprise" discussion podcast I mentioned back in April...

He has ever been an exceptional talent but he is human. WvA nicking World Champions jerseys out from under his nose was a regular occurrence. MvdP may be the only person who suffers from the curse of the rainbow jersey for the years preceding him winning it...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Cosmo - https://cyclocosm.com/2019/09/how-the-r ... -elite-rr/

Womens is linked below too, not really much for him to discuss about that one though...
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    RichN95 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:
    He had a good spring were he won some races outsprinting the likes of Simon Clarke and Anthony Turgis. And he won the Tour of Britain outsprinting Trentin. He's talented, but let's not make out he's the world's greatest ever cyclist just yet.

And he lost to a 'surprise' winner who was second in the Tour of Flanders aged 22. But his family isn't famous.
    Somewhat valid points, but you can also say you beat the opposition you face. That Amstel win didn't just have Clarke. It also had Alaphilippe, Kwiatkowski, Fuglsang etc.
    You're selectively omitting that to further your point. Look at his win rate and compare it to others. The hype doesn't just purely come from his lineage (Poulidor, Adrie). It's from him dominating on the road (arguable) and dominating WVA in cross and Schurter in MTB (not arguable).
    Again, show me another rider with his win rate across all disciplines with the amount of races he has done.

Some people have an instinctive dislike of hyped stuff. Maybe we all have a bit of that. I never read Harry Potter because I felt the hype was excessive. I don't pass off that feeling as fact though. :P :wink:
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Classic bonk though isn't it? You're going along feeling fine and then the lights go out, it's not a gradual thing in my experience (which has been too frequent). On a club run a quick stop to stuff your face and you're good to go again, that's not a luxury you have in the last few Kms of a World Champs though unfortunately for MvdP.

it looked like it, as he fell back to the peloton you could see he was just spinning in that the legs have gone mode we've all experienced :) and he has said whilst he was eating and drinking,and the drinking bit in those conditions is the thing you have to force yourself to do because you wouldnt feel remotely thirsty, but he also said he couldnt get warm.

so he was burning more calories to keep warm as well as keeping on top of the efforts,and especially if he was shivering as thats muscle twitching movement,so i reckon that was just it he'd got the fuel for the distance/efforts, but not the extra to keep the body warm enough as well, because their strava uploads have all been around 7,000/8,000 calories level which is just a normal TdF stage and they all manage that normally without probs, expect the temps alot warmer, so they must have been pushing a higher consumption that stravas not going to be able to calculate.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Rich was also keen to put the dampeners on those getting excited about Evenepoel earlier this year when that young, overhyped fatty was going to get schooled by the vets in the big boy races.
    Here’s Blazing Saddles’s
    Favourites 2019 Clásica de San Sebastián

***** Simon Yates, Julian Alaphilippe, Egan Bernal
    **** Greg Van Avermaet, Mikel Landa, Adam Yates
    *** Alejandro Valverde, Bauke Mollema, Michael Woods
    ** Gregor Mühlberger, Tadej Pogacar, Rigoberto Uran, Daniel Martin
    * David Gaudu, Tony Gallopin, Giulio Ciccone, Tim Wellens

Lucky win for Remco there - like MVDP’s jammy showings against piss-poor competition all year. Good job he’ll be back to arsing about in the mud with clowns all winter.