TDF 2019, Stage 20: Albertville > Val Thorens 27/07/2019 - 130 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Moutiers has a pizza vending machine in the carrefour car park. Classy.

And this is why I love this forum.
    I spent 3 days bedridden in Moutiers hospital with a fractured vertebra. It was bleak and dark and horrid.

Also you think a French hospital would have nice food, but no, it's awful.
  • bobmcstuff
    Thomas post stage interview with ITV saying he was 100% for Bernal now.
    ddraver wrote:
    Still waiting for ITV to post the highlights from today though so I havent seen...

Yes, where are the highlights? As I missed today's craziness, I was looking forward to watching.
    The 7pm highlights have recorded fine for me?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    bobmcstuff wrote:

I spent 3 days bedridden in Moutiers hospital with a fractured vertebra. It was bleak and dark and horrid.

Also you think a French hospital would have nice food, but no, it's awful.

Also useful information.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Still waiting for ITV to post the highlights from today though so I havent seen...

Yes, where are the highlights? As I missed today's craziness, I was looking forward to watching.

I can't find them on the hub.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

I can't find them on the hub.

O I C

Showing on le hub for me though?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Just appeared on the hub
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,326

You're there now, aren't you?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    Hearing that the route is changing :

https://mobile.twitter.com/LeTour/statu ... 9048589317
  • d_o_g
    d_o_g Posts: 286
    edited July 2019
    I'm an idiot... Missed the post 3 below this one!
  • That's gone from feeling incredible anticipation this morning to feeling a bit weirded out this evening
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    D O G wrote:
    I'm an idiot... Missed the post 3 below this one!

Not to mention an entire thread.
    Don't worry, you are not alone. See today's stage thread latest posts. :)
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    davidof wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    I almost can't bear to watch the stage tomorrow, the excitement is going to be unbearable.

There is rain forecast for here (and that usually means landslides) so I think I'll get to watch it. :D

You already had them, the road to Grenoble has been blocked since this morning.

Not the Briançon side of the Lautaret thankfully, but if it rains tomorrow I fully expect them.

If it's the same one it was blocked the evening of the Valloire stage.
    I was on the Galibier yesterday between the 1km and 2km markers to kom. We rode there from Bourg area and when returning expected a nice long (50km ish) descent. It was chaos, two landslides between La Grave and the Chambon tunnel completely blocked the road. Climbed over them while some rocks and slate were still coming down, scary stuff and was glad to finally get back to Venosc :shock:
  • diplodicus
    diplodicus Posts: 711
    Just to add, thamk you BS for these threads. They are a really useful resource when watching the stages "delayed live"
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,923
    If it's the same finish as for the Etape, from 500m to 100m to go it's gravel & 13%. Seconds to be gained or lost there potentially.

The climb is long and some steep sections on the first part, and it is so, so long.

Same the second descent has gone, BUT that would have been horrendous in the rain as so technical.

They were also concerned that the bridge on the main road through Bourg St M was going to get washed away earlier this evening.

Thunder storms still ringing around Meribel at the moment.
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:
    Just appeared on the hub

Yes. I have now caught up!

You're there now, aren't you?

No south, in Briançon, there's many a pizza in a car park to be found between here and Moutiers.
  • Now it's a super short stage, will they set off later to give the same (ish) finish time as usual? Or set off at the normal time and finish early?
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    If it's the same finish as for the Etape, from 500m to 100m to go it's gravel & 13%. Seconds to be gained or lost there potentially.

The climb is long and some steep sections on the first part, and it is so, so long.

Same the second descent has gone, BUT that would have been horrendous in the rain as so technical.

They were also concerned that the bridge on the main road through Bourg St M was going to get washed away earlier this evening.

Thunder storms still ringing around Meribel at the moment.

Yes, I am wondering why they aren't starting at the bottom of the Roseland instead.

Albertville paid money for the start?
    Because after all they are now using a road that wasn't in the original route, so the talk of road closures being an issue is a little odd now (although the road they will ride is a small road with hardly any cars.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,232

The team bike sponsors are missing a trick here: push for the stage to carry on as planned and get the riders to swap over to the gravel bikes they’ve been trying to flog us for the past two years.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    B0llox
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    To be fair, if the stage had finished yesterday Bernal might have a 4 minute lead, at least there is some interest today!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Looking at today's weather forecast, the whole show might get washed away.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Craigus89 wrote:
    To be fair, if the stage had finished yesterday Bernal might have a 4 minute lead, at least there is some interest today!

Bullshit! He might have blown up on Tignes and Thomas be in yellow.

He hasn't won a stage yet, so if he wants to put his stamp on this victory and not be thought of as a lucky winner he needs to win today.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Looking at today's weather forecast, the whole show might get washed away.
    Looking a lot better at the moment.
    https://twitter.com/robhatchtv/status/1 ... 4009542657
  • above_the_cows
    And we finally have rain and thunder here in Briançon. I was planning on a short ride that takes in a road renowned for land/mudslides when it rains, and after watching yesterday's stage clips, I don't think I want to get caught in one of those so no. Book time.

The wind is blowing from the south so if this moves north there could be interesting weather for the stage today.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,938
    Why would it not be possible to lengthen the stage by doing the climb more than once?
    Is it a dead end mountain top finish?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Why would it not be possible to lengthen the stage by doing the climb more than once?
    Is it a dead end mountain top finish?

Yep. Pretty much a dead end..

https://youtu.be/ljVpR112bvM

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Decision at 12 as to whether the stage will happen at all.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Craigus89 wrote:

Bullshit! He might have blown up on Tignes and Thomas be in yellow.

He hasn't won a stage yet, so if he wants to put his stamp on this victory and not be thought of as a lucky winner he needs to win today.
    He's hardly a new Walkowiak though. For that matter, neither was Walkowiak - from what I've read one of the all-time smartest TdF wins.
  • above_the_cows
    If the stage doesn't happen, Yoyo Offroado will be pleased he doesn't have to defend his slender 3 second lead over Sebastian Langeveld in the Lanterne Rouge.