TDF 2019, Stage 20: Albertville > Val Thorens 27/07/2019 - 130 km *Spoilers*

1111213141517»

Comments

• thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I’d say that <10% pick the correct winner going into the final three mountain stages is a decent argument for it being a good race. Obviously that’s somewhat dampened by how the last two stages turned out though.

Pinot vs Bernal over the full parcours would’ve been great to watch over the last two days. It could’ve been a great race, but then you could probably say “if x hadn’t happened it would’ve been great” about most races!

There was also plenty of attacking in the race I watched - in fact almost excessive amounts for the Tour!
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    hypster wrote:
    This is all starting to get a bit weird I think. People are saying it was good because the racing was close but no big attacks. So what do we want then big attacks which could lead to big gaps and so the racing isn't so close? Obviously not. What we want is loads of attacks from various riders all taking time out of each other and an ebb and flow right to the wire.

In that case I blame Alaphilippe for dominating this race and holding on to the yellow jersey for too long and stiffling any real racing.

No big attacks? Was I watching the same Pinot that you lot were?

And Bernal went hard with a good 30km to go before the stage was shortened.

I agree with you Rick. I was just trying to reflect what a lot of the naysayers were obviously overlooking. If stage 19 hadn't been curtailed the attack from Bernal and Simon Yates going with him could have been epic. I suppose some people would have complained that Ineos were ruining the race again if Bernal had ended up with a three minute lead after that.

Alternatively we could have been witness to Kruijswijk and Buchmann being forrced to dramatically claw back time on the final climb and dragging Bernal back. I suspect a lot of the negativity is due to people's frustration the way the final two stages were affected by the weather and obviously Pinot being taken out.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    awavey wrote:
    I dont know, ifs and buts and maybes...but I like to think the summary of the whole tour so far can be summed up by this fans passion, saw it during the stage coverage,almost commented on it, but thought wow shes passionate to the max to that moment :D it was when Alaphillipe was passing had already shipped enough time to be off the podium
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1155121277939724289

Wey hey someone got a clip of her. We commented on her at the time, she's glorious! <3
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    With the exception of JA who I believe would have slipped out of the top 10, I'd say the stage amendments had no effect on the final order
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Don't know about being the best, but it has been my favourite Tour. Enjoyed it way more than any other I have watched. PTP added massively to the enjoyment and it being open ended for as long as it was. I think the weather stopped it from truly being all time great, unfortunately. Went out with a bit of a whimper.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023