TDF 2019, Stage 20: Albertville > Val Thorens 27/07/2019 - 130 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 17,054
    RichN95 wrote:
    According to the tweet Inrng quoted. 60km stage, Val Thorens climb only. Exact route undecided. 2.30 Start (French time)

a disappointing end to the tour if so
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,142
    Colombian Nelson Rodriguez outsprinted breakaway companion Piotr Urgumov of Latvia.

that was the biggest wheelsuck in history Nelson stuck to ugramovs wheel for the entire stage as piotr went long

didn't come through once. nelson never won anything ever again i think?

got a lot of stick... strange day that was. the gruppetto came in way way way outside the limit by a big margin.

Rolf Sorenson manfully fought to make the cut and was miffed when they reinstated them.. if they hadn't only about 70 riders would have made it to Paris

rolf was super annoyed the next day not being able to make the fight to get into the transition day break which was made up with riders who came in outside the time limit at Val Thorens

He should've upped his EPO dose that night.
  • mididoctors
    andyp wrote:
    Colombian Nelson Rodriguez outsprinted breakaway companion Piotr Urgumov of Latvia.

that was the biggest wheelsuck in history Nelson stuck to ugramovs wheel for the entire stage as piotr went long

didn't come through once. nelson never won anything ever again i think?

got a lot of stick... strange day that was. the gruppetto came in way way way outside the limit by a big margin.

Rolf Sorenson manfully fought to make the cut and was miffed when they reinstated them.. if they hadn't only about 70 riders would have made it to Paris

rolf was super annoyed the next day not being able to make the fight to get into the transition day break which was made up with riders who came in outside the time limit at Val Thorens

He should've upped his EPO dose that night.

probably did..the problem was everyone else had the same idea
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,401
    TDF Twitter account:

After taking off from Albertville, the stage will go on the N90 road to head directly to Moutiers and then go on the initial end of stage at the N90 – D915 roundabout, 36kms from the finish.
    The start will be given in Albertville at 14:30 for a total distance of 59kms.

All the intial sporting points will be withdrawn except the KOM standings at the finish in Val Thorens.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    What a shame. The best Tour since 89 going out with a whimper.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Moutiers has a pizza vending machine in the carrefour car park. Classy.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,472
    RichN95 wrote:
    According to the tweet Inrng quoted. 60km stage, Val Thorens climb only. Exact route undecided. 2.30 Start (French time)

Im sure i said a couple of days ago that the French would find a way of getting rid of the mountains. But too late for their boy though
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,896
    My beautiful thread.
    That alternative route is the absolute pits.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    My beautiful thread.
    That alternative route is the absolute pits.

The technical term for it is.

Complete Bumwash
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    edited July 2019
    TdF website showing that Bernal not wearing the Mallot Jaune tomorrow despite being in the lead.

Jersey Wearers
    E. BERNAL 2 INS
    worn by J. ALAPHILIPPE DQT
    P. SAGAN 11 BOH
    R. BARDET 31 ALM
    E. BERNAL 2 INS

https://racecenter.letour.fr/#/stageprofile
  • mididoctors
    amazing race.
  • mididoctors
    the right guy won
  • mididoctors
    TdF website showing that Bernal not wearing the Mallot Jaune tomorrow despite being in the lead.

Jersey Wearers
    E. BERNAL 2 INS
    P. SAGAN 11 BOH
    R. BARDET 31 ALM
    E. BERNAL 2 INS

weird?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    yeah, no I think me and ddraver were questioning the idea that VT is the best ski resort in the world because it patently isn't!

Indeed yes, as we shall see tomorrow, given that there will be nothing else to look at, despite the acceptable (but far from epic) skiing available (in sun), the resort is a ghastly monstrosity of tower blocks built in the middle of nowhere. It really is about as bad as ski resorts get in terms of visual and environmental impact...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,401
    Updated profile :cry:

EAbWS1EX4AMpFFa?format=jpg&name=medium
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366

Jersey Wearers
    E. BERNAL 2 INS
    P. SAGAN 11 BOH
    R. BARDET 31 ALM
    E. BERNAL 2 INS

It would be the correct decision if Ineos don't wear the yellow jersey tomorrow.A massive opportunity to show some class.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937

Last 1km is gravel and well over 10% if its what l'etape used last week. Definitely seconds up for grabs at least.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    john1967 wrote:

It would be the correct decision if Ineos don't wear the yellow jersey tomorrow.A massive opportunity to show some class.

Why? Why should Alaphilippe wear it?

He was having his backside handed to him today and he would've been 5 minutes down at the end. 45 seconds or whatever flatters him.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • blazing_saddles

Who broke my feckin' hockey stick? :oops: :evil:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,172
    edited July 2019
    john1967 wrote:

Jersey Wearers
    E. BERNAL 2 INS
    P. SAGAN 11 BOH
    R. BARDET 31 ALM
    E. BERNAL 2 INS

Nonsense. Alaphilppe didn't crash or anything. He'd lost two minutes and his jersey by the top of the penultimate climb and was only going to lose more.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Garbage.

Still on the bright side I'm hardly going to miss anything not being able to watch.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,172

Who broke my feckin' hockey stick? :oops: :evil:
    That's more like a broomstick
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Garbage.

Still on the bright side I'm hardly going to miss anything not being able to watch.

Am I the only one who thinks a short sharp dash up a mountain could suit Allaphillipe..?

Still waiting for ITV to post the highlights from today though so I havent seen...
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Garbage.

Am I the only one who thinks a short sharp dash up a mountain could suit Allaphillipe..?

Still waiting for ITV to post the highlights from today though so I havent seen...
    No, I think it does, but I dont see him taking back 45s or whatever it is on Bernal who is also pretty explosive and is clearly the best climber in the race.
  • blazing_saddles
    ddraver wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Garbage.

How do you dash up 34kms at 5.5%?
    Sounds more like a very slow death to me.

Still, I expect common sense to fly out the window and we will have the usual mad charge to form a break that is likely to last about 20 minutes.
    Me? I'd say lets toodle along at 30kph and save our energy for the long crawl.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Moutiers has a pizza vending machine in the carrefour car park. Classy.

And this is why I love this forum.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    davidof wrote:
    hypster wrote:
    I almost can't bear to watch the stage tomorrow, the excitement is going to be unbearable.

There is rain forecast for here (and that usually means landslides) so I think I'll get to watch it. :D

You already had them, the road to Grenoble has been blocked since this morning.

Not the Briançon side of the Lautaret thankfully, but if it rains tomorrow I fully expect them.
  • ddraver
    ^^There's one by the station too...

Anyone else catch Wiggins impersonating Armstrong on yesterday's podcast? Clearly a listener... :D
    - @ddraver
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    iainf72 wrote:
    john1967 wrote:

Why? Why should Alaphilippe wear it?

He was having his backside handed to him today and he would've been 5 minutes down at the end. 45 seconds or whatever flatters him.

Well that looked likely but they were racing for the end of the stage quite some way out not the top of an intermediate mountain. We just dont really know. It's all very unsatisfactoy
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:

Yes, where are the highlights? As I missed today's craziness, I was looking forward to watching.