TDF 2019, Stage 20: Albertville > Val Thorens 27/07/2019 - 130 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    ignore
  • slim_boy_fat
    How much time does Bernal & Thomas have to play with?
    EAa3IrWWkAA_5W0?format=jpg&name=large
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Worst possible stage for Kruijswijk
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,618
    What's the red thing on the back of Alaphilippe's helmet?
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,436
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Eurosport update: Bradley’s wearing Fila and those lovely people at VW are bringing electric cars to the people, for the people. They’re doing it for US!

Eurosport update: Sean Kelly surprisingly forthright about yesterday. He thinks Bernal might not necessarily have made it to the finish and he thinks Thomas was the big loser, as could have come out on top in the end.
    He's also picked him ftw today.

This aligns with my thoughts on yesterday's stage... Bernal was likely to have been brought back by group of De Plus, Kruiswijk, Buchmann etc... I think G sitting in wheels probably lost most out of yesterday's decision...

Anyways we wil never know. Hope things light up soon
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,813
    So much desperation, so little time.
    A 'not the smartest tools in the box' group getting a few seconds lead.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    So much desperation, so little time.
    A 'not the smartest tools in the box' group getting a few seconds lead.

How come?

If you can’t follow the best why not get a head start?
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    MrB123 wrote:
    What's the red thing on the back of Alaphilippe's helmet?

Crash detection device. ANGI

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/stories/angi
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Cameras picking out JA apparently shaking Bernal’s hand and Kirby falling for the sentimental view: JA was actually shaking out the last of Bernal’s sherbet.
  • PhilipPirrip
    PhilipPirrip Posts: 616
    Is this a homage to the 1974 Plymouth stage?
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Was just going to ask where the spectator is?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Quintana getting his radio sorted by the Movi team car.
    Danish commentary: "His radio has given him problems his whole career, what's he going to use it for today?"

:-D
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Craigus89 wrote:
    To be fair, if the stage had finished yesterday Bernal might have a 4 minute lead, at least there is some interest today!

Bullshit! He might have blown up on Tignes and Thomas be in yellow.

He hasn't won a stage yet, so if he wants to put his stamp on this victory and not be thought of as a lucky winner he needs to win today.
    The way he was riding? Yeah, sure he would have.

Have you watched cycling before? How many attacks from 50km out get reeled back in? Bernal has not been the best at any point up until the Iseran. To say he'd be gaining 5+ minutes on a 7km climb is ridiculously counterfactual.

The Galibier, no?

I am obviously sad for Geraint, but like him, pretty philosophical about what happens on the road.
    I have to admit that it appears that Bernal has had the best legs, so far in the Alps.
    But I agree that a 4 minute lead, given the chase group constitution is more than a bit fanciful.
    To much pointless speculation and "what iffing" going on.

Just for the record I was questioning the idea that Bernal was about to blow up - I agree he probably wouldnt have had a 4+ minute lead on GC (although its plausible he might have got a couple of minutes or so over Alaphillippe, Alaphillippe probably would have been overhauled by other riders).

Bernal and Yates had every incentive to work together and it looked like they were starting to work well. The group behind had Thomas sitting on too.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    If we’re doing what ifs , had froome been there we might be looking at first second and third all going to Ineos
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Kruijswijk means business: he’s changing from his aero clothes hanger to his lightweight climbing one.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Bernal can handle the flat, and he was away with a top GC class rider who was stage-hunting with a proven record of winning from the break. He wasn't solo.
  • ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    Bob, I'm not trying to suggest Bernal would have blown up. Just that to suggest he would have somehow put the race to bed by minutes is pointless speculation not founded in reality.

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    If we’re doing what ifs , had froome been there we might be looking at first second and third all going to Ineos

At least one of the three would have been burnt as a domestique. Probably Bernal, with the promise that the future was his.
  • alanparsons
    Bernal can handle the flat, and he was away with a top GC class rider who was stage-hunting with a proven record of winning from the break. He wasn't solo.

How about Bernal makes a pact with Yates, they ease up and allow the Thomas group to catch, then Bernal, Thomas and Yates hammer the rest on the climb to Tignes.
    Ineos pair sit up to give Yates the stage, Bernal has a mystery mechanical in last 50m and finishes on foot 20 seconds behind G.
    Thomas in Yellow.

We can all make up a fantasy stage finish.........
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Back to today's race, which unlike the second half of yesterday's is being played out on the road, not in people's heads...

Jumbo take it up from the foot of the climb.
  • rick_chasey
    Fairly punchy front group. Zakarin, Nibali
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    What if there had been a meteorite strike?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    Back to today's race, which unlike the second half of yesterday's is being played out on the road, not in people's heads...

Pace has gone up as a lot have gone out the back.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    edited July 2019
    ignore
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • alanparsons

Sorry, I thought I was replying in yesterdays stage thread.

Jumbo going all in on the front, Kwiato off the back already.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    What if there had been a meteorite strike?

Valverde would be in yellow. Even if it hit him directly he'd have slipped through the gaps between molecules.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861
    edited July 2019
    How much time does Bernal & Thomas have to play with?
    enough

Bernal has 1:23 to kruijswicjk the strongest rival it seems. jumbo pushing for the podium they need 38secs on JA ...i doubt G will crack
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • slim_boy_fat
    Jumbo piling on the pressure.
  • rick_chasey
    Expect an acceleration from Jumbo soon.

Kruijswijk s only chance is if it’s as hard as possible
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Sorry, I thought I was replying in yesterdays stage thread.

Jumbo going all in on the front, Kwiato off the back already.

Wasn't directed at you, I was doing it as well ;-)