Boris as PM

18910111214»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

as an aside (an sorry if this has been covered long long ago!) does anyone know how they collect the data for the polls? where do they ask people?

i could probably just google it but i'm being lazy!

More to the point, why?
    I'd like to think that people are going to vote according to their principles rather than by what other people think, but I realise that I am probably over estimating the public.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    pblakeney said:

as an aside (an sorry if this has been covered long long ago!) does anyone know how they collect the data for the polls? where do they ask people?

More to the point, why?
    I'd like to think that people are going to vote according to their principles rather than by what other people think, but I realise that I am probably over estimating the public.

I don't think that's the point he's making.

Although I voted by post today according to my principles :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    The conservative party I grew up with has transmogrified beyond reasonable expectation. How bad must it have got that Kenny Clarke and Micky Heseltine have walked away from it?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    motogull said:

The conservative party I grew up with has transmogrified beyond reasonable expectation. How bad must it have got that Kenny Clarke and Micky Heseltine have walked away from it?

Brexit is a divisive isue and those two are strongly remain.

Now look at who has walked away from the Labour party and why.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    pblakeney said:

More to the point, why?

do you why do they collect the data or why do i want to know?

you'd be very surprised how people are swayed by what others do/are doing, either consciously or subconsciously - there is a whole load of marketing for almost anything that works on the "people like you are..." principle.

i was more interested from a reliability standpoint - it must be really really difficult to get a representative sample - once you take into account location, age, gender, nationality, religion, previous voting, occupation, income and any number of other things that may be a contributing factor you'd need a huge sample size to make it remotely usable, with any statistical significance at least.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

pblakeney said:

More to the point, why?

do you why do they collect the data or why do i want to know?

you'd be very surprised how people are swayed by what others do/are doing, either consciously or subconsciously - there is a whole load of marketing for almost anything that works on the "people like you are..." principle.

i was more interested from a reliability standpoint - it must be really really difficult to get a representative sample - once you take into account location, age, gender, nationality, religion, previous voting, occupation, income and any number of other things that may be a contributing factor you'd need a huge sample size to make it remotely usable, with any statistical significance at least.
    The "why" was about the relevance of polls.
    I'd like to think people will vote according to their principles rather than what other people think. I acknowledge that I will be disappointed. People after all...
    Also, who do they ask, and are they reliable? Chances are if I answer a random on the street I will wind them up for wasting my time, assuming I stop in the first place.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.