Boris as PM

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    A volatile currency is not the behaviour of a stable nation with a confidence inspiring government or political situation.

Tell me this, what has the sterling trend been since the ref vote?

Or will you just avoid to answer that?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    A volatile currency is not the behaviour of a stable nation with a confidence inspiring government or political situation.

You already know the answer, it's easily available in the public domain. Here's a 5 year graph to add to the 2 year graph i posted before:-
    https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=5Y

Now Mr question avoider, care to answer my question above about why you go quiet when Sterling rises?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You already know the answer, it's easily available in the public domain. Here's a 5 year graph to add to the 2 year graph i posted before:-

Now Mr question avoider, care to answer my question above about why you go quiet when Sterling rises?

Because they're not record breaking rises, whereas these drops are pretty precipitous, particularly when you consider the context in which they're occurring.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

Stevo, I admire your persistence but if sterling was rising these little spivs would ignore that and say the FTSE is going lower because of Brexit :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    FTSE100 is predominantly made up of USD denominated firms, so it mechanistically rises as sterling falls.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    FTSE100 doesn't really have a lot to do with the health of the UK economy.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Because they're not record breaking rises, whereas these drops are pretty precipitous, particularly when you consider the context in which they're occurring.

To follow up, here's sky's Economics editor.

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/ ... 4788283392
    The pound sterling is now at its weakest vs a basket of other currencies since Bloomberg began tracking it in 2004. Weaker than during financial crisis. Weaker than post referendum.

EAt2dmbWkAA_L_E.jpg
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    Were dooooomed

Doooooomed I tell you
  • kingstongraham
    It's ok, there will be adequate supplies of glucose.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The pound sterling is now at its weakest vs a basket of other currencies since Bloomberg began tracking it in 2004. Weaker than during financial crisis. Weaker than post referendum.

EAt2dmbWkAA_L_E.jpg

Look at Euro vs Dollar - dropped off in 2014/15 - GBP did similar, just a couple of years later.
    GBP vs Euro - it had a couple of year peak and has dropped back ...

Not surprising given the fact that nobody really knows what's going to happen in Oct.

Of course, we could look short term and put GBP back into growth - but will that cost GBP longer term? Are we better off taking a hit now and then really taking off post Brexit mess ... ?
    Who knows ... and that's kinda the point.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    I did wonder why the BBC stopped quoting in the radio news roundups that trade weighted basket index figure some time ago. Well, sort of knew why. They also stopped more recently quoting the € rate, now is only $ rate. Bleedin' left wing liberal bias innit.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Slowbike wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

EAt2dmbWkAA_L_E.jpg

Look at Euro vs Dollar - dropped off in 2014/15 - GBP did similar, just a couple of years later.
    GBP vs Euro - it had a couple of year peak and has dropped back ...

Not surprising given the fact that nobody really knows what's going to happen in Oct.

Of course, we could look short term and put GBP back into growth - but will that cost GBP longer term? Are we better off taking a hit now and then really taking off post Brexit mess ... ?
    Who knows ... and that's kinda the point.

LOL - this swing reflects the world’s collective wisdom about the long term impact on the relative health of the UK economy.

If you are looking for straws to clutch it is customary to claim it is beneficial for UK exporters and domestic holiday providers.
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Were dooooomed

Doooooomed I tell you

I'm not. I have a good proportion of my dividends paid in USD and Euros.

And all this stuff about trickle down..

Trickle up is the name of the game these days. Monetise every human activity you can grab and take the crumbs away from the proles. Bring back tommy shops.

Trickle down certainly has them fooled, mind you!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

That doesn't answer my question and you know it doesn't.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Stevo, I admire your persistence but if sterling was rising these little spivs would ignore that and say the FTSE is going lower because of Brexit :roll:
    True, there's always a negative angle if you look hard enough. As I've mentioned a few times in the past, it's a desperate need to be able to say 'I told to so!' rather than any sort of balanced appraisal.
  • Stevo_666
    Were dooooomed

Doooooomed I tell you
    Its easy to start thinking that way if you listen to the Losing Mentality Squad on here for long enough.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

True, there's always a negative angle if you look hard enough. As I've mentioned a few times in the past, it's a desperate need to be able to say 'I told to so!' rather than any sort of balanced appraisal.

So if you measure FTSE performance in dollars since the ref it hasn’t moved. Not the case with the other continental European indexes.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    There was a GBP graph floating about on the twitter earlier.
    Timeframe from the start of the Blair premiership to now.
    It told the story of UK politics.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey

If you are looking for straws to clutch it is customary to claim it is beneficial for UK exporters and domestic holiday providers.

The data suggests otherwise.

If ya have an FT sub:

https://www.ft.com/content/615ae7ba-b2b ... cab53d6959

The idea was that a fall in sterling would rejuvenate British industry: exports would become cheaper to overseas buyers, leading to higher demand and sales. Faster growth in exports would boost the economy, along with job creation and wages.

The pound is once again under pressure, with a further depreciation expected if the UK leaves the EU without a deal. But while some commentators continue to argue that a weaker currency can help the stimulate the economy, the data suggest a different narrative is playing out.

Between the end of 2015 and the end of the first quarter of 2019, trade-weighted sterling fell 12.1 per cent. Meanwhile, the manufacturing sector as a share of the total value added of the economy rose from 10.02 per cent to 10.07 per cent. And as a share of total employment, manufacturing increased from 7.69 per cent to 7.7 per cent — hardly the rebalancing some had hoped for.

The trade data are even worse. In the first quarter of 2019, net trade reduced GDP growth by 3.4 percentage points compared with a year earlier. This is the most negative quarterly year-on-year contribution from trade since records began in 1955.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Saw this last month but it seems relevant now to p1ss on the spivs bonfires

UK exports boom in all 4 nations

In the 2018/19 financial year, goods exports from:

England grew at 3.0% to £251.9bn
    Scotland grew at 12.9% to £32.8bn
    Wales grew at 7.5% to £17.7bn
    Northern Ireland grew at 4.4% to £9.0bn

All of the UK nations have now recorded at least 3 consecutive financial years of goods export growth, illustrating the consistency of the success of exporters up and down the country.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-exports-boom-in-all-4-nations
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Embarrassing logical fail...made worse through your apparent (and somewhat ironic) ignorance of the meaning of ‘spiv’...
  • robert88
    Whoops! Coopster not clever enough to pi5s on a bonfire.. Who knew?
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

All of the UK nations have now recorded at least 3 consecutive financial years of goods export growth, illustrating the consistency of the success of exporters up and down the country.

Best elevate your vision to the future.

What happens when we haven’t got trade agreements for businesses to export? That point is not disputed if we crash out with no deal.

Ever heard of tariffs?

Have you heard what the head of Vauxhall said, he’ll close UK plant if profits are hit? This view will be widespread within the boards of international companies who are obliged to ensure a maximum return to their shareholders.

Oh and anything Liam Fox signs off on would mean much closer scrutiny as it says more in what it doesn’t say. It omits where those exports are heading, I wonder what the % is to the EU?
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

What happens when we haven’t got trade agreements for businesses to export? That point is not disputed if we crash out with no deal.

Ever heard of tariffs?

Have you heard what the head of Vauxhall said, he’ll close UK plant if profits are hit? This view will be widespread within the boards of international companies who are obliged to ensure a maximum return to their shareholders.

Oh and anything Liam Fox signs off on would mean much closer scrutiny as it says more in what it doesn’t say. It omits where those exports are heading, I wonder what the % is to the EU?

I do admire the view of a global car brands inability to see that there is some link between brand loyalty and nationality. He could shut Luton with capability for about 100000 light commercial vehicles such as vans and Ellesmere with the ability to produce 187000 cars however the question is at what point does Vauxhall fail to remain a British brand with any links to its buyers. So by all means push the nuclear button and close the plants but he may find that no amount of advertising gets his imported cars sold in UK forecourts. It is not an accident that there are a lot of French cars within France and German cars in Germany. Will businesses be willing to overlook this relationship and potentially harm their sales significantly. I could run a pretty effective social media campaign post Brexit against brands that have no loyalty to a significant market as I am sure many others could as well. Good luck to the man.

For the record tariffs are a two way thing so his imported vauxhalls might start to not look very attractive.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 wrote:

I do admire the view of a global car brands inability to see that there is some link between brand loyalty and nationality. He could shut Luton with capability for about 100000 light commercial vehicles such as vans and Ellesmere with the ability to produce 187000 cars however the question is at what point does Vauxhall fail to remain a British brand with any links to its buyers. So by all means push the nuclear button and close the plants but he may find that no amount of advertising gets his imported cars sold in UK forecourts. It is not an accident that there are a lot of French cars within France and German cars in Germany. Will businesses be willing to overlook this relationship and potentially harm their sales significantly. I could run a pretty effective social media campaign post Brexit against brands that have no loyalty to a significant market as I am sure many others could as well. Good luck to the man.

For the record tariffs are a two way thing so his imported vauxhalls might start to not look very attractive.

Vauxhall is a UK brand of Opel which is a German car manufacturer which in turn is ultimately owned by Groupe PSA who are French and also own Citroen and Peugeot.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... itiful-90m

Worth noting the report today on car industry investment.
    Investment in Britain’s car industry has effectively stopped amid fears over Brexit, with a “pitiful” £90m pledged for new developments in the first six months of this year, according to the industry body.

Before Brexit clouded the horizon, the automotive industry was investing between £2.5bn and £2.7bn a year in research and development.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders (SMMT) said a Brexit deal was imperative to help the embattled industry to bounce back, otherwise the government will face demands for the same type of tax breaks farmers need to stay afloat.

The SMMT also revealed that the industry has sunk £330m into contingency plans for a no-deal.

“That shows you the scale of expenditure having to be made potentially for no reason if we get a deal,” said Mike Hawes, SMMT’s chief executive.
  • robert88
    john80 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Ever heard of tariffs?

I don't have the slightest brand loyalty and replace my cars when they reach two years old. I doubt if I would buy a Vauxhall, Only British-made car I have owned was a Honda years ago. BTW what's the news from Swindon?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    john80 wrote:

Vauxhall is a UK brand of Opel which is a German car manufacturer which in turn is ultimately owned by Groupe PSA who are French and also own Citroen and Peugeot.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... itiful-90m

Worth noting the report today on car industry investment.
    Investment in Britain’s car industry has effectively stopped amid fears over Brexit, with a “pitiful” £90m pledged for new developments in the first six months of this year, according to the industry body.

Before Brexit clouded the horizon, the automotive industry was investing between £2.5bn and £2.7bn a year in research and development.

The Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders (SMMT) said a Brexit deal was imperative to help the embattled industry to bounce back, otherwise the government will face demands for the same type of tax breaks farmers need to stay afloat.

The SMMT also revealed that the industry has sunk £330m into contingency plans for a no-deal.

“That shows you the scale of expenditure having to be made potentially for no reason if we get a deal,” said Mike Hawes, SMMT’s chief executive.
    They've been re-badged Opels since 1980. They're as British as the local Lidl.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    rjsterry wrote:
    They've been re-badged Opels since 1980. They're as British as the local Lidl.
    Not only that, but look at the cars on the road today.
    Many Vauxhalls?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Were dooooomed

Doooooomed I tell you
    Its easy to start thinking that way if you listen to the Losing Mentality Squad on here for long enough.

As a remain voter, do you now think that leaving with no deal is going to be positive for the country?

For me it'll probably be OK based on the fact that we normally muddle through but I can't be sure. Best case not disastrous with no great benefits from it.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Robert88 wrote:
    john80 wrote:
    Slowmart wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Ever heard of tariffs?

I don't have the slightest brand loyalty and replace my cars when they reach two years old. I doubt if I would buy a Vauxhall, Only British-made car I have owned was a Honda years ago. BTW what's the news from Swindon?

You also must be flush with cash or very poor at managing it by buying or leasing a new car every two years. Good to see someone is supporting the motor industry with this two year cycle that they so desperately need at the minute.