May has gone - ding dong the utter, utter, total failure of a prime minister is gone

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    For the record I don't buy into this model bus making as a clever SEO strategy.
    It seems like a back filling of strategy.

I can just about believe that he was told to make news with a non-negative bus story, and this is what came out. I can't believe that his campaign intended it to basically be Rowley Birkin.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    For the record I don't buy into this model bus making as a clever SEO strategy.
    It seems like a back filling of strategy.

I can just about believe that he was told to make news with a non-negative bus story, and this is what came out. I can't believe that his campaign intended it to basically be Rowley Birkin.

There's a short video doing the rounds of Johnson's interview cut with scenes of some guy on a headset with piles of reference material trying to feed him answers.

https://www.indy100.com/video/trending/ ... w-d2ZZtPmR
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Saw that on twitter. Was so good.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Got my swivel eyes voting papers in the post today. Is quite pathetic the incredibly narrow focused approach those 2 persons of no repute are peddling to the 0.3% of the electorate who get to decide which one will try to drag the dUK out of the EU into the wilderness with no mandate so to do. Xxxx me, repeal the fox hunting ban? Sums it up.

Bring on the hunger games / civil war / Brexit nirvana / select as appropriate.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    orraloon wrote:
    Got my swivel eyes voting papers in the post today. Is quite pathetic the incredibly narrow focused approach those 2 persons of no repute are peddling to the 0.3% of the electorate who get to decide which one will try to drag the dUK out of the EU into the wilderness with no mandate so to do. Xxxx me, repeal the fox hunting ban? Sums it up.

You still haven't told us who you're going to vote for :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    'Dodger, you've been told this already, as you are not a true Con job swivel eye but just a fanboi then who I vote for between those 2 numpties has got FATDWY. On the other hand, as an internet fanboi you could suggest to the assembly who you would prefer and why.

As an aside, I think this vote has cost me something like £8.36 so far. Might hang around as a 'member' for a bit longer just to witness the increasingly idiotic burblings coming from the Con Jobs. Strong and Stable my arris. And there will be another 'leadership' contest within 12 months. Leadership. Aye, right.
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon wrote:
    'Dodger, you've been told this already, as you are not a true Con job swivel eye but just a fanboi then who I vote for between those 2 numpties has got FATDWY. On the other hand, as an internet fanboi you could suggest to the assembly who you would prefer and why.
    Can you rephrase that in English?

Face facts, you're a leftie so go join the party that you really love. If you weren't so well off it might make sense :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    orraloon wrote:

You still haven't told us who you're going to vote for :wink:

It's the living embodiment of a rock and a hard place.

Steve is pretty weird: voted Remain but adamantly supports the bizarros who took us into this mess and then says, despite supporting the f*ckwits with such religious zeal, he has no vote over their and our future leader. Funny thing democracy: can be turned off and on like the lights. We are in the dark now that's for sure.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    FT reporting that Tories are getting ready for a snap election this year.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589

Keen to offload the toxicity of sorting out Brexit to another party or at least unload partial blame onto a coalition partner?
  • Stevo_666
    Pross wrote:

Keen to offload the toxicity of sorting out Brexit to another party or at least unload partial blame onto a coalition partner?
    Currently ahead in the current voting intentions poll as well.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Highly unlikely that they (or any party) will get a majority though so they can at least share the blame with others!
  • Stevo_666
    Pross wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Highly unlikely that they (or any party) will get a majority though so they can at least share the blame with others!
    True, there is no clear poll leader as expected.
  • rick_chasey
    So Hunt and BoJo are asked in the TV debate what they’re gonna do about the Irish border given the EU has said forever that the deal is not open for renegotiation.

They ignore that and give us their fantasy solutions.
  • rjsterry
    So Hunt and BoJo are asked in the TV debate what they’re gonna do about the Irish border given the EU has said forever that the deal is not open for renegotiation.

They ignore that and give us their fantasy solutions.
    I'm not even sure Johnson is bothering to suggest solutions. There's a vague sense that Hunt knows the reality but feels compelled to spout the fantasies to keep in the game, while Johnson just doesn't care beyond whether he wins.

Summed up by Tim Stanley of the Telegraph: Johnson doesn't answer questions; Hunt gives answers no-one wants to hear.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Pross wrote:

I can see how that might pan out. "no, you go into coalition with the tories". "No, after you I insist". "No, we wouldn't dream of it - we know you really want to. You join up with them".

Etc etc. I suppose that could seriously be their problem - ending up the largest party but a minority with whom nobody would touch going into a coalition with and for very good reasons. You'd have to be nuts to.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I can see how that might pan out. "no, you go into coalition with the tories". "No, after you I insist". "No, we wouldn't dream of it - we know you really want to. You join up with them".

Etc etc. I suppose that could seriously be their problem - ending up the largest party but a minority with whom nobody would touch going into a coalition with and for very good reasons. You'd have to be nuts to.

You spout some tosh but even for you this is bollox.

Remain are so blinded by their actions that as well as destroying democracy by ignoring democratic election results they will also be complicit in breaking up of the United Kingdom. This is because to gain power they will need the support of the SNP, whose only condition will be a Scottish Independence referendum where the government campaigns for the SNP side in said referendum.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

Remain are so blinded by their actions that as well as destroying democracy by ignoring democratic election results they will also be complicit in breaking up of the United Kingdom. This is because to gain power they will need the support of the SNP, whose only condition will be a Scottish Independence referendum where the government campaigns for the SNP side in said referendum.

Sounds a bit Project Fear to me.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I guess we'll be able to find out soon enough. Coopster is staking his forum reputation of considered, thoughtful and intelligent reasoned thought by predicting a Tory SNP coalition and consequent referendum on Scottish independence supported by the government. You heard it here first.
  • rick_chasey
    If you guys can stop quoting Coopster then I won't ever have to see his posts.
  • rolf_f

You're missing out. They can be pretty funny in a headbangy sort of way. Besides, it is a useful reminder of how this clusterfck actually happened.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270

Can I put in a similar appeal for Robert88?
  • rick_chasey
    Rolf F wrote:

You're missing out. They can be pretty funny in a headbangy sort of way. Besides, it is a useful reminder of how this clusterfck actually happened.

I lost the will to read them when i realised he doesn't share the common meanings for words.
  • rjsterry
    Slightly dispiriting watching various Tory MPs abandoning previously firmly held beliefs for a chance at getting/keeping a job in cabinet post-May.

Liz "The Truss" Truss is particularly cringe-inducing and sooo wants to be Chancellor.
    Asked to respond to Jeremy Hunt’s criticism that Johnson’s plan for lowering the higher rate of tax threshold made them seem like the party of the rich, she said: “If we are never, ever prepared to cut taxes for people earning £60,000 I think that is a problem … I mentioned Nigel Lawson earlier. In his budget in 1988, he cut the top rates of tax … What it led to is an economic revolution in our country and we have to be prepared to make those arguments.”

Pretty sure I remember a recession in the early '90s.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    There a few Thatcherite MP’s polishing Boris’s knob in readiness for taking up key roles within the new cabinet.

I’m not too concerned as Boris has to be voted in by the Tory membership and I’m still hopeful that some element of common sense prevails there. If I’m proved wrong and Boris becomes PM it won’t last long as the positions are more polarised than before and with a majority of two in Parliament which includes the DUP.

Boris v Corbyn? A more likely campaign will be no deal or remain.

Now that’s a quandary, which would be more destructive to the UK economy.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666

Form an orderly queue :)

Subtle boasting is sometimes the most obvious.
  • rjsterry
    A nice assessment of columnists and Boris Johnson in particular, by Matthew Parris.
    There is communism; there is capitalism, Conservatism, Catholicism — and there is columnism. It’s a cast of mind. Its practitioners are a type. First, foremost and for ever, Boris will be a columnist. The reflections on his and my trade which follow should be read also as thoughts on Johnson himself.

Columnism is striking poses which (as any method actor will tell you) will only convince others if you yourself can temporarily inhabit the belief. You are counsel for the prosecution or defence of an idea, or dream, or fear, hatred, party or politician. You take a brief, elbow doubt and ambiguity aside, and go — joyously or ferociously but always (in the moment) with passion and conviction — full pelt. What columnism is not is making absolutely sure first that you’re right. To be frank, you sometimes rather doubt it.

Columnism is embracing a plan or project as a faithless man might embrace a woman: with an intensity no less sincere for being passing, ever-ready to flip the project or lady once their usefulness is past. It is hugging a set of principles fiercely to your breast while (should these principles not work out) keeping a wandering eye out for some spare ones down the back of the sofa.

I think he's spot on with that.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    rjsterry wrote:
    A nice assessment of columnists and Boris Johnson in particular, by Matthew Parris.
    There is communism; there is capitalism, Conservatism, Catholicism — and there is columnism. It’s a cast of mind. Its practitioners are a type. First, foremost and for ever, Boris will be a columnist. The reflections on his and my trade which follow should be read also as thoughts on Johnson himself.

Columnism is striking poses which (as any method actor will tell you) will only convince others if you yourself can temporarily inhabit the belief. You are counsel for the prosecution or defence of an idea, or dream, or fear, hatred, party or politician. You take a brief, elbow doubt and ambiguity aside, and go — joyously or ferociously but always (in the moment) with passion and conviction — full pelt. What columnism is not is making absolutely sure first that you’re right. To be frank, you sometimes rather doubt it.

Columnism is embracing a plan or project as a faithless man might embrace a woman: with an intensity no less sincere for being passing, ever-ready to flip the project or lady once their usefulness is past. It is hugging a set of principles fiercely to your breast while (should these principles not work out) keeping a wandering eye out for some spare ones down the back of the sofa.

Though to be fair it would save a lot of words just to describe him as a tw@t and a khunt and an utter steaming sh1t. But otherwise it is spot on!
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Form an orderly queue :)

Subtle boasting is sometimes the most obvious.

As I understand it, the technology allows it. Why don't you both? :lol: I shan't respond in kind, trust me on that!
  • rjsterry
    Rolf F wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Though to be fair it would save a lot of words just to describe him as a tw@t and a khunt and an utter steaming sh1t. But otherwise it is spot on!

It would save words but would provide no insight. I don't think he's likely to be insulted out of office. When you read some of his writing from across the last couple of decades it all fits into this analysis. He believes in nothing and everything.
    Pinnacle Monzonite